Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 178
This game ended today. Congratulations to the podium finishers and to the seven kingdoms who survived to turn 25.
Canticar is on a roll lately. Looking forward to the write-ups.

Victory By SVC Is The Demon Princes Kingdom!

Game End Status Points

Place Kingdom Player Results-25 Grand Total

1 DE Canticar 14,260 21,318
2 BL Vball Michael 7,945 13,303
3 DW Drogo 7,700 13,050
4 AN Mauler 6,200 11,605
5 UN DuPont 7,000 10,344
6 DA Damelon 6,300 9,950
7 RD Jhereg 2,000 3,753

(RA) Started off well, without a SO player. My plan was to expand into R10, and that was initially going like clockwork, with me taking a number of pop centers there in addition to R9.

Unfortunately, after I took my region, I left my city open in R9 to a one-turn DE blitz, which really handicapped me.

I tried declaring peace with BL by removing my blocking emissary from YU and not attacking in the desert when our groups faced off and declaring BL neutral, but BL was undoubtedly and understandably displeased with me for causing him so much early trouble, and he did not reciprocate.

I then fought a running battle against both DE and BL, with DE fading back but BL storming in with force. With R10 firmly in BL hands and me having to claw back my city and various other pop centers in R9 that were taken by either DE or BL, I was on the losing end of a war of attrition.

Then our newborn came and my free time for Alamaze plunged, and so after setting up some anti-BL standing orders, I ended up dropping this game. (I hate to drop diplomacy or silent games, but I have fewer qualms about dropping anonymous games.)

Congratulations to both BL and DE, the DE strike on my city was perfectly timed, and then BL definitely got the best of me over the subsequent 10+ turns!

So HH was the thorn in my side for pretty much the entire game. Hmmm.

(BL) So I started just knowing I would take Southern, then decide north or west. HH made that decision for me. He may have understated just how much he was in my business right from the beginning. On turn 1 he was at my city, and by turn 2 he had a standing order to maintain status quo there. He had at least one group and an emissary active from the beginning. Slowed me down quite a bit. Even broke my siege of my own city with his main army so that I had to start my siege over on Turn 7. Had trouble paying my troops on turns 3 and 4 and none of this slowed him down from taking region 9 on turn 4.
He did declare me neutral on turn 6, but I was not buying. I was near the bottom of the status points and had been seriously hampered. The Rangers would have to pay.
I spent turns 7-9 preparing to strike back, raising agents and emissaries and influence and brigades, and started with villages. My goal was to hurt the RA food production through the bad season (turns 11-13). Thus, by turn 11 I owned all villages in Southern and most of the villages in Synisvania. I moved to the RA capital on Turn 9 but he had just moved it that turn to a water village. I settled for sabotaging the defense to 0 for that capital and hoping somebody would come by and hit it. Unfortunately, as the BL, I could do nothing to it even though it was 0 and right there in my sights.
Quite a bit of back and forth with the RA over the next several turns, and I felt I had the long term advantage with 1.5 regions of production while he had .5 regions. Couple of nice battles but nothing really game-changing. Finally took a short break around turn 13 to get phoenixes and recruit big time, then headed into Synisvania in force. Started killing off RA emissaries. Between turns 13 and 16 I assassinated a Level 12 agent, a level 4 agent, a power 2 wizard, a baron, an envoy, an ambassador, a power 1 wizard, and killed a couple of more emissaries when I hit pop centers with my groups. Our battles were also doing some attrition to both of us and I think I was able to rebuild my armies faster. I knew I would eventually wear him down (I was not aware of his slow start due to DE interference, though I did have to take some DE things in Synisvania as well as Ranger when I moved in). Finally assassinated a Ranger power 3 and a power 2 and took Synisvania and denigrated Ranger and was moving up on the status points list for Turn 18, then the RA had to drop for family reasons.
I spent the next few turns invading Talking Mountains (thought it was Elf when I began my invasion, but really the DW was defending the region as the Elf left and it went neutral). Was 1 village away from a victory twice. Oh well, too slow.
Grats to the DE for finishing it a little faster Smile. Happy to have hurt the DW just enough to edge him out for second.

