Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Final Alamaze Changes
Other thoughts:

Allow a Ward PC spell (#130) to stay on the PC it was cast upon until such time that it activates by negating a Meteor Strike (or similar spell). It's too much of a guessing game as to "where" the enemy's invisible group will appear and destroy your PC. Level the playing field a bit by allowing the spell to be proactive. You can cast it ahead of time on a PC and it just sits there until it is actually activated (perhaps a 20% chance each turn that it fades away?). Each PC can only have one such Ward cast on it and once it negates the first Meteor Strike the protection is gone, so subsequent Meteor Strikes would get through until another 130 is cast on the PC again. The PC owner should get a little note on their report that the PC is protected by a Ward PC spell.

Scrap the current Teleport Portal system (#726). Instead replace it with the following (which I think will make the game far more exciting).
Each region gets exactly one Teleport Portal randomly placed on the map when the game is created. Teleport Portals are no longer linked/paired. Instead, when a group "starts" its turn on a Teleport Portal it may issue the new 854 order and teleport to any other location in the game that is NOT a water square (the group would indicate its destination square in the 854 order). The group will arrive there at the end of the turn. The group may NOT issue any 565 orders nor can any "Summon" spells be cast when issuing an 854 order.

This has several benefits: 1) the slow moving groups with no chance of ever getting to teleport groups (e.g., Dwarves, Halflings) now can do so by reaching the nearest portal; overcoming perhaps their greatest limitation on why they are not regularly chosen to play in Steel games, 2) Wizard kingdom teleports are still "superior" to this new method in that the wizard kingdom group usually doesn't have to move to a Teleport Portal first, they can still recruit/summon before/after teleporting, and their wizards can still cast 799 prior to teleport because they can start from a PC location, and 3) groups can now "guard" and/or try and ambush groups at Teleport Portal locations since once known they are likely to become popular points to move to especially early in the game when few wizards can teleport more than brigade-sized groups. Imagine the fun if 5 different kingdoms all had armies arrive at the same teleport portal on the same turn! You could also make the Portals not activate/function until T5 (or T11) if they would be too disruptive that early in the game.

What if Hidden Capitals would automatically be eliminated (get uncovered) after a certain number of turns or after certain achievements. Possible triggers: Control of a region (or 2), Control of X number of population, Joining High Council.

Or what if their discovery was tied to an agent order and the success of that order was tied to the population level of the kingdom in that Region? For example, the more population the target kingdom controls, the more people that would know it's location and thus the more likely that my agent could bribe someone to learn it's location. This could also be turn limited so could not be used before turn X,Y or Z

(12-07-2017, 09:44 PM)IMPERIAL_TARK Wrote: Other thoughts:

Allow a Ward PC spell (#130) to stay on the PC it was cast upon until such time that it activates by negating a Meteor Strike (or similar spell).  It's too much of a guessing game as to "where" the enemy's invisible group will appear and destroy your PC.  Level the playing field a bit by allowing the spell to be proactive.  You can cast it ahead of time on a PC and it just sits there until it is actually activated (perhaps a 20% chance each turn that it fades away?).  Each PC can only have one such Ward cast on it and once it negates the first Meteor Strike the protection is gone, so subsequent Meteor Strikes would get through until another 130 is cast on the PC again.  The PC owner should get a little note on their report that the PC is protected by a Ward PC spell.

Scrap the current Teleport Portal system (#726).  Instead replace it with the following (which I think will make the game far more exciting).
   Each region gets exactly one Teleport Portal randomly placed on the map when the game is created.  Teleport Portals are no longer linked/paired.  Instead, when a group "starts" its turn on a Teleport Portal it may issue the new 854 order and teleport to any other location in the game that is NOT a water square (the group would indicate its destination square in the 854 order). The group will arrive there at the end of the turn.  The group may NOT issue any 565 orders nor can any "Summon" spells be cast when issuing an 854 order.

This has several benefits:  1) the slow moving groups with no chance of ever getting to teleport groups (e.g., Dwarves, Halflings) now can do so by reaching the nearest portal; overcoming perhaps their greatest limitation on why they are not regularly chosen to play in Steel games, 2) Wizard kingdom teleports are still "superior" to this new method in that the wizard kingdom group usually doesn't have to move to a Teleport Portal first, they can still recruit/summon before/after teleporting, and their wizards can still cast 799 prior to teleport because they can start from a PC location, and 3) groups can now "guard" and/or try and ambush groups at Teleport Portal locations since once known they are likely to become popular points to move to especially early in the game when few wizards can teleport more than brigade-sized groups.  Imagine the fun if 5 different kingdoms all had armies arrive at the same teleport portal on the same turn!  You could also make the Portals not activate/function until T5 (or T11) if they would be too disruptive that early in the game.

