Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mad Hatter
Hi. George M. Callahan (GMC) here, I started playing Alamaze back in the 80's when I was in the USAF stationed in the UK. I was visiting a buddy of mine at another base; when I got there he was writing up his orders. He explained the game to me and I thought I'd give it a try.

I was big into D&D at the time so the fantasy theme was right up my alley. In the D&D world, I was always fascinated by Darkelf and would have liked to have played them as a character, but in those days, that was forbidden. So, Alamaze gave me the opportunity to do it, although in a different format. I must have played the DA 4-5 times in a row, before I played anything else. Anyway, whether under the RSI or Pegasus Prod banner, I remember getting that big map, with your setup, in the mail was the coolest feeling; only being able to play once a month sucked, due to mailing it thru the APO military address system....but it was something to look forward to every month.

Back during those 20 yrs of my life, I moved every 3-4 yrs so staying active in the game wasn't really possible and eventually I fell away.

In the beginning, my youngest son liked watching me play and he'd ask a million questions and give his 'suggestions' on moves. I mention this because it was him that got be back here a couple of years ago. He called me one day and said he googled Alamaze and found this forum. We got in our first 2nd cycle game together, that he won as the WI....I think I came in third as the GN. He's been off and on with the game and I've been trying to stick it out as I'm still trying to get use to the nuances of 3rd Cycle.

My favorite kingdoms to play were the GN and the DW, they were tough, robust kingdoms in 2nd cycle. So far in 3rd cycle, I'm not so sure who I like yet as I haven't played them all.

I must put a plug into Phil here, may he Rest In Peace. When I was state-side I could always call if I had a problem with the game or didn't understand something that happened in my results. After awhile I'd just call to talk to him and get caught up on his life, and he mine. It was his friendly demeanor and warm soul that gives me such fond memories of the game and the team that supports it back then. Thanks Phil!!!

That's about it.

Thanks very much, George.  It was a hard decision for Polly, Phil's wife, whether to give Alamaze back to me or just leave it as his legacy as it was dear to him and he loved talking to his players.  My Dad was an USAF colonel, so we moved every 3 years except his 4 years in the Pentagon.  We have maybe a majority of players with military affiliation.  Dad had prostate cancer that turned to bone cancer, same for Phil.  My older brother Russ had prostate cancer, and I had my prostate removed the end of 2015.  Like they say, no one gets out of here alive.  So I got a family vacation together a couple months ago to Vancouver and Seattle, an area we hadn't been to.  Don't put things off.

We're happy to have you back.  Yes, explore the other kingdoms.  And when Maelstrom comes out, you might be surprised how much the map on its own changes things.