DE

The game started relatively routinely but the RA decided to take a neutral pop center in Arcania and my starting village in Synisvania, both on turn 3. I was not certain if he was attacking or just claiming territory so I took back the pop centers in Arcania and the village in Synisvania and for good measure I took the city in Synisvania. By this time it was apparent that the RA was not attacking in full force and I started to see a BL presence in the region so I backed out of Synisvania and moved into the regions I had planned to target, Torvale and Runnimeade.

Talk about going from the frying pan into the fire. The RD and AN were already embroiled in a conflict over these two regions and Mauler as the AN and Jhereg as the RD were tenacious. The three of us swapped ownership of the two regions several times. Finally I was able to consolidate enough of Runnimeade to hold the region, even though the RD had the City and the AN had their capital there.

As we got closer to turn 20 and I saw the BL had two regions, and it became apparent I would never control both Runnimeade and Torvale, I had to move quickly to consolidate a third region. Oakendale was uncontrolled but I did not know the location of any pop centers in the region and I was Hostile.

Somewhere early in my struggles in the south I had looked at the pop centers in the Northern Mists. I also enamored the mists so I was tolerant. My preparations in the Mists were very relevant as after it soaked in that I would not be able to take both Runnimeade and Torvale I jumped to the Mists, sorry Drogo. As it turns out the DW and BL were at each other’s throats and I snuck into the Mists while Drogo was focused elsewhere. With the DW occupied it only took 2 turns to wrestle control of the region from him.

I was able to hold Runnimeade, just barely, and take control of the Mists just in time as the BL was also declaring. While I think I could have held the Mists for another turn I don’t know if my hold on Runnimeade was enough to hold.

I did not have much contact with the UN (Dupont) but I suspect his agents were the ones stealing gold from my cities. Normally this would not have been much of an issue but I was struggling against the AN and RD and the gold he was taking kept me from being able to recon. Very annoying.

Damelon and I never really crossed paths.

This was a great game with plenty of conflict. Congratulations to everyone who survived the fray and a tip of the hat to the four kingdoms I had the most interaction with, BL, DW, AN, RD. You guys made the game most interesting.

Congrats to all for a game well fought! A hardy well done to George for the win!

AN: I started with the TR in Torvale and immediately moved to hamper his efforts. However, he declared me an ally the following turn so I just had to work around his pop centers. I think that the derailing of his plans led to an earlier exit so apologies to the player if it led to a disheartening opening for the game.

After sorting out the region, I had the option of moving north or south and given some thieving and kidnapping, I decided to pay our dear friend the UN a visit (Which would prove a costly mistake but I couldn't have known that the EL/WI were dropping). With region 7 split between the RD and UN my reasoning was that this game being anonymous, it was unlikely that the RD would know about my move on the UN until I was ready to pivot against him. That however didn't account for the UN being Dupont, who naturally fought tooth and nail. I think I got the drop on him knocking out a few p3's, a bunch of agents, and his cap, but in true Dupont fashion, he continued to stymie my efforts and even rescued his whole court (Dupont: I had a standing order to kill them but it didn't trigger on the turn re-run-gaaahhhhh!!!!). In the meantime, the RD moved into 4 eventually breaking my control so I returned the favor in 7. However, things then went all pear shaped when the DE blew into 7. That overloaded me and I had to scale back as I couldn't keep hammering 3 kingdoms. I was pleased that I actually got a chance to battle the DE's army having dispelled his wall of fire. I was shocked that he lost no leaders or wizards having taken 58% casualties, but it was fun to have gotten a chance to flex my military muscles against the game winner.

Rather than move back into 7, the RD stayed around in 4 as a harasser, so my pivot into 1 was too little too late.

Great fun, a great challenge, and a lot of anticipation for the turn results.

Hat tip to you all and looking forward to the next game!

