The Iron Province of the Rangers
“Met With Steel”
Dawn of the 4th Cycle of Alamaze
The Rangers of the Frontier Marches, stalwart guardians of the perilous edges of the Frontier, stand as the first line of defense against the myriad dangers that lie beyond. Forged by the unforgiving environment they call home, these resilient warriors embody versatility, adaptability, and unwavering dedication to their cause. As formidable combatants, the Rangers of the Frontier Marches are masters of various forms of warfare, excelling in archery, cavalry, and infantry tactics. Whether engaging in ranged combat with deadly accuracy or executing swift and coordinated maneuvers, the Rangers exemplify tactical prowess and formidable martial prowess.
Complementing their prowess in warfare, the Rangers also possess a cadre of skilled wizards who harness magic and artifacts to further enhance their capabilities. Through the manipulation of arcane forces, these adept spellcasters bolster the Rangers’ strength and provide invaluable support on the battlefield. Beyond their martial prowess, the Rangers of the Frontier Marches understand the importance of diplomacy and leverage the respect and admiration that other nations hold for their unwavering dedication and sacrifices. Their leaders, well-versed in the arts of negotiation and diplomacy, seek to expand their territory and establish a lasting nation that can flourish in the face of adversity.
Under the guidance of their esteemed First Ranger, the Rangers now strive to solidify their dominion, transforming their previously untamed and unclaimed lands into a formidable nation. Through a combination of military might, diplomatic finesse, and unwavering determination, they seek to carve out a realm that not only provides security but also fosters growth, prosperity, and a future filled with endless possibilities.
From Your First Ranger:
Lord of The Rangers of the Frontier Marches, hear my counsel. The Rangers are a nation blessed with strong characters. Your military leaders are the best in Alamaze. Politically, ours is a kingdom to be reckoned with as well. Some of this strength is reflected in the many special rules for our characters and warriors. Since the leaders are strong and the wizards respectable, our Rangers are well suited to recovering artifacts which can aid many aspects of our kingdom. Staking out a sufficient territory to allow for the development of our realm will be important, as no region is likely to fall easily to us. This will likely require diplomacy, as well as bloodshed.
Specialized Traits For Our Kingdom:
The following traits provide special and unique bonuses for our kingdom. These effects are inherent and do not require specific action to enable unless otherwise specified in the section below.
|Cultural||Magic Resistance (Death)|
- Acuity: Groups are never surprised, acts as entrenched. Agents have a reduced -10 points from being captured during missions. Political emissaries get +5 to their rebel/usurp die roll. Characters of this kingdom that become prisoners get 15 points added to their chance of escape.
- Charisma: +1 influence. A bid for an open High Council chair is elevated by 10,000 gold without paying the cost (so a bid of 30,000 actually counts as 40,000).
- Healing: Gains the ability to reduce attrition to kingdom brigades (not entire group). Use Regenerate order #236 with group ID in Column A to heal up to 5% attrition to kingdom brigades. May only issue this regenerate order once per turn per group. An automatic Heal is performed at the end of the turn to all groups that reduces up to 3% attrition to kingdom brigades (no need to issue an order). Leaders and wizards that were killed in battle receive a special saving throw which gives a 33% chance of surviving their wounds instead of being killed.
- Heroic: Kingdom starts with an additional leader who is a Marshal, its leaders always advance in rank in Unusual Encounters when they don’t issue the most cautious tactic (TAC 1), and advance at a +10 point chance in all battles until reaching Marshal rank, then as normal (no bonus) for advancement. Odds of an agent performing a successful rescue or kidnap is increased 15 points and the chance of capture during a mission is reduced by 15 points.
- Magic Resist Death: Kingdom is 33% resistant to magical death effects. This consists of the kill leader/wizard spell, death spell, and the summon imp/demon/high demon spells. If successful, no damage will be taken.
- Military Tradition: Adds a Marshal to the 1st group and a General to the 2nd group, leaders promote at +10 points, new leaders emerge at +10 points, and have 10 points better survivability in combat. Brigades advance in training level at 10 points greater than normal. Warriors, the soldier portion of a party’s strength rating, are worth +3 in Unusual Encounters.
- Riders: Patrols get 32 movement points. Cavalry values for these kingdoms are higher. +1 to emissary and agent ranges. Groups with brigades get +2 movement points, so 22 for normal movement and 27 for forced march. Intercept range is +1 (max 5 intercept range). Riders have access to the Flank tactic, but kingdoms with the Riders trait cannot be flanked in battle.