I really like the dynamic Ward PC spell idea! ! !

Allow a Ward PC spell (#130) to stay on the PC it was cast upon until such time that it activates by negating a Meteor Strike (or similar spell).  It's too much of a guessing game as to "where" the enemy's invisible group will appear and destroy your PC.  Level the playing field a bit by allowing the spell to be proactive.  You can cast it ahead of time on a PC and it just sits there until it is actually activated (perhaps a 20% chance each turn that it fades away?).  Each PC can only have one such Ward cast on it and once it negates the first Meteor Strike the protection is gone, so subsequent Meteor Strikes would get through until another 130 is cast on the PC again.  The PC owner should get a little note on their report that the PC is protected by a Ward PC spell.

Scrap the current Teleport Portal system (#726).  Instead replace it with the following (which I think will make the game far more exciting).
   Each region gets exactly one Teleport Portal randomly placed on the map when the game is created.  Teleport Portals are no longer linked/paired.  Instead, when a group "starts" its turn on a Teleport Portal it may issue the new 854 order and teleport to any other location in the game that is NOT a water square (the group would indicate its destination square in the 854 order). The group will arrive there at the end of the turn.  The group may NOT issue any 565 orders nor can any "Summon" spells be cast when issuing an 854 order.

This has several benefits:  1) the slow moving groups with no chance of ever getting to teleport groups (e.g., Dwarves, Halflings) now can do so by reaching the nearest portal; overcoming perhaps their greatest limitation on why they are not regularly chosen to play in Steel games, 2) Wizard kingdom teleports are still "superior" to this new method in that the wizard kingdom group usually doesn't have to move to a Teleport Portal first, they can still recruit/summon before/after teleporting, and their wizards can still cast 799 prior to teleport because they can start from a PC location, and 3) groups can now "guard" and/or try and ambush groups at Teleport Portal locations since once known they are likely to become popular points to move to especially early in the game when few wizards can teleport more than brigade-sized groups.  Imagine the fun if 5 different kingdoms all had armies arrive at the same teleport portal on the same turn!  You could also make the Portals not activate/function until T5 (or T11) if they would be too disruptive that early in the game.
I would rather see all the Teleport Spells disappear all together. I really like the idea of a portal in every region. I would replace teleport spells with an expansion of the speed spell so there is no limit to movement points, just add 2-3 points per caster level.

I would rather see all the Teleport Spells disappear all together. I really like the idea of a portal in every region. I would replace teleport spells with an expansion of the speed spell so there is no limit to movement points, just add 2-3 points per caster level.

(12-08-2017, 03:11 AM)Avantar Wrote: I would rather see all the Teleport Spells disappear all together. I really like the idea of a portal in every region. I would replace teleport spells with an expansion of the speed spell so there is no limit to movement points, just add 2-3 points per caster level.

I kind of like the teleport spells. As for the portals I like the idea but I'd rather they not be able to pop anywhere... Maybe restrict it from PC locations or something.

Another idea- What about linking multiple wizards together to cast certain spells? Wizard A would cast part 1, Wizard B would cast part 2... and X would happen.

What if we added some different kingdom customization skills in the beginning. Everyone takes the prov gov and point of influence. Can we add a possible 5th group for 3 points, another adept, a prince, random region pop center information like all villages just no control of which region gets chosen or high level companion brigade? Add a little more early strategy or randomness

How about a ward spell to prevent teleportation to a location. Make the group bounce back. Or how about a teleport tracer? If a group is within intercept range, you can cast a spell to "follow" the group if it teleports away.

I think I’ve identified an error in the Tyrant setup. Tyrant setup states that they get Dispel Dome earlier than prowess base but it’s still at level 5. Halfling is also a substandard prowess kingdom and they also have dispel dome at level 5.

Doesn’t this mean that Tyrant should have it at level 4? Seems pretty important for the effectiveness of the kingdom in the late game- and that is the intent.

If we use teleport portals, how about the possibility of a cursed portal that teleports the group to a random location?