Here is the excerpt of the battle:

Battle between the 4th Ancient Ones army group and the 2nd Demon Princes small army in the
forest of area PE:

Ancient Ones Demon Princes

Commanders
Warlord Alexander General Rednar
Marshal Hannibal Captain Kallik
General II Xerxes
Wizards
Power-5 Irikhan Power-6 Ranisan
Power-5 Nexus Power-5 Unitar
Power-4 Dia'Desro
Brigades
8 Kingdom 4 Kingdom
5 Monsters 3 Skeletons
Infantry
8,400 Light Footmen 6,240 Light Footmen
8,800 Medium Footmen 1,536 Medium Footmen
1,600 Heavy Footmen 1,728 Heavy Footmen
1,600 Guard Footmen
Cavalry
2,400 Medium Horse 768 Light Horse
800 Elite Horse 768 Medium Horse
Missiles
1,600 Bowmen 768 Skirmishers
1,600 Longbowmen 1,344 Bowmen
288 Longbowmen
Combat Factors
Grand Leaders Good Leaders
Tactical Selection
Standard Battle Plan Surprised

Early in the day, with a hand signal from its commander, the 4th Ancient Ones army group
eagerly swept toward the defensive position of the 2nd Demon Princes small army under
General Rednar. Among the Ancient Ones troops were brigades of Monsters, which now leaped
ahead to the first ranks! Among the Demon Princes troops were brigades of Skeletons, which
now raced to the front lines! Being surprised by the sudden onset of battle, the
defender's leaders were unorganized in issuing orders and the troops were greatly
demoralized that diminished their defensive capabilities. The Ancient Ones's ability to
battle their natural enemy created a chance to deliver blows dreamed of for ages against
the loathsome Demon Princes! The Demon Princes's chance to damage their mortal enemy
created the ability to deliver blows dreamed of for ages against the detested Ancient
Ones! As the attackers crossed the dark forest, the battle began.

- Archers -

Archers from both sides joined the fray and fired their arrows. The Ancient Ones lines
imposed noticable casualties upon the Demon Princes lines in response, the Demon Princes
caused minor damage against the enemy.

- Magic -

Ancient Ones mages dismounted barely past where the defensive missles were falling and
began an incomprehensible spell. Power-5 wizard Irikhan made a series of intricate
gestures, with chilling ease he fired many volleys of minor phantasms and magical bolts
into the heart of the enemy force. Power-5 wizard Nexus slowly spoke in an arcane
language, gestures building to a crescendo, he then directed with great effect a series of
minor phantasms and magical bolts into the ranks of the enemy. Power-4 wizard Dia'Desro
threw back his hood and gestured in an animated fashion, in rapid succession were cast
many killing illusions and waves of deadly cold into the heart of the enemy force. Demon
Princes conjurers dismounted just past where the defensive missles were falling and began
an elaborate incantation. Power-6 wizard Ranisan began sorcerous incantations in an
unknown tongue, in rapid succession were cast many phantasmal forces and deadly
pyrotechnics into the heart of the enemy force. Power-5 wizard Unitar while seemingly
detached from all else, seemed to draw within himself and began to incant, with
awe-inspiring precision he launched many phantasmal forces and deadly pyrotechnics into
the ranks of the enemy. The Ancient Ones ranks dealt out noticable casualties upon the
Demon Princes ranks in return, the Demon Princes imposed minor casualties to their enemy.

- Artifact -

By raising Giant Slayer, Ancient Ones Warlord Alexander infused his troops with boldness
and caused alarm in the minds of the Demon Princes leaders as the magical sword slew enemy
forces.

- Cavalry -

Now Warlord Alexander beckoned the Ancient Ones various silhouettes of their multi-racial
cavalry down upon the black riders on black mounts charged ahead with great malice of the
Demon Princes. The Ancient Ones forces imposed significant casualties upon the Demon
Princes lines in response, the Demon Princes claimed light casualties against the enemy.

- Conclusion -

General Rednar saw that fortune was not with the Demon Princes this day, and signalled the
retreat. Being surprised by the battle, the withdrawing force suffered greater losses
during their withdrawal. The retreat was a credit to the Demon Princes force's discipline,
as few additional losses were suffered withdrawing. Ancient Ones casualties were put at
4%. All Ancient Ones leaders survived the battle. Surpassing expectations was Xerxes, who
once again has distinguished himself. He is now a Marshal. All the Ancient Ones wizards
survived the fray. The indisbutable nature of the force's victory has greatly increased
morale. Demon Princes casualties were put at 58%. All Demon Princes leaders survived the
battle. All the Demon Princes wizards survived the fray. Losses suffered in the effort and
depression of defeat have greatly diminished morale.

Game details attached.

