Alamaze - New

Full Version: 301 - Forum Diplomacy Only Steel SVC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
GN-UN

You did bid just make sure you vote yes.

Frodrich
Observer

Wow, this second full diplomacy game is a good read. This stuff is even better than the "News From the Front" reports from the Alamaze Oracle newsletters that were published in the late 80's-90's that first stoked my interest in Alamaze and served as such a valuable aid in learning and appreciating the game.

Suggestion: It just occurred to me that it would be very helpful for observers/non-players reading these threads to follow the game if a player posted the in-game public announcements (transfers, alliance declarations, regional control changes, etc.) after each turn processes and status points posted when they're out. I'll start doing that in 198 each turn unless someone beats me to it.

One last thought for those new to full diplomacy - it helps to have consistency in formatting, what we tried doing in 198 is as follows: addressing other kingdoms is done in bold (e.g. DW -> BL), in-character text is in italics (e.g. I shall feed your children to my wyverns!) and OOC text is done without markup.

Interesting to see that Lord Thanatos' silence in 198 is apparently driven more from a character-perspective than a lack of ability or affinity for engaging in the dialogue.

Barry
Totally agree on all counts, Vulkar. Especially LT's excellent writing and participation being Kingdom-driven! Makes his silent WI all the more ominous in 195.

I'll go ahead and do the turn-by-turn public results for this game, Vulkar can do 195.

--

T1 Results (Public)

--

High Council The Underworld kingdom won election to the High Council with a bid of
27,798 gold.

Enemy/Ally The Black Dragon King has declared the Underworld King an ally!

--

No regions controlled

--

Activities of the High Council

The Issue Decided By The High Council This Past Month Was:

No Issue Was Brought Before The High Council.

The High Council Voted As Follows:

Underworld Abstain

The New Issue Before The Council:

The Underworld Kingdom Put This Motion Before The Esteemed High Council:
In Recognition Of His Magnanimous Policies And Peace-Seeking Intentions We Move That The
Underworld Ruler Be Officially Commended (Influence Up 1) By This Body.

The High Council Vote For This Issue Shall Be By Open Ballot.

--

Status of Kingdom Relationships

The following chart shows which kingdoms have declared allies and enemies. In addition, it
shows which kingdoms have entered into marriages of state, a binding form of non-aggression
which prevents hostile military and political actions toward the wedded kingdom. The chart
also displays the natural enemies in the campaign. Natural enemies are enemies which will
always remain enemies throughout the camppaign. A kingdom's influence will rise and fall
proportionally to the failures and successes of its natural enemy. To see the declarations a
kingdom has made, read across the row beginning with their abbreviation. To see the
declarations made for or against a certain kingdom, read down from the column underneath their
abbreviation, as follows:

'A' - Marriage Status ' ' - Neutrality 'e' - Declared Enemy
'a' - Declared Ally 'E' - Natural Enemy

AN BL DE DW EL GI GN RA RD UN WA WI
AN | | | E | | | | | | | | | |
BL | | | | | | | | | E | a | | |
DE | E | | | | | | | | | | | |
DW | | | | | | | E | | | | | |
EL | | | | | | | | | | | | |
GI | | | | | | | | | | | | E |
GN | | | | E | | | | | | | | |
RA | | | | | | | | | | | | |
RD | | E | | | | | | | | | | |
UN | | | | | | | | | | | | |
WA | | | | | | | | | | | | |
WI | | | | | | E | | | | | | |
AN BL DE DW EL GI GN RA RD UN WA WI
(12-10-2015, 03:27 AM)Acererak Wrote: [ -> ](OOC - How in the heck do you trade co-ordinates with only forum communication? This is really interesting but also annoying. Lots different but really need to shift my brain here)

OOC: It is different, and I could totally see how it could be annoying, especially initially.  But I honestly see this as more of a feature, rather than a bug, as it tends to limit coordination and blitzkriegs, and "democratize" the game a bit, with more information coming out publicly making it harder for a player to dominate.

As we play this format out, I think it helps in a number of areas.  Victory will be more challenging, games will tend to last longer, drops will be less frequent, newer players will obtain better and more satisfying results, and (generally speaking) more fun will be had.

I totally get how this format won't be for everyone, but thus far, it's my favorite by a significant margin.

Acererak

(12-06-2015, 03:00 AM)Mad Hatter Wrote: [ -> ]WA-DE

Master of Deception, we have taken your opening gesture to council and we believe that we may be able to work together in subduing the fire and making it bend to our will.

Red Magus (w/the Many Hats)

(12-10-2015, 06:31 PM)HeadHoncho Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-10-2015, 03:27 AM)Acererak Wrote: [ -> ](OOC - How in the heck do you trade co-ordinates with only forum communication? This is really interesting but also annoying. Lots different but really need to shift my brain here)

OOC: It is different, and I could totally see how it could be annoying, especially initially.  But I honestly see this as more of a feature, rather than a bug, as it tends to limit coordination and blitzkriegs, and "democratize" the game a bit, with more information coming out publicly making it harder for a player to dominate.

