Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game of Thrones
I imagine you could make a great PBM game out of GOT, but I'm sure the licensing fees would make it not worth it.

A lot of stuff has be licensed already and I'm sure GRRM is a fan of games. It's probably doable on some level.

GRRM does describe stuff in great detail but sometimes it hinders his work. In the last book I found a few parts to be repetitive to the point where he repeats something, exactly the same, a few paragraphs later.

Those 1st 3 books are masterworks IMO but the subsequent 2 aren't in the same league although they're good.

GRRM did a lot of signings in my area, Glendale/Pasadena CA, for many years before HBO happened and I regret not going to any.

---- X Files is a good one too but its concept is swiped from Twilight Zone/Kolchak

I think what happened is he had those 1st 3 books in his head for many years. Put them down on paper and they're great.
Then like a rock band everyone wanted more ASAP and the next two books...

Kinda like 'Appetite for Destruction' and then 'Use your Illusion 1-2'.
1 Masterwork and then pretty good stuff. If Use Your Illusion was edited down into another "super album" maybe it's as good as Appetite but other factors get in the way...

(04-03-2013, 08:32 PM)Kalrex Wrote: I imagine you could make a great PBM game out of GOT, but I'm sure the licensing fees would make it not worth it.

A lot of stuff has be licensed already and I'm sure GRRM is a fan of games. It's probably doable on some level.

GRRM does describe stuff in great detail but sometimes it hinders his work. In the last book I found a few parts to be repetitive to the point where he repeats something, exactly the same, a few paragraphs later.

Those 1st 3 books are masterworks IMO but the subsequent 2 aren't in the same league although they're good.

GRRM did a lot of signings in my area, Glendale/Pasadena CA, for many years before HBO happened and I regret not going to any.

---- X Files is a good one too but its concept is swiped from Twilight Zone/Kolchak

I think what happened is he had those 1st 3 books in his head for many years. Put them down on paper and they're great.
Then like a rock band everyone wanted more ASAP and the next two books...

Kinda like 'Appetite for Destruction' and then 'Use your Illusion 1-2'.
1 Masterwork and then pretty good stuff. If Use Your Illusion was edited down into another "super album" maybe it's as good as Appetite but other factors get in the way...

A lot to chew on there. I would agree that the 4th book, A Feast for Crows, is universally regarded as the weakest. Some people I've spoken with couldn't get through that and so didn't read A Dance with Dragons.

I also agree with the repetition, not so much in direct repeating, but he gets in his moods where he is commenting a lot on food, or on ravens, or wolves at some point, and then a book can go by without him mentioning one of them again.

I do have a design for Cyvasse I have spoken to Genome (Fall of Rome) about, but he hasn't picked up the gauntlet. I have a few domains around Cyvasse reserved.

I wasn't that into GNR (not for any particular reason except maybe exiting my metal phase about then, but then that doesn't explain Metallica living on with me) but would put Appetite in the Top 10 hard rock albums. I watched their induction into the R&R HoF, and Slash and company didn't even invite Axl Rose to the show. Major blowup.

(04-03-2013, 09:07 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: I wasn't that into GNR (not for any particular reason except maybe exiting my metal phase about then, but then that doesn't explain Metallica living on with me) but would put Appetite in the Top 10 hard rock albums. I watched their induction into the R&R HoF, and Slash and company didn't even invite Axl Rose to the show. Major blowup.
Axel Rose got beat up by Tommy Hilfiger once. The moment a fashion designer beats you up, you lose all rock credibility. Plus, his version of Live and Let Die doesn't touch Paul McCartney's. And I have no respect for someone who would record one of Charles Manson's songs.
Rant over!

(04-03-2013, 10:55 PM)DuPont Wrote: [quote='Ry Vor' pid='9513' dateline='1365023263']
I wasn't that into GNR (not for any particular reason except maybe exiting my metal phase about then, but then that doesn't explain Metallica living on with me) but would put Appetite in the Top 10 hard rock albums. I watched their induction into the R&R HoF, and Slash and company didn't even invite Axl Rose to the show. Major blowup.

