Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Forums!
UPDATE: Looks like someone has now fixed that Forum Statistics link problem. It works, now.

Well, here's a humorous find. Under the Forum Statistics link, under the Board Statistics section, the following item caught my eye:

General
Members who have posted: 21,300%

Generally speaking, these statistics aren't ever going to be used. Most won't even know that they exist, nor will they be of interest to the vast majority of forum users. yet, just as a curiosity, how does the system arrive at twenty-one thousand and three hundred percent of forum members having posted? One could speculate that these figures take into account postings by some of those thousands of spam accounts that were deleted not so long ago. Yet, the absolute vast majority of those spam accounts never posted, to begin with, if memory serves me correctly. I'm not aware that there were ever twenty-three user accounts created on the MyBB software, all total. Anyone care to speculate?

Guys,

First let me say I'm sorry for the unexpected drop of the forum on you, and on top of that, I'm suddenly absent after it was installed.
Let me explain a little.
I worked with a development company to update the database and software, because during both mine and Maximus' attempts at trying to upgrade (who I want to thank for his help on this issue) old database issues and old software caused it to need experts.
While working with them we took multiple backups so no data would be lost. The day the forum was upgraded I was working with the developers and they were showing me around the new site they had created on their server I made a comment it looked good, which they took to mean install it. And here we are, so I apologize.
That said it seems many don't like the look of the forum, so here is my proposal. I will bring forward 4 different "templates", and the community by the majority can vote on the new base template. From there we will pick a new forum template and move forward. The beauty of the upgrade is it's easy to make new changes. Understand this will still take some work to make it work for everyone.
Now this is going to have to wait until likely Tuesday, as this week was my son's graduation and the reason I have been absent from the forums.

Again guys sorry for the mess but I will fix it.

John

It's looking better, I changed to the colors I prefer.

(06-06-2023, 12:41 AM)RELLGAR Wrote: It's looking better, I changed to the colors I prefer.

I looked to see which theme that you chose to go with, and you chose the default theme.

For me, the primary problems with the RoundoDarko theme (which is actually only a temporary or test theme to gauge feedback) is that it is a substantially less functional theme. For instance, when I view the Member List, options that I previously had are eliminated. From time to time, I View the member List in different ways. It aids me with detecting possible spam accounts (to see who the most recent Registrations are). It also lets me see who the most recent visitors to the forum is (which helps me to gauge whether activity on the forum is increasing or decreasing).

And on the left hand side of the index.php, which I often refer to as the Forum Index page, what used to be present in the middle of the page has now been shifted over to the left hand side, and placed under the title of Categories. Thus resulted in no net increase of functionality or usability, and only added to the Confusion Index that naturally rises, anytime a perceived dramatic change is implemented.

Set the colors and looks (aesthetics) aside, and what were the Net Benefits that the RoundoDark them added? In essence, what was gained? A new color scheme could have been implemented without moving where the links were located that forum users were accustomed to. I'm not opposed to change, per se, as we can either be agents of change or victims of change, but what is gained versus what is lost, in the process of implementing change?

Having just one theme for the forum likely translates into it being easier to track down theme-related problems that arise, from time to time. However, it may well be that having more than one theme will translate into a more user-friendly approach, since not everyone is likely to like the same thing - and especially where aesthetics are concerned.

On the RoundoDarko theme, where are the links to Join A Game and to View Games Forming? To me, those are crucial links, yet where are they? Certainly, they can be added, but when implementing change, at least some of the confusion which change tends to bring can be successfully averted. beforehand. This tends to take time, effort, and thought prior to implementation and execution.

How do you please everybody? You don't. The more important consideration, perhaps, is how do you avoid alienating people unnecessarily? At least part of that can of alienation can be remedied upfront.

Why the creators of the RoundoDarko theme basically converted the index.php page into a quasi-portal, instead of just using the included portal.php page, is beyond me. What were the net gains for doing so? From my perspective, more was lost than was gained. I'm still; trying to figure out what, exactly and specifically, was gained? What does the RoundoDarko index.php page offer that the portal-php page offers?

The name RoundoDarko is basically a play upon rounded corners and dark colors. These considerations do not address issues of functionality or lack thereof. So, again, what as the net gain? From my perspective, there wasn't any actual net gain in terms of functionality or usability for the end user. Yes, it looks different. Beyond how it looks different, what do the end users of the forum now gain from the switch to it? If you don't have an answer to that question, then that, in and of itself, is the wrong answer.

Trying to update multiple different themes going forward, can be a bit of a pain in the ass. So, too, can trying to adjust to a theme that your eyes and your perception just don't like. As a general rule of thumb, I think that giving users options is better than not giving them options.

Just my off-the-cuff opinion of the moment.

Note how my use of instances of bold in some of the text in the last message that I posted don't really tend to stand out all that much, visually. This is due to two things, primarily - text color and contrast.

Light gray on top of a darker gray background automatically yields a reduction of visual contrast compared to, say, white text atop a black background.

Additional forums upgrades coming over the next few weeks. We will move to a more neutral color/familiar board for users.
Some users were experiencing issues with the emerald theme and others disliked the darker colors because it was hard to read. This will be a simple template change that may add more functionality and also be reactive so it adapts to mobile apps and tablets. It will not be perfect but will provide a platform for adding some additional functionality.
You have the option to choose either the darker theme or the new them your choice, simply make the selection at the bottom right or left of the forums depending on the theme you currently have installed.

John