As we play this format out, I think it helps in a number of areas.  Victory will be more challenging, games will tend to last longer, drops will be less frequent, newer players will obtain better and more satisfying results, and (generally speaking) more fun will be had.

I totally get how this format won't be for everyone, but thus far, it's my favorite by a significant margin.

Yep, I can see how it would help on the 3 on 1 or whatnot. I'm enjoying it but I just want everyone to know that I'm not as into writing in character- mostly because I'm freaking busy at work and home. Want all to understand that doesn't mean I don't read every post. I'm known as sometimes short and direct anyway so being the Demon Prince perhaps works well for me in the game. I do appreciate everyone else's effort to play in character.
OOC: Totally fair, and frankly I think it would be absolutely fine to play an entire game with just OOC remarks, with other people responding either OOC or IC, as they prefer.
GN-DE

OOC

Hi,

Would like to offer a NAP thru turn 15 or A mutual defense treaty.

Matthew
BL

OOC: I do not know how I overlooked that the UN did, in fact, successfully bid on the next issue for the High Council.  In no way does this change that if I were the UN in this type of Forum-Only Diplomacy game I would tell everyone that I plan on raising the next issue for only 500 gold again.  Furthermore, if the next king gets on the Council and out bids me for the issue that king would forfect access to UN protection plans.
(12-09-2015, 10:10 PM)HeadHoncho Wrote: [ -> ]DW-RD

Tremendous Majesty,

I was wondering how your scouting efforts went?  If you happened to find either my village (preferred) or the Witchlord village (secondary), we could use it as a point of reference.

I can confirm that the Rangers have acted upon their hostile words.  Happily, however, I planned for exactly such a contingency.

Did the Rangers similarly trap another one of their high-ranking nobles at Gundibar, as well?  It is always so amusing to see new rulers attempt to play at the game of thrones!

Best,
Grundun

Just following up on my prior message, Tremendous Majesty.  Even if you passed by empty areas, knowing the empty locations would be helpful to me.  Many thanks!

Best,
Grundun

Acererak

(12-10-2015, 06:57 AM)Lord Thanatos Wrote: [ -> ]BL

All the realms in Alamaze are alight with the birth of a new age!  Master Yoda has ascended to First Seat on the High Council, the demi-humans in the north are being led by the mighty Dread Lord, and the Scarlet Wyrm is picking charred dark elven bones from his teeth.  Great events are sure to follow as the grip of the humans is forcefully shattered.  The pure-blooded Rangers seek to stem the tide of change, the wizened Ancient Ones refuse to offer their guidance, and the clever Underworld King intends to be certain his human followers always play an indispensible role in guiding the lands of Alamaze.  Did the Scarlet Wyrm sense the impending upheaval or cause it?  These thoughts and more churned in the Desert King's mind as he once again found himself in the war room looking upon the map of Alamaze.

"MiLord, the Demon Prince agrees to 12 months of peace with us and intimates the possibility of a full alliance thereafter."  Commander Ahzek was pleased to relay this good news to his beloved ruler. "Out kingdoms shall also exchange towns as we close our embassies and recall our troops.  Our scouting groups have already located the Demon Prince embassy in the Southern Sands and, thus, provides a common reference point for us to disclose the exact placement of our embassy in Arcania.  I have already informed the Lord of the Endless Host that he can look four clicks north and eight clicks west from the location of his town to find ours.  I further indicated that during the third month of this new age both of our kingdoms should double tax our former embassies; I anticipate the fearsome Demon Prince will soon indicate that he accepts this plan."

"We have also located the Ranger embassy in the Southern Sands.  I am uncertain what correspondence you desire to send to Lady Steelhawk. And what gifts would you like sent to Master Yoda to congratulate him?"

The Desert King stood and approached his Supreme Commander.  "Convey the following."

BL - DE
Greetings Lord of the Endless Host!

My Supreme Commander informs me that he has already provided to you the location of our Arcania town.  I shall double-tax it on the third month so that title may be tranferred back to you as simply as possible.  I anticipate the same conduct regarding your Southern Sand town and I thank you in advance for so readily accepting this course of action.  I also wish to confirm that Commander Ahzek was acting with my full authority when he conveyed my agreement to promise 12 months of peace between our two kingdoms.  Thank you for having already confirmed your acceptance of the same.  Keep an eye on the northern alliance as those are long-lived races conspiring together.  Best wishes my friend!
DE -BL

Agreed. The mortals in the Sands shall be double taxed on the third month. We thank our neighbor.