Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Game Based on The Expanse
(02-10-2020, 08:01 PM)Senior Tactician Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 06:09 PM)The Painted Man Wrote:
(02-09-2020, 06:40 PM)Wookie Panz Wrote:
(02-09-2020, 03:48 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: For now, I just wondered if Alamaze players would be interested. 

This game would have to be less text based.

I watched the first episode of the Expanse with the wife yesterday.  We liked it enough to continue and we usually do an episode a day when we find something we like.  There are 4 seasons and a total of 46 episodes so that's enough to last close to 2 months.

Or roughly 5 days if you really focused.

Pffft… you must have a job or something.

Technically "self employed".

(02-10-2020, 09:42 PM)The Painted Man Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 08:01 PM)Senior Tactician Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 06:09 PM)The Painted Man Wrote:
(02-09-2020, 06:40 PM)Wookie Panz Wrote:
(02-09-2020, 03:48 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: For now, I just wondered if Alamaze players would be interested. 

This game would have to be less text based.

I watched the first episode of the Expanse with the wife yesterday.  We liked it enough to continue and we usually do an episode a day when we find something we like.  There are 4 seasons and a total of 46 episodes so that's enough to last close to 2 months.

Or roughly 5 days if you really focused.

Pffft… you must have a job or something.

Technically "self employed".
Ah, I think you were into the fun stuff, like federal and state taxation, if I recall.  You're not going to disappear around now again for three months, are you?

I promise, the next thing is seeing if Mike wants to move Maelstrom forward.  It's substantial enough it might be 5th Cycle. 

Then I think (while we're young) doing The Expanse game.   I just think it kind of works for my style.  It has to have more visual aspects than Alamaze, if still not considered a computer game.

Hey, I would like to see Maelstrom enhanced into 5th Cycle or even a brand new sci-fi game but time is the issue for me. I spent a fair amount of time back in Nov-Dec enhancing Alamaze for SSL but I can't implement this year due to lack of time. In any case, if I end up being the hold up on anything then is there another programmer available? I can help by providing background info and code source files...

(02-11-2020, 01:53 AM)unclemike Wrote: Hey, I would like to see Maelstrom enhanced into 5th Cycle or even a brand new sci-fi game but time is the issue for me. I spent a fair amount of time back in Nov-Dec enhancing Alamaze for SSL but I can't implement this year due to lack of time. In any case, if I end up being the hold up on anything then is there another programmer available? I can help by providing background info and code source files...

Rut row.

So, not to imply anything is at all nearby, what about this idea, for the Expanse game:

“We each agree to give up 3 influence to enforce this 12 month alliance.”   Well, it may seem abstract but essentially you are delegating authority and dictator like abilities when you have made a commitment to an ally.  And so these would become serious decisions, with fairly significant consequence.   From my experience, this kind of consequence with other means of the code determining collective action against one opponent, would make a better game.   In real life, of course, countries would like 3 on 1.  In a game, players don't look on it fondly.

What I am trying to do design wise, is mitigate the abilities of the "power gamer" (the every turn, every player diplomat) with the Hans Solo player.  So agreements would be in-game, and that would be the means of diplomacy.  Everything quid pro quo.  (Ooh - scary!) 

Consider the Privateers of the 18th century Atlantic and Caribbean: unofficial agents of various governments under no flag, but rewarded.  So this would be a player position or two.  Running a world would have more problems than running a pirate collective, but survivability is better.

It might be a consideration to consider major and minor positions.  So, if you are the Earther, you have a lot more going on than an outlaw faction, and you have lots more orders and influence and game fee, but as a minor, you have a lighter touch to a developing epic, sort of more free-wheeling, more casual.  Of course, you would have to have the potential to run Millennium Falcon type missions, you just wouldn't actually win the game from a minor role, other than by a major role offering you a Viceroy ship, thereby splitting his points with you when he wins.

As far as I know, these are unique game concepts, so, no stealing them for your friends at Wizards of the Coast.