Attached Files
.pdf   End of Game Details - Game 178 - 10192015.pdf (Size: 238.63 KB / Downloads: 18)
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

(10-20-2015, 09:09 PM)Lord Diamond Wrote: Game details attached.

(DA) In my usual fashion, I was too cautious ... but had fun! I took my region fairly early with little competition and then built up. When I finally got bored enough to come out of my safe kingdom and go after the UN for all the times he stole gold from my city, it was much too little, much too late! Oh well. It was fun.
Congrats to Canticar, Vball and Drogo!

UN - Gee, I love playing the UN - especially in anonymous games even though you can't do all the diplomacy that would usually benefit that kingdom. I started out with the GN not being played - what a bonus! But then I saw that the RD was clearly going to make his home in Runnimede, so I gave up any hopes of controlling the region. It wasn't in my original plan, anyway - I chose a SVC that needed 3 Substantial and 2 Significant. I declared the RD an ally on turn 2 and moved out of Cradia, leaving it for him. He took my olive branch and let me have enough pop centers to get to substantial. I worked on my agents - yes, I ruthlessly stole from people (with the exception of the RD, as he was an ally). I needed 7 prisoners for my ESO and some of those came from the DA, whose capital I had discovered by accident. But others came from the AN, who was close by and here I made a mistake. I knew I was provoking him and figured I'd have time to deal with any repercussions, but I had been slower than I should have in building my fleet in the Sea of Mystery where my capital was based. I'd built up defenses in that town, but not enough for the 12 brigade group and fleet that came my way. I was soon on the run as the AN went after my pop centers. For the first time, I felt the need to create one of those sanctuaries - I nearly needed it, too - at one point, I was reduced to one village. But my stealing kept my kingdom funded and I was able to keep every single member of my court alive - I only lost agents. So when the GI dropped, I was able to quickly move into Amberland before anybody else got there and take control. I moved my capital from my lone village to Avalon and then into a town in the Sea of Foreboding.
Then the EL dropped as well - I didn't think I'd be allowed to take Oakendell uncontested, but I moved there as fast as I could and managed to get it on the last turn. I did see the AN was just showing up there, but I was a turn or two ahead of him. The DA was making some moves in Amberland, but not enough to threaten my control.
I really didn't think I had any chance to win - the AN blowing me out of the water in the midgame pretty much ended that - but I was quite happy to come back from controlling one lone village to having two regions. In hindsight, I should have chosen a further target than the AN to kidnap from or at least done a better job of building up my fleets in the Sea of Mystery. I certainly didn't blame the AN for coming after me, though I was happy enough to see him get bogged down so he wasn't free to peruse me into Amberland.
I'm really looking forward to my next game as the UN and congrats to the winners!

(RD). As soon as I noticed there was no GN in region 7 and with the southern production a nessisity to feed my troops I immediately decided that Runnimede would be my home. From there it took a bit to gain the region as I didn't want to take on an enemy (even the UN, no effense DuPont,) early in the contest until I had established a base and consolidated my forces, so I tried to avoid the UN allowing him to take a few PC's. But by turn 6 region 7 was mine and I started to work toward my ESO and start looking at where to expand. By turn 14 I had achieved my ESO, divined the PC locations of both the DE and AN, raised by regional reaction in both regions to friendly and was ready to strike out into either torvale or arcania when I noticed the 4AN army in my region. This made the decision easy and I moved into region 4 on turn 15. Even with the rerun it looked like everything was going swimmingly on turn 16. I had knocked the AN out if control, denigrated him in region 7 and felt pretty good about how my attack was progressing. Then everything went pear shaped. I missed sending in my turn 17 orders due to the rerun changing the due date to Saturday right at the same time the AN counter attacked and the DE began invading region 7. By turn 19 I was able to gain control of torvale only to lose control of Runnimede to the DE. After that it was a constant struggle to hold on to as many PC's as possible from both the AN and DE. Eventually between a two front war and the summer I was just barely able to keep my army afloat and the slow downward spiral began as I was turned into a strictly military kingdom where I could only take back 3 or 4 PC's a turn. It was a fun game and I enjoyed battling the AN and DE. Congrats to the podium finishers.

Nice write-ups, everyone. This may be the first time I have seen every finisher do a write-up, plus one who did not quite get to the finish but was impactful in the game.
And all were positive, uplifting testaments. Thanks to all.