Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Growing Alamaze: Company versus Fan Base
Maybe I need to create not just a forum thread about growth, but an entire forum section. For now, though, let me raise the issue of Company versus Fan Base, as it relates to growth.

Currently, from what I have been able to glean and discern, thus far, one question that I feel is worth posing aloud is:

Which one does a better job of growing Alamaze's player community?

If your answer was the company (or its limited staff, basically Rick (the owner) and Mike (the programmer), I would say that is the wrong answer.

On the other hand, if your response was that the Fan Base does a better job of growing Alamaze's player community, I would tell you that was the wrong answer, also.

So then, who does the better job of growing Alamze's player community?

None of the above. And that's just it - no one is growing the player base. Not discernibly, anyway. You have a handful of players who log in to play the game, and you have a programmer who has a full platter, already, and you have an owner who has taken a step back. Unsurprisingly, this does not strike me as a glowing recipe for success.

Or said another way, there is a marked and obvious lack of ENERGY being allocated to the issue of player growth. This in spite of the fact that the owner, the programmer, and the current player community all have a vested interest in the player community growing, and if at all possible, growing by leaps and bounds. And people wonder why the player community for Alamaze isn't growing. As I sometimes say, it's not rocket science, people.

So, what's the plan to fix this? What's the plan to change the current status quo to a better one? And what is the time frame for accomplishing such?

No one doing anything of consequence will NEVER fix it. Certainly, there are far better opportunities available than doing nothing.

In Issue #25 of PBM Unearthed, Wookie Panz has an article about Alamaze. In Issue #18 of PBM Unearthed, VballMichael had an article about Alamaze. What's anyone else done, lately, to promote and advocate in favor of the game, and in trying to grow the size of the Alamaze player community?

Back when I used to play Starcraft and Warcraft 3 a lot, it was invariably the player-created maps that were the most fun, and which kept on bringing me back, over and over and over, again. The fan base of Alamaze is a resource that shouldn't be overlooked, but it is also a resource that should be capable of self-motivation. For better or worse, though, the fan base will be a reflection of the company. If the company isn't excited about Alamaze (even if it used to be, once upon a time ago), then why would anyone else be excited about it?

Currently, the player base seems to wonder if Alamaze is even gonna be around. if not, then why should they bother, if the company doesn't bother.

Feel free to tell me that I'm wrong - but if you do, at least be willing to tell me WHY I'm wrong about this.

I could try to summon some of the former Alamaze players back to the game, but absent any changes, I question whether there's much of a point.

Personality conflicts, there's not a lot that I can do to make someone like someone else on a personal level. That aside, I do believe that Alamaze can be turned around, and set on a better path.