Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAP Agreements
(06-27-2013, 06:06 PM)Hawk_ Wrote: I think this variant would be really fun and less time consuming because the communication and diplomacy take so much time in the game.

However, I think avid players would slowly figure out who is who by word of mouth and communication would start up.

Also it would make winter very hard on some kingdoms w/o anyone to trade with for food.

No one would be able to figure out who's playing which position. No one would know who the other players are: no forum posting (either under active games or the initial signup), no player/persona listed on turn 0, no way of knowing or notifying anyone is the whole point of this variation.

It truly would be a private game with a real-life, fog-of-war condition where everyone is on their own. Trading food or gold is only possible with order 200 so no help from friends. If you screw up and over-recruit then I guess you're taking the morale-attrition hit for not properly figuring out the math.

The game could end up being a good learning experience for the players and this format would be a true test of one's skills since everyone is for themselves without any help from others.

Let's give it a try for the next single player game Smile

(06-27-2013, 06:06 PM)Hawk_ Wrote:
(06-27-2013, 02:20 AM)unclemike Wrote: Was there ever an Alamaze game that was in "private" mode where no one knew who the other players were?

All messages through the game would be prevented so no one could pass along their contact information to each other. Players can only sign up for a new game by submitting a request to the signup email address and Rick would be the only one that updated the forum on which positions were still open.

It may make for an interesting game format without any possibility of NAPs or marriages getting in the way.

Also this format would prevent any unfair teaming which some have complained that they are ganged up on early in the game.

Running a private mode game would solve all these issues and may make for an interesting experience. It's kinda similar to adding a real fog-of-war element to the game where everyone is on their own without any alliances to see if they can survive.

I would sign up for this kinda game just for the variety of gameplay Smile

I think this variant would be really fun and less time consuming because the communication and diplomacy take so much time in the game.

However, I think avid players would slowly figure out who is who by word of mouth and communication would start up.

Also it would make winter very hard on some kingdoms w/o anyone to trade with for food.

you could still have the official in game message sending (orders 341-349) via emissary so trades could be made, but they would be more cumbersome.

(06-27-2013, 08:28 PM)unclemike Wrote: No one would be able to figure out who's playing which position. No one would know who the other players are: no forum posting (either under active games or the initial signup), no player/persona listed on turn 0, no way of knowing or notifying anyone is the whole point of this variation.

It truly would be a private game with a real-life, fog-of-war condition where everyone is on their own. Trading food or gold is only possible with order 200 so no help from friends. If you screw up and over-recruit then I guess you're taking the morale-attrition hit for not properly figuring out the math.

The game could end up being a good learning experience for the players and this format would be a true test of one's skills since everyone is for themselves without any help from others.

It would be fun to try. I'd be game for it instead of 108 if we thought we were actually able to get it off the ground.

Quote:you could still have the official in game message sending (orders 341-349) via emissary so trades could be made, but they would be more cumbersome.

Actually, this private format would finally make orders 341-349 worthwhile to exist.

I kinda think of orders 341-349 in this format as being a ruler who sends a message to another kingdom via horse messenger. The communication is slower but also more realistic like it was back in the Middle Ages so we'll get a chance to know what it was like back then Smile

Quote:It would be fun to try. I'd be game for it instead of 108 if we thought we were actually able to get it off the ground.

Rick just needs to add a new thread under signup and then close the thread so no one can accidently add what position they want. Then he can update the post himself on which positions are still open. Who knows, it may actually end up being a fan favorite.

(06-27-2013, 09:09 PM)unclemike Wrote:
Quote:you could still have the official in game message sending (orders 341-349) via emissary so trades could be made, but they would be more cumbersome.

Actually, this private format would finally make orders 341-349 worthwhile to exist.

I kinda think of orders 341-349 in this format as being a ruler who sends a message to another kingdom via horse messenger. The communication is slower but also more realistic like it was back in the Middle Ages so we'll get a chance to know what it was like back then Smile

Quote:It would be fun to try. I'd be game for it instead of 108 if we thought we were actually able to get it off the ground.

Rick just needs to add a new thread under signup and then close the thread so no one can accidently add what position they want. Then he can update the post himself on which positions are still open. Who knows, it may actually end up being a fan favorite.

We have considered this before, and I agree it would be interesting to see how just 1v1 matchups (at least without pre-ordained alliances) in a 15 player game would go. Problem is there is no way to stop people emailing about who is in Game X.

(06-27-2013, 10:13 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: We have considered this before, and I agree it would be interesting to see how just 1v1 matchups (at least without pre-ordained alliances) in a 15 player game would go. Problem is there is no way to stop people emailing about who is in Game X.

There are total privacy games of Hyborian War that rely on the honor system, and it seems to work well.

Just stipulate that there should be no contact between anyone involved in the game, publicly or privately, including acknowledging if you are even in the game and leave it up to the players to police themselves.
Silent One

(06-27-2013, 08:28 PM)unclemike Wrote:
(06-27-2013, 06:06 PM)Hawk_ Wrote: I think this variant would be really fun and less time consuming because the communication and diplomacy take so much time in the game.

No one would be able to figure out who's playing which position. No one would know who the other players are: no forum posting (either under active games or the initial signup), no player/persona listed on turn 0, no way of knowing or notifying anyone is the whole point of this variation.

I am intrigued and interested...
Lord Thanatos

We did something similar to this in FoR some years ago. I think LD set it up. It was a tree theme of personas that were for one time use. Nobody knew who anybody else was. I don't recall if we were allowed to apply any diplomacy or not. But, the forums are alive with different tree personas having some fun in the game thread.

V

I know this has been talked about/tried before with Alamaze, the problem is that there aren't enough players/games to mask who is playing and the masked/gunboat portion breaks down rather quickly.

(06-28-2013, 01:27 PM)Cipher Wrote: I know this has been talked about/tried before with Alamaze, the problem is that there aren't enough players/games to mask who is playing and the masked/gunboat portion breaks down rather quickly.

We could still give it a try...

(06-28-2013, 02:36 PM)unclemike Wrote:
(06-28-2013, 01:27 PM)Cipher Wrote: I know this has been talked about/tried before with Alamaze, the problem is that there aren't enough players/games to mask who is playing and the masked/gunboat portion breaks down rather quickly.

We could still give it a try...

Look, let's have this be a possibility for Citizens that Sign a Writ a few games down the road.

Several players have open slots in your service level. Game #108 would start with just one or two. Or you can make 13 players wait in purgatory.