I agree that books 1 through 3 were the best. Book 4 was pretty mediocre but I did like book 5 a lot. Overall I really enjoyed the series and think Martin is a great writer.

I also agree with your brother Russ. I don't think that Martin will ever finish the series. I wonder if he will at least flesh out a plot line that could be turned into an ending if he were to pass away. I think HBO has done a superb job bringing the books to life.

Did anyone else notice that when we (Alamaze) announced we would take a week off (May 23), next thing out of the news was that HBO said Game of Thrones would take a week off (May 26)? I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

(06-03-2013, 12:20 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: Did anyone else notice that when we (Alamaze) announced we would take a week off (May 23), next thing out of the news was that HBO said Game of Thrones would take a week off (May 26)? I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.
I got into those books when they very first came out. So, CSB (Cool Story Bro) time:

Just after I read the first book, my (then) wife read it. She was a High School English Teacher, and gave it to a couple of her advanced seniors to read. One of them really loved it, and I noticed that Martin had just begun to sell some of the "House" shirts on his website. The wife wanted one, and wanted one for a graduation present for the student. I ordered 3 (me, the wife, and the graduate) with a note as to why they were for (This was back when his wife was running the website). We not only got our shirts in 2 days, but GRRM had autographed all of them. It was pretty neat.

Anyhow, books 1-3 were awesome, but I think Martin lost his way in 4 and 5. They try to cram 300 pages of story into 800 pages of book, and it seems like the story ir running over him and he has no clear plan anymore. Or maybe he just needs a better editor. Anyhow, I'll read book 6 when and if, but I have to admit 4 and 5 were a bit of drudgery to read.

I have not read the books. But, I am watching the series on HBO.

Shocking ending last night. Why do the good guys always lose from the North? Most disconcerting. But, great series. I hope they keep funding it going forward. Beyond Rome, it's got to be one of the best series I have seen on HBO for the longest time running.

V.

(06-04-2013, 12:34 AM)Valtteri Wrote: I have not read the books. But, I am watching the series on HBO.

Shocking ending last night. Why do the good guys always lose from the North? Most disconcerting. But, great series. I hope they keep funding it going forward. Beyond Rome, it's got to be one of the best series I have seen on HBO for the longest time running.

V.

This is the most expensive to produce TV Series of all time. Notice this series is filmed on three real-world continents and places like Morracco, Iceland, New Zealand.

Ratings are sky high, the budget was doubled for this season three.

Yes, episode 9 (The Rains of Castamere) of Season 3 was a shocker like about episode 9 in Season 1 with Eddard Stark.

I hear you - George Martin has it in for the Starks.

(06-04-2013, 04:05 AM)Ry Vor Wrote:
(06-04-2013, 12:34 AM)Valtteri Wrote: I have not read the books. But, I am watching the series on HBO.

V.

This is the most expensive to produce TV Series of all time. Notice this series is filmed on three real-world continents and places like Morracco, Iceland, New Zealand.

Ratings are sky high, the budget was doubled for this season three.

Yes, episode 9 (The Rains of Castamere) of Season 3 was a shocker like about episode 9 in Season 1 with Eddard Stark.

I hear you - George Martin has it in for the Starks.

GRRM has it in for just about EVERYONE. The Starks just get it first, and mostly on-screen. But every House suffers. GRRM may well be a sadist Dodgy

I'm lukewarm on the book series. Too much postmodernist sensibility for me to stomach, though I acknowledge that it is well done. The historical analogies seem to me to be somewhat strained. The darkness and character killing seems borderline sadistic, almost as though the series were written to appeal specifically to the clinically depressed. The HBO series is as faithful ad adaption as one can hope for, with the inevitable gratuitous HBO-isms.