Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shortnames of Characters
QUESTION: Where shortnames are concerned, is it always the case for characters that their shortname is the first two letters of their name?

The 4th Cycle rulebook mentions shortnames in several different places, but I didn't see where the rulebook actually explained what shortnames are. This is an example of how those with great familiarity with a game, such as the owner or the creator or the programmer(s) carry their extensive familiarity over with them, when they then try to create documentation for the whatever game is in question. You know the finer points, details, and nuances of the game like the back of your hand, but then what happens, many times, is that the "obvious" is overlooked. It's inadvertent and unintentional, but it happens more than you might think.

High Priestesses divining artifact names (for artifact shortname), then the artifact’s location on the map.
SOURCE Page #109

#790 – Divine Artifact Name
Often the first step in locating an artifact is to discover its legacy which in game terms will be the artifact’s shortname code. By using this order, the High Priestess will discover the shortname for a single artifact. The player may designate the class of artifact the High Priestess would like to learn about. Choose one of the following, if desired: King, Weapon, Wizard, Covert, or Benevolent. The player may narrow the divination further to within a specific region if desired, and also, that the artifact be still in the wild or in the possession of a different kingdom. It is possible nothing will be divined if the restrictions dictate no artifact qualifying to the specs exist.
SOURCE: Page #229

#791 – Divine Artifact Name (Artifact only)
The Altar of the Holy Ancients can divine the name or location of an artifact in the realm. Use Order #791 to divine the shortname of an artifact (similar to the priestess Order #790) or Order #794 to divine the location of an artifact (similar to the priestess Order #795). Each use costs 7,000 gold and is only useable once per turn.

#794 – Divine Artifact Location (Artifact only)
The Altar of the Holy Ancients can divine the name or location of an artifact in the realm. Use Order #791 to divine the shortname of an artifact (similar to the priestess Order #790) or Order #794 to divine the location of an artifact (similar to the priestess Order #795). Each use costs 7,000 gold and is only useable once per turn.
SOURCE: Page #230

#960 – Steal Artifact
If the shortname of an artifact is known, as well as its present location, it is possible an agent can steal the artifact and bring it back to his base of operations. This is a very risky assignment. The location of the artifact must, of course, be within the agent's range. There are various artifacts that are impossible to steal from lairs (wild): generally, Quest artifacts that require a Key. A level 4 agent attempting to steal an artifact will have about a 10% chance when the artifact is in the possession of another kingdom.
SOURCE Page #232

SOURCE: Page #271

The Oracle of the Old Gods can divine the name or location of an artifact in the realm. Use Order #791 to divine the shortname of an artifact (similar to the priestess Order #790) or Order #794 to divine the location of an artifact (similar to the priestess Order #795). Each use costs 7,000 gold and is only useable once per turn.
SOURCE: Page #278

It may well be that characters don't have shortnames, or perhaps they use a different method which goes by a different name. Characters are also known as Figures.

#510 – Hire New Figure (Tavern
The player has the option to name the new figure for the kingdom. The new name has to be unique. No other emissary in the kingdom should have been given the name with the same first two letters (including dead or captured emissaries).
SOURCE: Page #215

I don't have an issue with characters also being referred to as figures. My focus is upon the two-letter code associated with characters. Is that two-letter code for characters also known as their shortname? It not, what is it known as, then? If the two-letter code for characters is also properly referred to as their shortname, then the 4th Cycle rulebook needs to reflect that.

The new, the unfamiliar, the uninitiated, and the inexperienced do not think the same was as the very experienced and very familiar think. What is frequently assumed to be obvious is not always obvious, in actuality. Familiarity is a great thing to possess, but familiarity also makes men blind. It is its own form of blindness, at times.

A couple of days ago, I was on the phone talking to someone, when I began looking for my phone. At times, people wearing hats have trouble finding the hat that theya re wearing. The moral of this story is that what may be obvious to you, may not be obvious to myself or to others. Refinement is an ongoing process.

(08-13-2023, 04:31 PM)Maximus Dominus Wrote: QUESTION: Where shortnames are concerned, is it always the case for characters that their shortname is the first two letters of their name?

