Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sad News Regarding Maximus Dominus
With heavy heart I'm sorry to say that a selfless friend to me, Alamaze and to all PBEM has passed away from cancer.  I had been inquiring via email to him and with no responses, posted on his forum where also there was no response which was very unusual for Charles Mosteller aka Grim Finger aka to us, Maximus Dominus.  I became concerned and expressed that on his forum.  Another follower found the obituary where Charles passed away in a hospital in South Carolina on October 24.

Charles built this forum, did the forum software upgrades, and had assisted with never a dollar of fee for 10 years between Fall of Rome and Alamaze.  He started the last PBEM e-zine in Suspense & Decision.

He was a friend to me and champion for our hobby.  He will be remembered, and will be missed.  Peace be with you, Charles.  Thanks for all you did.

That is sad. Sad RIP

(11-03-2016, 11:00 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: With heavy heart I'm sorry to say that a selfless friend to me, Alamaze and to all PBEM has passed away from cancer.  I had been inquiring via email to him and with no responses, posted on his forum where also there was no response which was very unusual for Charles Mosteller aka Grim Finger aka to us, Maximus Dominus.  I became concerned and expressed that on his forum.  Another follower found the obituary where Charles passed away in a hospital in South Carolina on October 24.

Charles built this forum, did the forum software upgrades, and had assisted with never a dollar of fee for 10 years between Fall of Rome and Alamaze.  He started the last PBEM e-zine in Suspense & Decision.

He was a friend to me and champion for our hobby.  He will be remembered, and will be missed.  Peace be with you, Charles.  Thanks for all you did.

RIP Maximus Dominus!

You will be missed.
Lord Thanatos

(11-03-2016, 11:00 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: With heavy heart I'm sorry to say that a selfless friend to me, Alamaze and to all PBEM has passed away from cancer.  I had been inquiring via email to him and with no responses, posted on his forum where also there was no response which was very unusual for Charles Mosteller aka Grim Finger aka to us, Maximus Dominus.  I became concerned and expressed that on his forum.  Another follower found the obituary where Charles passed away in a hospital in South Carolina on October 24.

Thanks, Rick! I like you a lot, but for a Gnome King, your contacts for information of this sort are lacking.

As the saying goes, rumors of my demise are exaggerated. That obituary was for a different Charles Mosteller, and it wasn't a recent obituary, if memory serves me correctly.
I didn't know that you guys were discussing it, at the time that you were.

I'm getting older, and I have my share of issues, but I'm still hanging in there. I responded in the other forum, the one on the PlayByMail.Net website, but I wasn't aware that a separate thread on the subject was in existence here, as well. I found this thread, tonight, while browsing various threads pretty much at random.

Long live GrimFinger! Long live Maximus Dominus! Long live Good King Charles!

In brighter news, I just published a new issue of Suspense & Decision magazine, for those who are interested in such.

(01-11-2017, 06:51 AM)Maximus Dominus Wrote:

Thanks, Rick! I like you a lot, but for a Gnome King, your contacts for information of this sort are lacking.

As the saying goes, rumors of my demise are exaggerated. That obituary was for a different Charles Mosteller, and it wasn't a recent obituary, if memory serves me correctly.
I didn't know that you guys were discussing it, at the time that you were.

I'm getting older, and I have my share of issues, but I'm still hanging in there. I responded in the other forum, the one on the PlayByMail.Net website, but I wasn't aware that a separate thread on the subject was in existence here, as well. I found this thread, tonight, while browsing various threads pretty much at random.

Long live GrimFinger! Long live Maximus Dominus! Long live Good King Charles!

In brighter news, I just published a new issue of Suspense & Decision magazine, for those who are interested in such.

GREAT NEWS ! ! !

Our very own Witchlord has returned to Alamaze!

You must remain active on the Forums or nasty rumors are bandied about. . .

It is good to hear from you Maximus Dominus.
Lord Thanatos

Rumors, nasty or otherwise, I'm not particularly bothered by.

With the passage of time including  changes in priorities and in allocation of free time. As I get older, I tend to draw smaller and smaller circles. I drop off the face of the Internet planet, at times, for better or for worse. I won't always be able to come back from the dead, so I guess that I should chalk this up to one item crossed off the bucket list that I don't have.

It is reassuring that not everyone is celebrating word of my passing, to be sure. Thanks for the sentiments, Thanatos. I read your postings on here, from time to time. Time is always of the essence and ever in short supply, it seems. Even not spending a lot of time at this forum still leaves me gasping for air, where the never-ending search for more free time is concerned.

There's a lot of good things swirling in the air about Alamaze. How do I find time to learn the game, much less play it? Even still, I am always tempted, when I browse the forum, here. Various changes about Alamaze are far more tempting to me than Fall of Rome ever was. Fall of Rome had its strengths, but Alamaze doesn't have the generic quality that Fall of Rome positions often felt like they had, to me. One of my new year's resolutions that I didn't write down is to try and invest more time in learning and playing games, with Alamaze being one of those games that I at least want to sample. Time is the biggest issue, though, not lack of temptation.

I hope that you are doing well.
- Charles -

For our players, I had recently been in contact with Maximus / Grimfinger / Charles after all that time and was relieved, and wrote to him I want to hug him, then slug him for keeping everyone in the dark for so long.

My recollection is the obituary to the person of the same name in the same state was at the date where we lost contact with Charles, and who as a person who was always prompt returning emails, it seemed that the worst must be true.

At any rate we are glad to be wrong and look forward to more contributions from Grimfinger to the PBEM world.

BTW Charles, did you pull Issue #14 down?  I saw it when it came out but trying to access it again from playbymail.net?

(01-12-2017, 09:05 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: For our players, I had recently been in contact with Maximus / Grimfinger / Charles after all that time and was relieved, and wrote to him I want to hug him, then slug him for keeping everyone in the dark for so long.

My recollection is the obituary to the person of the same name in the same state was at the date where we lost contact with Charles, and who as a person who was always prompt returning emails, it seemed that the worst must be true.

At any rate we are glad to be wrong and look forward to more contributions from Grimfinger to the PBEM world.

BTW Charles, did you pull Issue #14 down?  I saw it when it came out but trying to access it again from playbymail.net?

Your age consumes you, Gnome Lord. For a long while now, I have largely abandoned e-mail. The accounts still exist, but much rust has accumulated.

Issue #14 isn't down. I even registered a new domain name, to make it easier for you to find the latest issue.

http://suspense-and-decision.com/

https://suspense-and-decision.com/Issue-...gazine.pdf

(01-15-2017, 06:06 PM)Maximus Dominus Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 09:05 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: For our players, I had recently been in contact with Maximus / Grimfinger / Charles after all that time and was relieved, and wrote to him I want to hug him, then slug him for keeping everyone in the dark for so long.

Your age consumes you, Gnome Lord. For a long while now, I have largely abandoned e-mail. The accounts still exist, but much rust has accumulated.

Issue #14 isn't down. I even registered a new domain name, to make it easier for you to find the latest issue.

http://suspense-and-decision.com/

https://suspense-and-decision.com/Issue-...gazine.pdf

So playbymail.net is no longer an active portal?   How would your readers know to look for an entirely different URL than they used before?

(01-15-2017, 07:20 PM)Ry Vor Wrote: So playbymail.net is no longer an active portal?   How would your readers know to look for an entirely different URL than they used before?

No, that is NOT correct.

PlayByMail.Net is still an active website. Its forum there remains intact, as well.