Alamaze - New

Full Version: Seeking Your Input for a New Alamaze Map!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello Alamaze Community,

I'm excited about the prospect of creating a new map for Alamaze and want your input to make it the best it can be! Your feedback is crucial in shaping a game environment that you’ll find engaging and enjoyable. We have a few key areas where your opinions and ideas would be incredibly valuable:

1. **Number of Regions**: What’s your ideal map size for Alamaze? We’re considering options of 8, 10, 12, or 14 regions. Please share your preference and the reasons behind it, focusing on factors like strategic depth and playtime.

2. **Number of Players**: How many players should the new map accommodate? The options are 8, 10, or 12 players. Let us know what you think would create the best balance of interaction and competition.

3. **Map Features**: What unique features or elements would you love to see on the new map? Think about things that could add flavor and depth to your gaming experience, such as unique landmarks, special resources, hidden territories, or lore-specific elements.

Your insights will play a significant role in the development of this new map. We’re looking for ideas that will not only enhance the gameplay but also make the world of Alamaze more vibrant and intriguing.

Please reply with your feedback, ideas, and any other suggestions you have. We’re eager to hear what you envision for the future of Alamaze!

Thank you for your participation and continued support!

Best,
John
New map, sounds good!

I always tried to convince Rick to add a new terrain type called, Void. It's an empty square that may only be accessed magically (e.g., a teleport). Impassable travel otherwise. Caused by powerful wizard magic that went awry. Could be cool to be surrounded by a circle or such formation on the map. Perhaps, prized possessions within the protected Voided area...

Another interesting idea would be to add a floating terrain type. This one, flying groups may access as well as teleports. Kind of like the floating citadels of Dragonlance saga.

Also, larger regions (and fewer) would be tougher to conquer and more satisfying as a player. Would there be a new victory condition with this map? The reason is that the default Rex condition would be affected by the total number of regions on the map.

Programming-wise, will be some work to get this done. May want to add 2-3 maps at the same time if possible. Then greater replayability with more maps available that lasts longer for the amount of work being done for them. Go big or go home :>
Cool, I still think updating the new recruitable troops with actual values (like the new monster summoning:all troops have the same breakdown in write ups) for each troop that is not currently unique.

I want to recruit vampires too. Smile

I’ve seen quest US (3) in one region, that probably needs to be revamped it reduces the chances of other US in starting region.

Recently ran into this: select custom item fine US in capital as a customization. The game gave location of an artifact already in possession of group. Really?

I like the void placards on map idea Mike had, maybe do a special encounter for lych or something? Big pot of gold with a bitch leprechaun guarding it? Lol
(04-01-2024, 04:09 AM)Brekk Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Alamaze Community,

I'm excited about the prospect of creating a new map for Alamaze and want your input to make it the best it can be! Your feedback is crucial in shaping a game environment that you’ll find engaging and enjoyable. We have a few key areas where your opinions and ideas would be incredibly valuable:

1. **Number of Regions**: What’s your ideal map size for Alamaze? We’re considering options of 8, 10, 12, or 14 regions. Please share your preference and the reasons behind it, focusing on factors like strategic depth and playtime.

2. **Number of Players**: How many players should the new map accommodate? The options are 8, 10, or 12 players. Let us know what you think would create the best balance of interaction and competition.

3. **Map Features**: What unique features or elements would you love to see on the new map? Think about things that could add flavor and depth to your gaming experience, such as unique landmarks, special resources, hidden territories, or lore-specific elements.

Your insights will play a significant role in the development of this new map. We’re looking for ideas that will not only enhance the gameplay but also make the world of Alamaze more vibrant and intriguing.

Please reply with your feedback, ideas, and any other suggestions you have. We’re eager to hear what you envision for the future of Alamaze!

Best,
John

I believe it would be beneficial to offer games of various sizes, from a 1v1 Duel-type game up to the current size. For example, the 1v1, a four-player mode (teams or free-for-all), an eight-player mode, and the current 12.

I'd also like to see options to allow players to play multiple kingdoms in the same game. This would allow games to get started quicker and thus quicker turn-around. My favorite mode has always been the two-player Titan mode, where each player plays six kingdoms (which, BTW, I up for one if anyone is interested!) Middle Earth PBEM allows this type of play and it seems to work for them.

Exploring options with dissimilar regions strikes me as an interesting idea - much like we have Stormgate, we can have regions that are very small, or the opposite very large and hard to control (much like the original two city regions of years past) or regions dominated by a single terrain. For example, a region which is almost entirely mountains, or another which is nearly all seas with a handful of one or two square islands. Or regions with only a single city and many villages. Or a region with only hidden non-player pop centers. There is a lot to play with here.

