Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Player seeking...
Hello All!

Many years ago, I played Alamaze once (via snail mail, pre-email, to date myself) and really enjoyed it, before a move overseas ended my PBM career.
Recently, I ran across an issue of Suspense and Decision and thought I'd try and pick it up again. Other than understanding some general principles, I'm essentially a complete beginner. If there are other new players filtering into this site as well, I'd like to have a new game start up for us to play and learn. Ideally, perhaps a Magic game with new(er) players matched up with Vets willing to teach? Please let me know if there is any demand or willingness for something like this. I think a non-Exploratory game might be better for this, but then, what do I know? Smile
Also, in looking over this Form, it seems there's been a number of recent changes to things/orders/etc. Has the posted online Rulebook been updated with all these changes? Is there some particular place to go to get a complete and comprehensive rulebook yet?
Thanks in advance for any help with this.

BlueGolem and all new players,

Great to hear from you! Good for signing up on the forum, which is necessary. Also necessary is signing up for your account on the Alamaze website: alamaze.co. (not .com).

Let's go people - get your friends in. Don't forget you can also have a private game including Primeval.

I would love to play a primeval game where everyone was magical. SO WA WI and, um, hmmmm....
"Have you ever considered piracy? You'd make a wonderful Dread Pirate Roberts."

(07-13-2014, 12:18 AM)Panda Wrote: I would love to play a primeval game where everyone was magical. SO WA WI and, um, hmmmm....

Maybe add AN and DE.

That sounds fun. Is it reasonably balanced?
"Have you ever considered piracy? You'd make a wonderful Dread Pirate Roberts."

Mages with 2 regions of income is kind scary. The other two I would suspect can get there initial regions a bit easier but are Natural enemy and then have to deal with mages to expand. SO and WA are also NE leaving the WI with no NE but that is ok because he normally gets a region and has the highest cost to raise of the mages.

Would be interesting to see if the mages team vs the two political kingdoms.

Ummm... a game like that might be fun for some experienced players to fool around with, but I think us new guys would get less out of such a variant game. I was trying to ask if some kind of team (that's Magic, right?) game could be arranged with new(er) players matched with willing vets. In such a case, I'd be willing to trade off waiting a bit longer for it to start, to play the fuller game as opposed to the 5 player one. I think I'd learn more in a more complete setting.

In reading further, it seems the Rulebook hasn't been updated in a while, but that's maybe not so important, if the Commands and their codes have been. Could someone tell me if the ones posted in the forum are all correct and complete? Thanks in advance.

Seriously?
A week, 116 views, and NO one knows if the Rulebook and/or Command Codes are current?
How can a new player learn the game and get started without knowing that?

Meh. Never mind then.

Sorry we dropped the ball on this BlueGolem. As a relatively new player I can assure you that the forum is generally very good at answering questions and helping new players along. The commands and rules are virtually all up-to-date I believe. There may be some small changes that can be found in the thread here:http://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=8418&highlight=known+issues

You can rely on the rules and commands manuals.

I would be well up for a team game myself.

I started in a Primeval game which has 5 players, I found this to be a great way to learn the game. Primeval games only last about 15 turns so when you've learned a bit you have a free slot to start another game.
-This Khal Drogo, it's said he has a hundred thousand men in his horde

(07-14-2014, 04:36 PM)BlueGolem Wrote: Ummm... a game like that might be fun for some experienced players to fool around with, but I think us new guys would get less out of such a variant game. I was trying to ask if some kind of team (that's Magic, right?) game could be arranged with new(er) players matched with willing vets. In such a case, I'd be willing to trade off waiting a bit longer for it to start, to play the fuller game as opposed to the 5 player one. I think I'd learn more in a more complete setting.

In reading further, it seems the Rulebook hasn't been updated in a while, but that's maybe not so important, if the Commands and their codes have been. Could someone tell me if the ones posted in the forum are all correct and complete? Thanks in advance.

BlueGolem,

I am not involved with the day-to-day Alamaze stuff, but you can always send a private message to myself or Ry Vor, or just e-mail Alamaze support at: support@alamaze.co

Or, send me an e-mail at: GrimFinger@GrimFinger.Net

Yesterday, I installed some wiki software, to create an Alamaze Wiki. I think that you will find that it will lead to a better rulebook. Until it is done, though, if you feel that a forum posting is getting ignored, then post another one, or just bump the current one, and it will attract someone's attention.

You can also post on the PlayByMail.Net forum, and if I see an Alamaze question posted there, I will simply forward it to the powers that be here, to get you an answer.