Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 168 STEEL REX DIPLOMACY
Oh, yeah - always.  It's also why I pushed one of my Wizards to P8 and why I was carefully basing any plans to win on being in Spring or Autumn.  It's also why I protected my Agent 19 instead of using him more aggressively, though I now know I need not have done that.

I think UM fixed the winter summer production issue

WI -

Turns 0-5  I did the contact everyone and see who could be an ally and who might be an issue.  ESO goals were pretty easy, one region, big wizard, and 3 Dukes would be all I would need.  Maxed out scouting and worked on control of my region.  This part of the game I was in build but also survival mode.  Made a deal with the UN for a 10 turn NAP since he was my biggest fear.  I would be putting a lot of gold into my wizards and his assassins could make short work of them until I could get them to undead status.  Luckily he had plans to hit a few others before me.  

Turn 6- 12 - Finish ESO, begin Artifact hunting and see how the RA issues would play out.  I tried to shore up my left and right flanks with the Elf and Dwarf and both agreed to work together since the Ranger was the first real aggressor in the game. After some information sharing, our pacts to not bother one another would last till the end of the game, but communications would diminish.  Once the Ranger dropped the game, the game changed, for it seemed to me of instead of a war, a rush to grab lands began.  It always bums me out when a position that I thought was in a position of power exits.  

Turns 13- 30  I looked at the game differently now, I thought about winning the game from another point of view.  I studied the status points of some games and really thought about how do I catch the big players, solution, get the game to go till the end.  More points are awarded the more times the game goes in multiple of six's.  What if I am attacked, I thought a deterrence was a big army sitting at Viperhead.  I guessed this is where an enemy would hit me since half my population was at sea.  My problem began of soo many wizards,  they could all be worth a lot of points but also an issue since I had 9.  I needed one group to ferry summoned troops to my army showcase area.  I figured I had to shuttle troops to the city so potential enemies would not see my main wizards and artifacts.  The issue was when I went on Unusual encounters, I would not be maximizing my casters true potential.  Once I had a Lich, he could solo most encounters, add in weapon artifacts and encounters were too easy, but also ment I was wasting 2 other casters going on adventures I did not want them to. Most kingdoms will not have this caster problem, but some do.  This would lead me to an issue later on of not being able to get casters to flee when I knew an attack would come.  I can only imagine the SO and WA issues since they could get more then 9 casters,  I know this might sound minor, but maximizing your casters abilities between spells, leveling, and going on adventures becomes a bit tricky.  Talking with the Elf, we both had the same goal of Maximizing status points and winning on turn 40.  My new goals were as follows:

1) Get casters all to level 5, and then 7 and Lich.
      2)  Get my agent leveled to 10 and do some minor attacks to get to level 11 but not piss people off.
      3)  Get influence high and look to artifacts for points
      4)  Build an Army and production to levels to get status points.

Turn 31 -40  I realized I probably would not catch Cloud, the UN was an issue as was the AN.   Time to look for more points.  The SO landed at Viperhead, I would not be able to see which group landed there, but I knew he was there.  I could not move my casters with instant teleport since I had one of my groups just combine with another and I  did not think I could get away to an inactive group.   Cast 3 protect spells and picked the wrong group to not protect.  I do not know if there is any protection from Banshee, but I do know that spell kills Liches.  Talked for a bit with the SO and he moved off.  I could not beat the SO with my casters for I became so focused on assassins, I ignored maxing out my casters in favor of Liches.  I probably could not kill the SO in a duel, but he could defiantly kill my casters.  I needed time to get a few non casters to the top spells in case the SO or WA wandered in my area.  I would not let my casters sit still again.  With that issue done, back to getting points.  Took a city in Torvel that was left alone, figured no one would have an issue with me taking it since it was neutral with no one there.  The final plan came down, the Elf would do a final push and I would do the same on the last 2 turns.  I sent in my army of wights and politicians to the Easten stepps and came up just short  grabbing the region.  Viperhead got attacked by the Darkelves attacking my 2nd army I was working on for status points.  I do wonder if it was pure luck the DA landed there, of if someone slipped him note that I might not be home.   In the end, I got 3rd place, but my goal of beating Juimpingfist failed, so kind of bummed there.  Looking at his end points, he must of went on a capture frenzy.  