- Stalwart: Immune to Fear and Chaos. 25% reduction to harmful magic (4,000 magic damage would become 3,000). +15 points leader promotion and emergence, -15 points leader and wizard death (improved survivability to combat damage and kill leader / kill wizard).
- Trackers: Provides an intrinsic (no order required) level 4 agent recon of each active group area. Detects groups in ambush but not invisible groups. Can locate hidden sites if ending movement on them.
Special Rules For The Iron Province of the Rangers Kingdom:
- Terrain Adeptness: Advantaged in all terrains
- Magical Prowess: Advantaged (Tier 3 of 7)
- Spells available earlier than prowess base: Charm Region, Destroy Undead, Diplomacy, Dire Wolf Familiar, Eagle Familiar, Enhance King’s Aura, Heal, Strengthen Walls, Ward, Ward Popcenter
- Flanking Tactic (use TAC 4). Group vs. group attack that requires the Riders Trait, a Marshal or better in the group (not stunned), and can only be done in Plains or Desert terrain. Cannot be used against a group with flying or a kingdom with the Riders Trait (reverts to Standard Battle Plan). Cannot be used against an enemy group with a Warlord who is healthy (not stunned). Charge phase combat value for the flanking force is at 175%. Enemy losses in retreat is x3. Changes enemy’s Organized Withdrawal to Stand And Defend. Own group retreat as Standard Battle Plan. If Flanking group retreats, its own losses in retreat are 2x.
- Fight To The Last Man (use TAC 7). Defensive group vs. group tactic. Requires Stalwart, no Green brigades, at least two Veteran Kingdom brigades, and a Marshal or higher (not stunned). This is a defensive only tactic (does not initiate combat). Provides an additional +15% to defense over normal defensive bonus, and retreat becomes 90% (which means our troops will continue fighting until nearly completely destroyed).
- Special Ability: Falconry (Order #974, Falconry Recon), reconnaissance of an area. Use once a turn. Range and detail of the recon depends on the falconry level. Level 0: no recon is possible. Level 1: falcon may be sent up to 10 areas from capital, recon detail is level 4 (detect masked groups). Level 2: falcon may fly up to 15 areas from capital, detail is level 7 (detect ambushing groups). Level 3: falcon may fly up to 20 areas from capital, detail is level 10 (detect invisible groups, hidden pop centers). Rangers may increase their falconry skill level through Order #520 Falconry Training at 10,000 gold. May train once per turn.
- Special Order: Equip Advanced Item (Vorpal Blades) (Order #607, 500 mithril), vorpal blades are an advanced weapon group attachment similar to forged improved weapons and cannot be traded. The vorpal blades provide an extra 20% leader/wizard death effect during group combat. Equip vorpal blades to group at kingdom-owned pc with forge. Group must have one or more brigades in group. Group must already be equipped with improved weapons or mithril weapons from forge (Order #605). Only able to equip improved weapons, mithril weapons, or advanced weapons to a group once on the same turn.
Your first group begins as your most powerful and important group. In addition, should you earn your Early Strategic Objective or qualify for an Appeal to the Gods (Epic Game only) there are possible awards that only go into your first group (see General Rules).
Early Strategic Objectives:
Enter your selections for the Early Strategic Objectives with your orders on turns 1 through 3. Use Order #991 and reference the instructions in the Official Rulebook. If you do not select any objectives, your kingdom will receive the default objectives listed below:
|Control a region||worth 2 points|
|Have 3+ Dukes (not Demon Princes/Consuls/King/Queen/Regent)||worth 1 point|
We are pursuing a MINOR ESO!
On turns 10 through 15, if our kingdom has achieved the above requirements to total 3 achievement points, we may claim awards worth 3 points!
This campaign has NORMAL victory conditions.
Therefore a kingdom may win via Rex (control 5+ regions) or by Lion’s Share (most status points at end of the game).
Skeletons In The Closet:
The following skeletons, if revealed, will have detrimental impact on your influence and on regional reaction in some regions.
|MAJOR||9551||The King Is A Heretic.|
|MINOR||3976||The Queen Is A Heretic.|
|MINOR||9933||The Ranking Political Emissary Is Of Mixed Blood Of A Despised People.|
Proficiency: Advantage (Tier 3 of 7)
Maximum assured Power level attainable: 7
(Spellcasters may attempt to research beyond the assured level, but may fail about 50% of the time, and the gold cost is still consumed)
Gold cost per research level: 9,000
(Plateau levels have additional cost. At 3rd level, +10,000 gold. At 5th level, +30,000 gold. At 7th level, +60,000 gold. For example, to increase a pwr-2 wizard to pwr-3, the cost is the gold-cost-per-research-level x level + plateau cost, or 37,000 gold. To reach 5th level, the cost is 75,000 gold. To reach 7th level, the cost is 123,000 gold.)