The 4th Cycle rulebook mentions shortnames in several different places, but I didn't see where the rulebook actually explained what shortnames are. This is an example of how those with great familiarity with a game, such as the owner or the creator or the programmer(s) carry their extensive familiarity over with them, when they then try to create documentation for the whatever game is in question. You know the finer points, details, and nuances of the game like the back of your hand, but then what happens, many times, is that the "obvious" is overlooked. It's inadvertent and unintentional, but it happens more than you might think.

High Priestesses divining artifact names (for artifact shortname), then the artifact’s location on the map.
SOURCE Page #109

#790 – Divine Artifact Name
Often the first step in locating an artifact is to discover its legacy which in game terms will be the artifact’s shortname code. By using this order, the High Priestess will discover the shortname for a single artifact. The player may designate the class of artifact the High Priestess would like to learn about. Choose one of the following, if desired: King, Weapon, Wizard, Covert, or Benevolent. The player may narrow the divination further to within a specific region if desired, and also, that the artifact be still in the wild or in the possession of a different kingdom. It is possible nothing will be divined if the restrictions dictate no artifact qualifying to the specs exist.

#791 – Divine Artifact Name (Artifact only)

#794 – Divine Artifact Location (Artifact only)
SOURCE: Page #230

#960 – Steal Artifact
If the shortname of an artifact is known, as well as its present location, it is possible an agent can steal the artifact and bring it back to his base of operations. This is a very risky assignment. The location of the artifact must, of course, be within the agent's range. There are various artifacts that are impossible to steal from lairs (wild): generally, Quest artifacts that require a Key. A level 4 agent attempting to steal an artifact will have about a 10% chance when the artifact is in the possession of another kingdom.
SOURCE Page #232

SOURCE: Page #271

The Oracle of the Old Gods can divine the name or location of an artifact in the realm. Use Order #791 to divine the shortname of an artifact (similar to the priestess Order #790) or Order #794 to divine the location of an artifact (similar to the priestess Order #795). Each use costs 7,000 gold and is only useable once per turn.
SOURCE: Page #278

It may well be that characters don't have shortnames, or perhaps they use a different method which goes by a different name. Characters are also known as Figures.

#510 – Hire New Figure (Tavern
The player has the option to name the new figure for the kingdom. The new name has to be unique. No other emissary in the kingdom should have been given the name with the same first two letters (including dead or captured emissaries).
SOURCE: Page #215

I don't have an issue with characters also being referred to as figures. My focus is upon the two-letter code associated with characters. Is that two-letter code for characters also known as their shortname? It not, what is it known as, then? If the two-letter code for characters is also properly referred to as their shortname, then the 4th Cycle rulebook needs to reflect that.

The new, the unfamiliar, the uninitiated, and the inexperienced do not think the same was as the very experienced and very familiar think. What is frequently assumed to be obvious is not always obvious, in actuality. Familiarity is a great thing to possess, but familiarity also makes men blind. It is its own form of blindness, at times.

A couple of days ago, I was on the phone talking to someone, when I began looking for my phone. At times, people wearing hats have trouble finding the hat that theya re wearing. The moral of this story is that what may be obvious to you, may not be obvious to myself or to others. Refinement is an ongoing process.

The short name for an artifact is a unique number, 5 digits if my recall is working.  For a character the program only uses the first two letters of a name

(08-13-2023, 04:43 PM)Wookie Panz Wrote: The short name for an artifact is a unique number, 5 digits if my recall is working.  For a character the program only uses the first two letters of a name

Yes, but is that considered the shortname for characters? Or does shortname only apply for artifacts?

(08-13-2023, 05:15 PM)Maximus Dominus Wrote:
(08-13-2023, 04:43 PM)Wookie Panz Wrote: The short name for an artifact is a unique number, 5 digits if my recall is working.  For a character the program only uses the first two letters of a name

Yes, but is that considered the shortname for characters? Or does shortname only apply for artifacts?

The two letters abbreviation is the short name for characters.  So if you order an agent to kill someone you need his kingdom, location, and first two letters of his name.

(08-13-2023, 06:41 PM)Wookie Panz Wrote: So if you order an agent to kill someone you need his kingdom, location, and first two letters of his name.

I understand that.

(08-13-2023, 06:41 PM)Wookie Panz Wrote: The two letters abbreviation is the short name for characters. 

Then the rulebook needs to be revised to incorporate a plain statement to that effect.