Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice from a new player
No, that's not a typo.  I didn't mean to enter "Advice for a new player" into the subject line.

This is going to be a bit of advice _from_ a new player.

Well, new isn't exactly correct.  I played fall of rome 10+ years ago.

Anyway, to the point: I am very interested in Alamaze, but had a devil of a time figuring out the logistics of getting started.  Trying to find the "good stuff" is like going through a hoarders stash that has had a family intervention and is staging a garage sale.

There is junk from the past 20 years everywhere.  4 different domains (fallofromegame, kingdomofarcania.net, alamaze.co, www.abanak.com, more?), different versions of manuals flying around, dead links everywhere.  It makes navigation impenetrable and will absolutely scare away potential players who are not used to flying through the rubble like anakin skywalker in a podracer.

Sorry if this comes across as a bit tough, the game looks super cool and I hope to be able to join a sesh, but wanted to relay this advice.  Because I think at the core, the current forum, manual, and order entry system are pretty polished.  

Let them shine ! 

Asty

I agree, hopefully these things can be corrected. This is an awesome gaming experience.

(06-13-2023, 11:31 AM)astyreal Wrote: No, that's not a typo.  I didn't mean to enter "Advice for a new player" into the subject line.

Anyway, to the point: I am very interested in Alamaze, but had a devil of a time figuring out the logistics of getting started.  Trying to find the "good stuff" is like going through a hoarders stash that has had a family intervention and is staging a garage sale.

There is junk from the past 20 years everywhere.  4 different domains (fallofromegame, kingdomofarcania.net, alamaze.co, www.abanak.com, more?), different versions of manuals flying around, dead links everywhere.  It makes navigation impenetrable and will absolutely scare away potential players who are not used to flying through the rubble like anakin skywalker in a podracer.

Sorry if this comes across as a bit tough, the game looks super cool and I hope to be able to join a sesh, but wanted to relay this advice.  Because I think at the core, the current forum, manual, and order entry system are pretty polished.  

Let them shine ! 

Asty

The new owner is aware of these issues. It will take a bit of time to get them all squared away, as there are a variety of problems/issues/suggestions that are awaiting their turn in line for getting to.

These lamentations are all worthy of being pointed out by you. I think your criticisms are right on the mark.

(06-13-2023, 11:31 AM)astyreal Wrote: No, that's not a typo.  I didn't mean to enter "Advice for a new player" into the subject line.

Let them shine ! 

Asty

Your criticism is well-taken, and I agree with your frustration.  I am working to pull things together give me another month or 2 and we will be in a better place.  For now give a game a go, its free while I'm working on just the changes your mentioning.

Brek

(06-13-2023, 11:31 AM)astyreal Wrote: Anyway, to the point: I am very interested in Alamaze, but had a devil of a time figuring out the logistics of getting started.  Trying to find the "good stuff" is like going through a hoarders stash that has had a family intervention and is staging a garage sale.

These sentiments still ring loudly of truth. My own criticisms may seem harsh, at times, but the criticisms of others, and not just astyreal (who joined the Alamaze forum on 06-12-2023, and last visited here on 06-22-2023).

The core essence of what astyreal preaches in his words above is confusion. Of course, the source of confusion is not singular in nature, but plural. Thus, at a bare minimum, there is not one thing to fix, but several or many (for such is the inherent nature of plural).

The K.I.S.S. principle comes immediately to mind - Keep It Simple, Stupid!

On its face, that sounds simple enough, right? Just simplify things. Clear out the confusion. Take a bush hog to it, if necessary. Just do it, and be done with it, already! Right?

Well, on paper, it really is that simple. In actual reality, though, when you go to actually set about doing just, exactly that, it isn't always obvious what all should be done, and to what extent.

Ultimately, there are almost always competing priorities in the real world that we all live in. To eliminate or reduce confusion, though, one might be best served to think in terms of lowest common denominators.

If it is true that Alamaze's navigation is impenetrable (and I think that it is, in agreement with what astyreal said), and that this will absolutely scare away potential players (which I also agree is true), then it is worth pondering what - exactly and specifically - Alamaze's navigation is.