Conclusion: To most players, this would be a really boring game that I played, I looked at it from a different angle to try and beat the top players.  When you know  there are alliances out there that are rock solid and you are not 100% sure if you truly have allies, you play the game differently.  I was given a chance to be left alone, and I grabbed it and tried to get as many status points out of it as possible, and a few other titles.  I did learn a lot of things about game and really see the weaknesses in some empires getting a podium finish when 1st place is out of their reach.  I also noticed the number of agents the top 3 players had.  BTY I have no idea how I got an Elven agent, and I assume the UN nabbed one of my level 11's which did have an 11 guard on it but i think there is a flaw on guard if only one person is guarded.

Titles earned: Field Marshal of the Witchlord, Dynast of the Witchlord, Fleet Admiral of the Witchlord, and Council Member for the Witchlord

Ironwilled - Goes to WA Jumbie.  My reason was I thought he was alone in this game and had 2 empires against him.  The DA, BL, and GN all could be here as well, but I thought the WA was alone vs 2 empires, the rest were against one enemy or had an ally. 

Infamous-SO since he caught me napping I think killed the First Lich ever in Alamaze?

Chancellor - AN  Lord AZ - He beat the DE one on one.  I got the impression be beat back the DW and DA and had to deal with the SO at the end.  I could be wrong here but thats the way I heard everything went down.  Who else had to deal with 4 other aggressors?  

WI Subtotal: 14,905 25,530

1,000 Regional Control of a region: Northern Mists
400 Regional Substantial in a region: Eastern Steppes
200 Regional Signficant in a region: Amberland
400 Military Group with > 70k vs. PC: (4WI) 157,004
400 Magic Have a pwr 7+ wizard: (1WI) Pwr-10 Lockgorge
400 Magic Have a pwr 7+ wizard: (1WI) Pwr-7 Crecy
400 Magic Have a pwr 7+ wizard: (1WI) Pwr-7 Galdor
400 Magic Have a pwr 7+ wizard: (2WI) Pwr-9 Eklar
400 Magic Have a pwr 7+ wizard: (2WI) Pwr-9 Sironus
400 Magic Have a pwr 7+ wizard: (2WI) Pwr-7 Khilmor
400 Magic Have a pwr 7+ wizard: (4WI) Pwr-7 Armsted
400 Magic Have a pwr 7+ wizard: (4WI) Pwr-7 Firstborn
300 Artifact Item: Ring of Spells
300 Artifact Item: Axe of Farin
200 Artifact Item: Ring of Protection
400 Artifact Item: Giant Slayer
200 Artifact Item: Ring of Protection
400 Artifact Item: Troll Slayer
400 Artifact Item: Staff of the Great Orator
400 Artifact Item: Staff of Disdain
300 Artifact Item: Palantir Redjak
400 Political Have an influence of 20+: 23.50
200 Political Member on the High Council
400 Covert Have an agent 11+: Agent 11 Cromwell
400 Covert Have an agent 11+: Agent 11 DEERHUNTER
400 Covert Have an agent 11+: Agent 11 DORN
400 Covert Have an agent 11+: Agent 11 GONDARAIN
400 Covert Have an agent 11+: Agent 11 HORUS
400 Covert Have an agent 11+: Agent 11 ROGAL
400 Covert Have an agent 11+: Agent 11 TRYGON
400 Covert Have an agent 11+: Agent 11 ZARTAN
200 Covert Have an agent 8-10: Fanatic 10 Narfin
200 Covert Have an agent 8-10: Agent 9 TEKEN
200 Covert Have an agent 8-10: Agent 9 TITAN
200 Covert Have an agent 8-10: Agent 9 TOKEN
120 Covert Prisoner: (Darkelven) Princess Castlerock At Area FO
120 Covert Prisoner: (Gnome) Prince Inaros At Area FO
45 Covert Prisoner: (Warlock) Governor DRELLA At Area FO
120 Covert Prisoner: (Elven) Agent 12 Stedford At Area FO
400 Economic Total gold production of 150k+: 221,281 gold per month
400 Economic Total food production of 100k+: 177,924 food per month
1,000 Citizenship Survive until end of game

I think what happened is that he was hanging out at Viperhead when DA attacked on the last turn and captured him.  You attacked DA's capitol right after that and captured him from the DA.  

Why doesn't the End Of Game spreadsheet list the numbers of regions a kingdom controls at the end?
-This Khal Drogo, it's said he has a hundred thousand men in his horde

(09-11-2015, 07:14 PM)Drogo Wrote: Why doesn't the End Of Game spreadsheet list the numbers of regions a kingdom controls at the end?

Because it wasn't something we considered when we built it and the file the system creates doesn't report it. We were also limited for space on the report since we really wanted to keep it to one page. 

