Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dwarven
Post your advice for playing this kingdom in this thread.

Thank you for contributing to the collective wisdom on how to best play this kingdom in Alamaze!

The dwarves should have a fifth group. They should also get summon Rock Golems earlier that 7th level

R

Any advice on how to play the Dwarves? I'm trying them for the first time and wondering what I'm missing. They obviously aren't magical. They don't appear to be a rush military since they can't recruit strong companions until developing an elite brigade. It kind of feels like I'm supposed to just build defenses and wait for someone to attack me... and then hide in the mountains...

I used to believe the Dwarves were among the worst kingdoms, if not the worst, so I tried them. My opinion changed immediately!

1) Gold - so much gold! And good food production, too!

I suggest starting a pair of 600 standing orders - one for gold and the other for food - at the capital as soon as possible, even on turn one. These orders pay off for the DW quicker than most kingdoms (raising gold x 3 costs 6750 gold; the DW gets +3300 gold production from a single order). When you are comfortable, pair that with a Dwarven raise defense standing order, and you will quickly have a solid capital. Be sure to upgrade that town to a fortress, of course. If you start on turn one, then by turn five, your capital will produce an extra 16500 gold (for the cost of 33750 gold).

A word about ESO - the DW is one of the kingdoms where having the ESO requirement of a PC with 35k production or defense is fairly trivial.

Don't neglect setting up your gold mine. I didn't set mine up until turn five or six and was kicking myself. It may not seem like much at first glance, but an extra 20k gold per turn, unaffected by seasons, for the rest of the game is an excellent kingdom perk.

Depending on which region you began in, you should be looking at around 140k gold and 80k food production on turn five (less if in winter, of course). A lot of kingdoms would like to be in that spot on turn five.

2) Attack a few villages

You are correct; the requirement for elite troops bottlenecks the DW, so you must work toward your first elite brigade ASAP. The first step is getting veteran troops. Some can be had by regional selection - Zanthia, Mythgar, and others provide veteran troops. Also, I suggest considering using the customization order to upgrade a kingdom brigade. Beyond that, you will need to attack stuff!

Early in the game, it is typical to discover human/neutral villages in your area, which people typically take with emissaries. Use your military instead to promote leaders and possibly troops. You may want to do a pop search (order 725) with the 1DW in hopes of finding a village right away. About a 3:1 to 3.5:1 advantage seems to work for me, where the troops can take the village, get a little bloody, and also get a promotion. Depending on the setup, you should be able to find one or two villages to help advance your military. Don't worry about losses. If you stick to villages and have triple the defense value, you are very unlikely to lose a brigade. Attrition can be addressed later post Wildling recruitment.

3) Find a few encounters

If possible, use encounters to advance your leaders. The Dwarves have both the Adventurer and Heroic traits, making them adept at investigating encounters and getting promotions. Using the customization order to locate the fine encounter in your home region should be a consideration.

4) Plan for turn 10

Turn five, you will have a region and lots of production. Decide what you want your turn 10 to look like. Do you want several p-3 wizards? It's always good to have. Do you want a strong group of Dwarves, Wildlings, and War Machines? Do you want to recruit troops from pop centers and train them to get their bonuses (thinking Zamorans and Westmen here)? Do you want a collection of fortresses around your towns? Some mix of all of the above? Whatever it is, plan for it. Few people want to attack the DW early, so use that time to plan what you want your kingdom to look like when coming out of the early game and into the mid-game. You will get turn ten reinforcements plus, ideally, an ESO reward; plan for those resources. I'm sure you have at least one neighbor you will want to attack Smile

5) Combat

Some things to keep in mind when it comes to combat. Versus PCs the Dwarves are powerful, especially with veteran siege engines. Once the DW gets going he can smash PCs easily. Versus other groups, the DW has several advantages - immune to fear and chaos, immune to death magic and takes less damage from magic overall. If you have a warlord (and you should by the early teens), you are also immune to flanking attacks. Those are a lot of advantages. Keep those in mind when facing enemy groups.

6) Mithril

Don't neglect mithril. Mithril upgrades turn DW troops into monsters.

Hope this helps!

Great stuff, thank you!

Does the Magic Immune (Death) trait apply only to Dwarven brigades or does it include companion troops as well?

As I understand things it only applies to Dwarven kingdom brigades. They would be excluded from any death magic-based attack. That being said, I have not seen this in action yet.

(09-30-2024, 06:26 PM)davekuyk Wrote: As I understand things it only applies to Dwarven kingdom brigades. They would be excluded from any death magic-based attack. That being said, I have not seen this in action yet.

Magic Immune Death: Kingdom is completely immune to magical death effects. This consists of the kill leader/wizard spell, death spell, and the summon imp/demon/high demon spells.

This would apply to all troops and leaders and wizards. They could still be assassinated but not killed by magic.

From one of the programmer updates from 2022:

Summon Death does not target brigades immune to death magic such as undead and exempt from the spell such as flying brigades. Note: only flying brigades like Wyverns are checked, not groups with artifacts like Winged Pegasi due to the possible mixture of troop types. Brigades without immunity to death magic and with the lowest experience (green) are targeted first working up in experience as needed to eliminate the required number of brigades. If the opposing group is Army Group sized then +1 brigade is added to the total.

That would seem to suggest DW kingdom troops would not be affected by a summon death, but other troops would.

Has anyone actually seen this in action then? Wanted to know if I cast a Summon Death on an Ancient Ones army if it would work on his non Ancient Ones brigades.