There are many map features to explore. Roads and rivers are low-hanging fruit (which also suggests bridges and fords across rivers), hidden mountain passes, caves, and tunnels, the idea of additional terrains - scrub or rough, a middle-ground between plains and forest, impassable mountains, cliffs, cursed forests and swamps, desert oasis, etc. We could brainstorm in this area for some time.

Speaking of non-player pop centers - I have always liked the concept of human-controlled but it would be nice for flavor to have more interesting NPC kingdoms. For example, there could be the "Lost Elves" which hold a few pop centers in a forest region, or the "Empire Remnant" forces which hold a city somewhere. Entirely cosmetic but flavorful and is a starting point to build some Alamaze-specific lore.

Best,
John

I'll leave the number of regions and players up to others, but Map Features is interesting.

I was thinking about "Wild Hexes" which are a few random singular hexes between various regions, belonging to neither, that would have no pop or artifact but would instead grant recruiting bonuses. So imagine a single mountain hex between Nyvaria and the Diamond Coast. You could hide your group there if someone is searching for it. And you could recruit there at, say, half price. Or a 2 for 1 order thing. Whatever. But other kingdoms may send groups there as well and conflict may ensue. No moral bonus or penalty applies for regional reactions because there are no reactions here. And no regional affect spells work here either.

Temples scattered around the map may be found. Stopping your group there may give it a morale bonus or a healing bonus or whatever. Just not if you are Evil. Unless it's an evil temple.

Controversially some hexes may be so hostile and tough to cross that it may cause attrition just by passing through it. Obviously no plains hexes.

Some hexes no one should go in. The Forest of Madness or the Cursed Mountain or whatever. Passing through these hexes will give your group a (50%- Highest leader bonus) chance of getting lost and moving in some random direction. Unless your kingdom has mastery in that terrain. This could also apply to some deep sea hexes.

There could also be an island port town, in no region perhaps, that if controlled gives the kingdom half price at building fleets or a bonus to mercantile fleets.

Some human towns may contain assets. A governor? A general or captain? How about a few Miners? Get that town, or city, you get those assets added to your kingdom. These things would be randomized every game.

Obviously bridges and roads would be a plus, allowing armies to travel faster.
I like all these ideas lol
(04-04-2024, 12:45 AM)Lord Garth Wrote: [ -> ]

Best,
John

I'll leave the number of regions and players up to others, but Map Features is interesting.

I was thinking about "Wild Hexes" which are a few random singular hexes between various regions, belonging to neither, that would have no pop or artifact but would instead grant recruiting bonuses.  So imagine a single mountain hex between Nyvaria and the Diamond Coast.  You could hide your group there if someone is searching for it.  And you could recruit there at, say, half price.  Or a 2 for 1 order thing.  Whatever.  But other kingdoms may send groups there as well and conflict may ensue.  No moral bonus or penalty applies for regional reactions because there are no reactions here.  And no regional affect spells work here either.

Temples scattered around the map may be found.  Stopping your group there may give it a morale bonus or a healing bonus or whatever.  Just not if you are Evil.  Unless it's an evil temple.

Controversially some hexes may be so hostile and tough to cross that it may cause attrition just by passing through it.  Obviously no plains hexes.

Some hexes no one should go in.  The Forest of Madness or the Cursed Mountain or whatever.  Passing through these hexes will give your group a (50%- Highest leader bonus) chance of getting lost and moving in some random direction.  Unless your kingdom has mastery in that terrain.  This could also apply to some deep sea hexes.

There could also be an island port town, in no region perhaps, that if controlled gives the kingdom half price at building fleets or a bonus to mercantile fleets.

Some human towns may contain assets.  A governor?  A general or captain?  How about a few Miners?  Get that town, or city, you get those assets added to your kingdom.  These things would be randomized every game.

Obviously bridges and roads would be a plus, allowing armies to travel faster.
I like em too. God bless UM
How about randomly generated maps so no two games are the same?  I have asked before why no one ever chooses the random city placement option and I never got an answer.
(04-04-2024, 01:54 PM)Wookie Panz Wrote: [ -> ]How about randomly generated maps so no two games are the same?  I have asked before why no one ever chooses the random city placement option and I never got an answer.

Same lol
It would be 50/50 whether Stormgate was at NP or MQ. Wild.
Pages: 1 2