Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Use Is It To Know There's An Invisible Group?
So here's a question - you have a group outside your town and you get a report saying that you sense an invisible group. Ah! Thanks for the warning, eagle-eyed Warlord. Better get ready!
Um...how? You don't know WHO is out there and all defensive actions require that. If you have wizards and they are strong enough to teleport out, you can save them, but that's it. Or you can guess and issue a bunch of defensive orders - sometimes you can figure it out if you get a report from the population of the region that the 1RD Army is somewhere about. But most of the time you don't know and this is useless information.
I'm really not suggesting that more changes me made to the 2nd Cycle, but for the 3rd, I think this issue needs to be addressed. If for no other reason than it's just not logical. Here are my thoughts.
You should be able to 120 against no specific group, but without the 120% defensive bonus - if you leave out the group, you are just at the normal 100% group vs group value.
I think spell 94 (Protect Heroes and Wizards) should not require to name an opposing group. Or if you don't, then perhaps there's a penalty like it acts as if a wizard one power lower cast it.
Thoughts?

Well, considering there was an initial protest against even giving that very limited information, that's an interesting comment.

If a kingdom surprise attacks you, yes, the info may not help much. But the more usual case is in a war you have intel on your enemy and 'know" which group has wizards capable of invisibility, or can issue two defend orders for two (or more) possible groups. Previously, you might just be wiped out despite having a Warlord or high power wizard that now can detect a strange shimmering due to their experience and skill. Another advantage for the high level characters.

We have talked about adding an Entrench order, that gives limited defense against any group - less than 100%, but better than surprised, maybe in 3rd Cycle.

I like the no set defense maybe have it go up if your there multi turns like plus 5% per turn until you get to 125% as a your really dug in and ready for anything.

For the 94 if you list no group it should only work one time. If someone casts two kill spells your out of luck.

(06-11-2014, 03:19 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: Well, considering there was an initial protest against even giving that very limited information, that's an interesting comment.

If a kingdom surprise attacks you, yes, the info may not help much. But the more usual case is in a war you have intel on your enemy and 'know" which group has wizards capable of invisibility, or can issue two defend orders for two (or more) possible groups. Previously, you might just be wiped out despite having a Warlord or high power wizard that now can detect a strange shimmering due to their experience and skill. Another advantage for the high level characters.

We have talked about adding an Entrench order, that gives limited defense against any group - less than 100%, but better than surprised, maybe in 3rd Cycle.

Would you consider a HP order or a power 3-4 spell that might scan one square and tell you all groups that are in it invisible or otherwise.

Maybe the wizard killer artifact should reveal invisible groups in the same square.

Also a level 9 970 might reveal invisible group IDs.

(06-11-2014, 03:05 AM)DuPont Wrote: So here's a question - you have a group outside your town and you get a report saying that you sense an invisible group. Ah! Thanks for the warning, eagle-eyed Warlord. Better get ready!
Um...how? You don't know WHO is out there and all defensive actions require that. If you have wizards and they are strong enough to teleport out, you can save them, but that's it. Or you can guess and issue a bunch of defensive orders - sometimes you can figure it out if you get a report from the population of the region that the 1RD Army is somewhere about. But most of the time you don't know and this is useless information.
I'm really not suggesting that more changes me made to the 2nd Cycle, but for the 3rd, I think this issue needs to be addressed. If for no other reason than it's just not logical. Here are my thoughts.
You should be able to 120 against no specific group, but without the 120% defensive bonus - if you leave out the group, you are just at the normal 100% group vs group value.
I think spell 94 (Protect Heroes and Wizards) should not require to name an opposing group. Or if you don't, then perhaps there's a penalty like it acts as if a wizard one power lower cast it.
Thoughts?

I understand the lack of logic, but I think we should also consider just how much more we want to nerf the invisiblity spell. It is/was one of the main weapons of the wizard kingdoms, but has already had it's impact dramatically weakened with the p-5 and warlord "seeing" abilities, not to mention the removal of the invisible army spell.

To put it another way, the magic kingdoms NEED the ability to surprise attack another kingdom to stand a chance of succeeding. How else is a SO division going to have a snowball's chance in hell against a GI/RD/BL/TR group? Heck, even against a RA/DA group it would be ugly.

If we want to change it and give information about an invisible group--i.e. your p-5 or warlord senses the presence of an AN group--the wizard kingdoms are exempt...totally!! Makes sense their groups would be harder to detect given their mastery of magic. Could be one of their special powers.

Yes, I have in mind a True Seeing spell and artifact.