We may add it when we rebuild Valhalla for 3rd Cycle. With 24 possible kingdoms instead of 15, we'll have to change it all up anyway. 

Assuming we are still limited on space, is there anything you wouldn't mind seeing go away in return for adding the regional control? 
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

(sorry this is so late. I got interrupted about 3/4 of the way and never came back. The last bit is rushed, but if I didn't do it now, it would never get posted.)

The Tale of the Distracted Gnome......Squirrel!

My tale for this game does not start at T0. Instead, it starts back in the middle of Game 161. (Stop making weird faces, I'll explain).  Remember, I'm still mostly newb, so when I happened to do a recon of a gnome town during that game, I was utterly surprised. It was producing more gold than a city! Eventually someone explained to me that, that is just what gnomes do. Well... I had to get me some of that! So when I signed up for this game, I picked gnome.  (See, I told you it would make sense.. Tongue ) Anyway, shortly (very shortly) after I posted that I wanted the gnome, I got a mail from RyVor asking if I knew what I was getting into. That since JF had picked the UN, there would be a special, implied burden on the GN to keep him down and he was letting me know what to expect. (Thanks!). However, since my primary goal was to see if I could achieve such massive production, I had no real intent on fighting anyone at first. (Later, I read about the gnome being a 'sleeper' position and thought, PERFECT!).

Well, the UN had plans and seemed more than happy to form an alliance. I had delusions of sitting in the corner all game and funding other people's wars. A quick NAP with the AN and things were looking good. Turn 1 results appear and BOOM, I'm first on the high council. Never done that before, so I was excited. With Cradia uncontested and pop centers rolling under my belt, I turned my attention to gold. The gnomes apparently get the spell to increase gold production in a pop center at P2. So, I get control on T3. On T4, all but 2 of my wizzies are P2. They are all P2 by the next turn and my production is shooting through the roof.  By turn 10, the portion of R7 that I control is cranking out 173K gold (Plus I'm trading almost my entire food production on the marked for gold too).  On turns 6,7,8, and 9, I dump 50K gold on the UN. I probably would have continued (I was giddy with wealth) but he told me to stop it and train my wizzies instead. Summer hits in the south and production drops to only 93K, but by the time T15 rolls around, I hit my high of 223K gold. It stays there for one more turn and then things start to go sour.  After that, my gold production bounces around, wildly, between 40 and 100K. Still, that was more gold than I'd ever had to play around with. I'm hoping that is at least on-par for what a decent gnome player sees. Had I not made so many other mistakes and stayed on top, I cannot imagine what kind of production that would mean. Regardless, I am still very excited about my gold production in 168.

Emissaries. At some point early in the golden age, JF mentioned that I should be promoting my emissaries up to princes. Like a good little puppy, I did (although it meant less orders for re-investment of gold into gold production). By the time we launched our attack on the WA, I had 6. Later on, I got worried and made two more for 8 total. By T23, I was down to only 4, so I hired 5 ambassadors, promoted them a bit and sent them out. On T27, I hired five more. By that time I was down to only 2 princes. They survived, though, until T38 and 39. Is it a good thing that my last two princes fell to an assassin's blade while they were Regent? 

Wizards. Somehow they avoided the rapid rise and fall that my production and emissaries had. Granted, by turn 17, I had two P6's and had failed THREE attempts to get to P7. Production was falling, so I didn't try again for a P7 until T31. He made it, bringing my wizards to 7,6,5,4,4.

OK, so have I bored everyone to tears yet? Sorry, apparently my memory does not go back 40 turns very well. So I went digging through the turns.. and that yielded nothing but baseball stats. I hate baseball. Let me try to cobble some kind of story together. 

Like I said, I was happily making gold and princes in my little corner of the world. I talked to some of my neighbors, but not as much as I usually do. It is not long though, before UN says we need to jump the WA before he gets powerful. I was worried that 'making the first move' would end my sleeper status and I'd actually have to do work. But the RA/DA/DW/BL had started out fighting, so I told myself this wasn't really the 'first move'. So we do it. But, I guess we made bigger waves than I expected. 

The UN and I scout out the WA pop centers and then flood them with emmies. Plus the UN takes out a number of the WA emmies. By about T16, the only WA pop center we know about is Avalon. We were hoping he'd quit, but he didn't. I knew it was a bad idea to leave him alive, but I never got around to getting any troops over to the city. Classic and fatal mistake. Anyway, about that time, the AN and DE are going at it pretty good too. We are on good terms with the AN but had not been helping him. I guess the AN talked the UN into helping, but I will not get in because that would be 3v1. Instead, since I've heard that the DA was messing with the UN, I'd pay him a visit. I probably should have just stopped and built, but I wanted to make sure I stayed away from the DE.