To navigate Alamaze includes, but is not limited to:
1. Navigating the game that is Alamaze, itself.
2. Navigating the Alamaze forum.
3. Navigating the Alamaze rulebook.
4. Navigating any and all Alamaze charts and other aids.

So, it isn't as though one can actually reduce the navigation problem to just one specific thing. Consequently, fixing the impenetrable navigation in one of these areas doesn't mean that fixing the navigation shortcomings in the other areas automatically resolve themselves.

Alamaze, by its very nature, is a game built atop complexity. It is not a simple game, nor is it a game that lends itself well to reduction of complexity. But astyreal's lamentation was focused upon navigation, not the fact that Alamaze is a complex game, in and of itself.

He specifically mentioned:
1. 4 different domains.
2. Different versions of manuals flying around.
3. Dead links everywhere.

In reduced form, his complaints about navigation gravitates around one thing - hyperlinks. The 4 domains are links. The dead links are links that don't work. And the different versions of manuals flying around are accessed via links.

The links of which astyreal complains are not in-game links. Rather, they are links fond on the Alamaze forum, specifically, or on the Alamaze website, generally.

Generally speaking, I think that it tends to be a good idea to provide people with choices. But where the forum and website are concerned, the offering of multiple themes for forum users to choose from automatically complicates the situation, where forum links are concerned, if the link locations and offerings vary from theme to theme. A choice of colors in themes aren't an inherent additional layer of complexity, and hence, confusion, per se. Rather, which links are present, and where each link is located on the various forum theme choices, do hold considerable potential for generating an increase in confusion.

So, as a starting point (even if it's already been done before), I would offer up as a good starting point would be to decide upon one forum theme, and work our way out from there. Granted, not everyone likes the same thing, which is normal in life, but confusion is confusion, and the only real way to eliminate it is to eliminate it. Why reduce confusion, when you can eliminate it, entirely? Or said another way, one forum theme would help get everyone on the same page.

Transitioning to just one forum theme, though, only moves us closer to the real work. The fewer links to navigate, the easier and the less confusing. But the hard reality is that more than just two or three links are needed, to effectively navigate the forum.

On the forum theme that I am currently using (Duende v3), the list of navigation links present at the very top of the forum include (when I am logged in):

[*]Home
[*]Portal
[*]Search
[*]Members
[*]Latest Threads
[*]Threads from Today
[*]Rule Book
[*]Order Entry

Thus, seven different links, and yet, some links that are actually needed to better facilitate understanding (and hence, reduce confusion for the forum user or visitor) are still not there.

One way to help reduce or eliminate confusion, while simultaneously maintaining a large link offering, is by instilling a greater sense of organization into what is presented. Bear witt me, if you will, as I explain.

Some links that are needed to make it easier for newcomers to understand what is what are forum-specific links. Some examples include:
1. Home/Home age/Forum Index
2. Search

A link to the 4th Cycle Rulebook is imperative. The rulebook isn't forum-specific, but rather, it is game-specific. Newcomers need quick and easy and highly visible access to the rulebook for the game. Links to charts and player aids are nor forum-specific links, either. They, too, are game-specific links.

Other links needed by newcomers are links to register. Registering for the forum is forum-specific. Registering to create an Alamaze player account is not forum-specific, but game specific. Having two different links to register (one for the forum and one to create a player account) complicates the process for newcomers. Of course, in fairness, simplifying actual processes isn't always quick, easy, or free. Paying someone with expertise to combine the two different registration processes requires paying someone to fix that particular level of complexity and confusion. If it doesn't work smoothly or ir plagued by problems, then that, too, could alienate newcomers, and/or potentially compromise the security of the forum or the game server, or both.

It is notable that the current forum link structure does not even include a handy, dandy link for newcomers to see which games of Alamaze are currently forming. It also does not include a handy, dandy link to the Help Guides (charts and player aids). There also is no handy, dandy link for newcomers to create player accounts. None of these crucial links are forum-specific links.

Until and unless the navigation link shortcomings are resolved, trying to simplify things further for newcomers is largely a pointless exercise in futility.