Alamaze - New

Full Version: 301 - Forum Diplomacy Only Steel SVC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OOC: Check the record yourself, it's all right there. As for abrasive, you're doing a pretty good job yourself there, pal. And I'm not trying to tell GN what to do, just looking out for a new player, because that's what most of us try to do, here.

EDIT: "Acererak
DE- GN
How very kind of you, but I'll pass for now. I'm more interested to see who else might be interested in buying it. As they'll have to let you know here, their intentions couldn't very well be good to me could they? If you'd like to give it to me as a gesture of your friendship I would be thankful."

Acererak

LOL...it's called sarcasm. I tend to excel at it. I'm not personally upset but just giving back at ya.

I'm familiar with the record- but that's old news. The latest was me wondering why I had to pay 3X the cost of the UN, and offered on the spot to meet the same price.
OOC: Fine, glad we're cool, then. And I guess you and UN will just end up waiting with bated breath on what GN decides. Wink

Acererak

Absolutely, I'd still be happy to meet just about anyone in the Alamaze universe and have a beer. I'm in Seattle for reference.
GN-ALL

I have decided to keep the dagger for now. I may offer it again in a few turns.

Frodrich
UN-RD

Your Count, I have. To you, return I do. 6,000 credit, you still have. 10,000 more gold, for Count, the ransom you can pay. And for now, last big hunt, you will receive. With Agent 16, against RA.

UN-RA

For Queen, coming I am. Early kidnap, we try. If success, highest agent honor, Agent 16 will receive. And the best we are, to prove, nothing more is needed. If success, treated well, as a guest, your Queen will be. And regime change, for you may be good. And ransom back, for Queen, we will consider. 50,000 gold, perhaps.

UN-BL

33,000 gold, credit you have. Helping RA with ransom, you consider, perhaps.

UN-EL

For your thoughts, we still await.

Acererak

DE-UN

I asked for missions available against the Elf, can you let me know what levels and cost you have available? 
WI - DW

Just wanted to send you confirmation of the artifact trade this turn.
OOC:  I'd like to make a few remarks since I was referenced several times and will then step out of this as I really, really prefer all my game comments to be IC as Lady SteelHawk (that's why I opted to play this particular game) and because there seems to be some deep-seated issues among players that I'm certainly not privy too nor really want to get entangled in.

1)  I'm not mad at any player in this game nor have I been offended by anyone.

2)  It does suck to be on the wrong end of a 3-1 but I also know that this is a war game and stuff like that is going to happen.  And I do consider it a 3-1 because three different kingdoms are doing harm to my kingdom on the same turns.  Trying to rationalize that its only a "little" harm, or only a portion of one's full might, is just rationalizing.  It doesn't matter if its military, covert, diplomatic, economic, magic, etc. or how much or how little... its 3 kingdoms all hitting one at the same time (whether coordinated or not) and the net effect is pronounced for the recipient.  Whether a player chooses to participate in a 3-1 is entirely up to them (and I certainly greatly respect LT's position to not engage in them no matter what) but they should own it when they do.  

3) As I mentioned before, I purposely role-played a brash, "never-surrender", iron-willed, full of herself, "don't take crap from nobody", Ranger queen specifically for this game.  And yes, she had no problem poking the bear (RD) to make this point and I was aware of the consequences (though, for the record, I was holding my own when it was just me and the bear).  As Ry Vor likes to point out, different players have different motivations in different games and my goal in this one was less concerned about winning.... but rather to be recognized/remembered for consistent, quality role-play.

4)  Actually, two things have really frustrated me about this particular game.  First, I mistakenly assumed that it was going to be all "IC" public diplomacy.  There has been way too much OOC commentary for my tastes which I find hugely inappropriate and distracting.  If I was to do this format again, I would only want to play if ALL posts had to be IC.  I think it would alleviate a lot of problems.  Second, while I understand why its prudent, I was shocked when virtually every player NAPPed themselves into a long-term cocoon with their neighbors. To each his own I guess, but I thought Alamaze was a war game (to me this is analogous to playing Axis and Allies and all the players agreeing to not have any combat for the first five turns and just build up).  And once everyone else is doing it (NAPPing up), anyone that doesn't (or gets started too late and finds that everyone else has enough dance partners already), you're pretty much the big bullseye in the game. It's also hugely advantageous to the old veterans who know each other and NAP/ally/trade block up together (compared to newer players) as well as those who get onto the Forums first and have 8 deals cut before other players have even visited the Forum. Something to consider for future games and the gaming community.

5)  I'd also recommend if doing a future Public Diplomacy game, that it start with a 3-day window where players can post a single IC post (if they want) that introduces their King/Queen/Diplomat character to the rest of the game so we all have a sense of who they are and they can propose potential NAPS, alliances, trades, deals, etc. but no one can agree to anything until after that 3 day window closes, so that everyone is on more equal footing at least early on, having gotten to hear what everyone is pitching and not rewarding those who simply get on the Forum the fastest and the most often.

I will endeavor to make this my second and last OOC post for this game unless someone really calls me out and forces me to respond.  As always... just my 2 cents.
OOC: From the very first post of the signup thread: "Role-Playing Encouraged But Not Required."

Other variant ideas are of course fine, and people are free to propose whatever they want for a future game. That is not this game, however.

I will let the rest pass out of respect for IT's wishes, and simply say that I largely disagree, and leave it at that.