Level 0: Rite Of The Magi, Self Invisible, Wizard Assist Encounter
Level 1: Create Food, Diplomacy, Light Of The Evening Star, Lightning Attack, Magic Research, Protect Heroes and Wizards, Raven Familiar, Shield, Stun Leader, Valor, Ward
Level 2: Bridge Of Mist, Create Gold, Dire Wolf Familiar, Eagle Familiar, Firestrike, Guarded Attack, Heal, Lesser Masking, Light Of The Evening Star (Intrinsic), Reveal King’s Influence, Sleep, Speed, Strengthen Walls
Level 3: Bridge Of Mist (Intrinsic), Conceal Emissary, Dispel Dome of Invulnerability, Dispel Magic, Dispel Storm at Sea, Fertile Fields, Hidden Ore, Invisible Patrol, Mirror Image, Presence (Intrinsic), Ship of Mist, Teleport Self, Ward Population Center, Wind Storm
Level 4: Chaos, Command Tornado, Destroy Undead, Dire Wolf Familiar (Intrinsic), Dispel Regional Effect, Flash Flood, Greater Masking, Instant Self Teleport, Instant Summon Phantasmal Forces, Invisible Brigade, Kill Leader/Wizard, Protection from Regional Effect, Raise Population Center Census, Storm at Sea, Teleport Patrol, True Seeing, Wall of Flame
Level 5: Create Magical Item, Earthquake, Invisible Division, Summon Minotaurs, Teleport Brigade
Level 6: Bounty (Regional Effect), Charm Region, Conjure Prestige, Enhance King’s Aura, Ice Torrent, Invisible Army, Project Image Of Group, Raise Regional Census (Regional Effect), Revelation, Summon Rock Golems, Teleport Division, True Seeing (Intrinsic), Unveil Group Locations, Unveil Population Centers
Level 7: Augment Title, Chain Lightning, Conjure Scandal, Dome of Invulnerability, Infuriate Populace, Meteor Strike, Teleport Army
Level 8: Power Word Stun, Prismatic Rays, Simulacrum, Summon Death, Teleport Army Group
Level 9: Crack The Sky, Incendiary Cloud
The Iron Province of the Rangers Military Dossier
Kingdom Brigade Description:
Among the best of all kingdom brigade types, The Rangers have excellent movement, expert archers, elite cavalry, and guards infantry to accompany more standard troops in each type of arms. Armor is good, and with our traits, we should see high ranking leaders and elite brigades after several combats.
Kingdom Brigade Ratings:
|LR Missile||SR Missile||Charge||1st Melee||2nd Melee||Combined||Storm (PC)||Defense|
|Excellent||Above Average||Good||Above Average||Above Average||Above Average||Above Average||Good|
Recruit Troops (Order #560), Recruit Companions (Order #565), or magically summoned brigades fight at their respective values for all kingdoms. They move according to the kingdom’s movement table. They consume food and gold at their respective rates. Groups at sea fight according to the fleet quantity and quality in the given sea.
Special Note: Flyers may be available for your kingdom through the Recruit Companions (Order #565) or as a Wizard Summoning Spell. All flying groups, either as natural flyers like Dragons or groups enhanced with special brigades/artifacts that bestow flying capabilities, are considered flying at all times. When specifying the group’s movement, all terrain costs are calculated as normally in your movement order (including when flying over water areas). However, flying groups whether they are all-natural flyers (e.g., all brigades of Griffons) or non-natural flyers (ground-based troops that gain flying by acquiring an artifact or by recruiting Giant Eagles) are checked throughout the turn if their situation changes. Flying status may be lost if the group no longer meets certain criteria such as losing division-sized status required by certain artifacts due to transferring troops between groups, combining groups together, or gaining additional troops through battle as what may occur with special troops like Zombies that eat the dead and grow in number. Or Lycanthrope that spreads among the injured on the battlefield and the group acquires new Lycan brigades. Another possibility to consider is if the group will receive any troop reinforcements, which occurs at certain intervals throughout the game. So, even though a ground-based, non-natural flying group may start the turn as a flyer, its status may change throughout the course of the game. A flying group that flys over or lands upon a water area may be issued any movement order (e.g., 720 and not required a sea movement order like 710).