If you didn't sleep during all the stats earlier, you know that I'm riding high about this time. I've got tons of production rolling in. I have 8 princes, two P6 and 5 P3, and Cradia's defenses are over 60K. Plus we just wasted the WA like it was nothing. Feeling invincible, I just waltz into R6 and start taking stuff from the DA with a "Mess with my ally? I'll show you" attitude. I cannot say I did not deserve what happens next. Quite naturally, the DA will have none of that foolishness and strikes back hard. And his ally, the DW, jumps in. The DA and UN were already at it a bit, so this is just a nice little 2v2. Except that now I see that the WA refuses to roll over and die.  Hmmm... bad, but I'm still feeling relatively invincible. I can handle him and the other two. Besides, the AN has had great success against the DE and the UN should be freeing up shortly.

And then the BL blind sides me. Well, not exactly. I did stumble across his army group right on the border of R7. That should have warned me, but nope. I was invincible and there hadn't really been any hostilities between us yet.  I just figured he was 'cleaning up' R10 or something. Hubris sucks, LOL! So anyway, I am completely surprised when that same BL group shows up at Cradia the next turn. Suddenly I remember how to add and realize that 1+1+1+1 is way more than I can handle. So I pipe up on the forum. I wanted to make sure that each of them knew that they were not the only ones attacking me. Sure, I had picked a fight with 3 of those 4, and fully deserve what I got. But I'm also sure none of those players would knowingly participate in such a gang up. 

Quite generously, the DW/DA backed off and left R7 alone. And it is a good thing, because the BL did an awesome job punting me back and forth across the zone. Cradia's defenses were really high, but the whole sky was black with flying, scaly things. I had all of my troops sitting outside the city and I hoped to be able to reduce his force's strength enough that he could not siege me. Well, my actions apparently had the opposite effect, barely touching his numbers but greatly increasing his moral. My group lives and we do it again next turn. Ditto. I do manage to sneak in my patrol of invisible wizards in there and take his out (I think). The UN takes out some leaders and I think we poisoned their food. But in the end, the city falls and my king is captured. (I would LOVE to know if I ever came close to breaking the siege)

Meanwhile, the DW/DA have reclaimed the stuff I took from them in R5 and R6 and I'm left with far fewer resources than I had grown accustomed to. The BL and I continue to spar in R7. How he can continue to give me so much trouble is amazing, because he was going toe-to-toe with the EL in the east. Hats off the the BL, amazing player. 

Eventually, the WA gets a very dangerous magic, military, and political presence in R7. It was almost like he was hell bent on cleansing R7 of both gnomes AND dragons.  So it was a fun little melee we had down there. Eventually, I got my military back into play and even managed to kill some dragons. And the WA.... he probably hates me forever. On two occasions I was able to port in my invisible wizard brigade and take out his wizards. The first time, I think I killed a P5. The second time was really cruel. I saw he had a group of 3 P3s sitting at Avalon...  So I port in with a P7,P6,P5 and take them all out at once. He must have been leveling them as I think one or two were P4 when they died. Oh, and the DA had showed up again. He had a big group running around down in R7 too. I was hoping to do the same wiz-kill to him, but never got the chance. 

About this time, though, something strange happened. We were rapidly approaching the 40 turn limit and it seemed like no one was really in position to Rex (as far as I could tell). Suddenly it seems like everyone's priorities switch to focus almost 100% on status point acquisition. I guess that is normal, but it was strange to me. 

I'm sure there was a ton more I was planning to say, but it has been too long and I've forgotten so much.

It is sad that the BL wound up so low on the status point list. That does NOT reflect his level of play. It was an honor to get pummeled by him.  All in all, this was a great game. Thanks to everyone who played.
bananas (on the forums)
Arch-Mage of Entropy (in games)
             - Wanderer of Alamaze

Player nominated - 
157 - TR : Chancellor 
161 - AN : Chancellor & Iron Willed

Very nice post, Bananas.  Thanks for your time.  I think we may have to make it illegal for Jumpingfist to be the Underworld.  Tongue 

The Gnomes I feel are a very interesting kingdom.  Generally accepted as the #4 magic power, with those gold production capabilities, and usually the Gnome can stay out of trouble in a diplomacy game, with some diplomatic effort.  9 Silvers.