Natural flyers are: Black/Red Dragons, Great Bats, Phoenixes, Specters, and Wyverns, as well as the new troop types of Air Elementals, Beholders, Chimeras, Cockatrices, Fairy Folk, Gargoyles, Giant Eagles, Griffons, Manticores, Mephits, Pixies, Rocs, and Sprites. Giant Eagles and Rocs are the only natural flyers capable of bestowing flight to ground-based troops. Artifacts that are capable of bestowing flight to others are: Great Red Bats of the Lost Caves, Green Dragon Mates, and the Last Herd of Winged Stallions. If a group consists of only natural-flyers or ground-based troops that become capable of flying, the following flight bonuses apply: +20% attack bonus vs pop centers, immune to Earthquake, Flash Flood, and Wall of Flame spells, patrol-sized groups have 32 (rather than 20) movement points (only for patrols of the Black Dragon, Red Dragon, and Fairy Folk kingdoms), may fly over water without a naval fleet being involved (may finish movement upon a water area), automatically performs a reconnaissance of the group’s location as a level 1 agent, and the flying group may not be flanked in battle (a special attack maneuver that certain kingdoms may perform).
Kingdom and Recruitable Troop Types (Food/Gold Amount Is Cost To Recruit):
|Type||ID||Food||Gold||Max Per Group||Notes|
|Rangers||RA||N/A||N/A||Unlimited||Kingdom brigade, not recruitable but receive as reinforcements|
|Mythians||MY||6,000||8,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within Zanthia (6), The Sword Coast (8), Zamora (10), Mythgar (11), or The Untamed Lands (12) and requires General and 1 Veteran brigade|
|Northmen||NM||4,000||6,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within The Crown Islands (1), Darkover (2), The Diamond Coast (3), Triumvia (5), or Stormgate (13) and requires Captain|
|Nyvarians||NY||4,000||6,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within The Diamond Coast (3), Nyvaria (7), Pellinor (9), The Untamed Lands (12), or Stormgate (13)|
|Paladins||PA||8,000||10,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within Darkover (2), Krynn (4), Triumvia (5), Nyvaria (7), or Pellinor (9) and requires General and 1 Veteran brigade [Only permitted for non-evil kingdoms]|
|Stormgate Guard||ST||10,000||10,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within Stormgate (13) and requires General|
|Vikings||VI||6,000||9,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within The Crown Islands (1), Darkover (2), or The Diamond Coast (3) and requires General and 1 Veteran brigade|
|Westmen||WE||4,000||6,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within Krynn (4), Triumvia (5), Zanthia (6), The Sword Coast (8), or Stormgate (13) and requires Captain|
|Zamorans||ZA||4,000||6,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within The Sword Coast (8), Pellinor (9), Zamora (10), Mythgar (11), The Untamed Lands (12), or Stormgate (13) and requires Captain|
|Companions (Order #565):|
|Mammoths||MA||10,000||12,000||3||Recruit in wild (no pop center) in Plains terrain and requires Marshal and 1 Elite brigade|
|Rohirrim||RO||4,000||8,000||5||Recruit in wild (no pop center) in Plains terrain and requires General and 1 Veteran brigade|
|Wood Elves||WO||4,000||8,000||5||Recruit in wild (no pop center) in Forest terrain and requires General and 1 Veteran brigade|
|Summoned (By Spell):|
|Minotaurs||MI||N/A||N/A||5||Summon in wild (no pop center) in Forest, Mountains terrain|
|Phantasmal Force||PM||N/A||N/A||5||Summon in wild (no pop center) in any terrain|
|Rock Golems||RG||N/A||N/A||5||Summon in wild (no pop center) in Mountains terrain|
Resource Consumption per Brigade (Each Turn):
|Companions (Order #565):|
|Summoned (By Spell):|
Reinforcement Schedule (Receive As Kingdom Brigades):
Terrain Combat Adjustment:
|Terrain Type||Movement Point Cost||Movement (Ice Age)||Ranger||Trait|
|Plains||4.0||5.00||+10%||Advantage plus Lesser Masking|
|Forest||6.0||7.50||+10%||Advantage plus Lesser Masking|
|Mountains||7.0||8.75||+10%||Advantage plus Lesser Masking|
|Desert||6.0||7.50||+10%||Advantage plus Lesser Masking|
|Marsh||6.0||7.50||+10%||Advantage plus Lesser Masking|
|Sea||4.0||5.00||+10%||Advantage plus Lesser Masking|
Your intercept radius is 4 areas (for Order #732).