Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player Aids
So, any thoughts on the new Player Aids? In case you missed my forum post in the Programmer's section, here's the link:

http://fallofromegame.com/alamazeorders/...eaids.html

[you may have to press your browser refresh button to load the page if you're experiencing server lag]

I tried to make the new online Player Aids easy to use with a clean interface. They should help both new and former players with the 4th Cycle Maelstrom game.

I also tried to be as detailed as possible. For example, on the Agent page, select the Sleep spell and scroll down to the Bribe section. You should see that the Consuls and Demon Princes are the only subjects that are possible to bribe (since they are immune to being slept). Also, some newcomers may have thought that sleeping an emissary may make the bribe easier, but you don't get any information if the target is sleeping! That little detail could help some players in the game of otherwise making a mistake.

Also, some agent missions don't check for any kind of protection (guards, counter-espionage, ward spell, buildings or fortifications that provide inherit counter-espionage) to reduce the chances of success, which is why some tables on the page are not affected when you specify a guard, or a spell like ward, or building/fortification that provides counter-espionage.

Also, since the Guard mission only applies to figures (like kidnapping a Baron), if you specify a guard but not counter-espionage, certain percentage rates may not change depending upon the target type (figure to assassinate, building to steal gold, or seapower to reduce fleets, etc.). Counter-espionage missions are more comprehensive in providing protection, but do so at a lower rate than Guard.

I also tried to include some obscure Alamaze factors as well. Such as on the Agent page again, Reconnaissance is automatic after turn 4 (no die roll for success/failure) for some agent missions, but only if the target does not have any counter-espionage active (e.g., building, dire wolf spell, another agent). Even I didn't remember some of these factors until I dug through the code making sure that I covered everything. The other pages are as detailed-oriented as well, not just the Agent page mentioned here.

So, let us know your thoughts...

(08-26-2023, 10:00 PM)unclemike Wrote: So, any thoughts on the new Player Aids? In case you missed my forum post in the Programmer's section, here's the link:

http://fallofromegame.com/alamazeorders/...eaids.html

[you may have to press your browser refresh button to load the page if you're experiencing server lag]

I tried to make the new online Player Aids easy to use with a clean interface. They should help both new and former players with the 4th Cycle Maelstrom game.

I also tried to be as detailed as possible. For example, on the Agent page, select the Sleep spell and scroll down to the Bribe section. You should see that the Consuls and Demon Princes are the only subjects that are possible to bribe (since they are immune to being slept). Also, some newcomers may have thought that sleeping an emissary may make the bribe easier, but you don't get any information if the target is sleeping! That little detail could help some players in the game of otherwise making a mistake.

Also, some agent missions don't check for any kind of protection (guards, counter-espionage, ward spell, buildings or fortifications that provide inherit counter-espionage) to reduce the chances of success, which is why some tables on the page are not affected when you specify a guard, or a spell like ward, or building/fortification that provides counter-espionage.

Also, since the Guard mission only applies to figures (like kidnapping a Baron), if you specify a guard but not counter-espionage, certain percentage rates may not change depending upon the target type (figure to assassinate, building to steal gold, or seapower to reduce fleets, etc.). Counter-espionage missions are more comprehensive in providing protection, but do so at a lower rate than Guard.

I also tried to include some obscure Alamaze factors as well. Such as on the Agent page again, Reconnaissance is automatic after turn 4 (no die roll for success/failure) for some agent missions, but only if the target does not have any counter-espionage active (e.g., building, dire wolf spell, another agent). Even I didn't remember some of these factors until I dug through the code making sure that I covered everything. The other pages are as detailed-oriented as well, not just the Agent page mentioned here.

That was some very nice work Mike.  I did try to reply where you first posted it but was not allowed.

Great work as always.

Great work Mike!
Wookie, Mikes's area is locked to keep his information on how things actually work clear of speculation conversations that happen in other forums.

(08-26-2023, 10:00 PM)unclemike Wrote: So, any thoughts on the new Player Aids? In case you missed my forum post in the Programmer's section, here's the link:

I PM'd you a few days ago, and declared them to be "excellent work." I'll take this opportunity to expound a bit on these new player aids, here.

1. They constitute progress in pursuit of moving towards a better Alamaze.

2. They're very clean looking. By being clean looking, they cut down on the potential for confusion. If they were very cluttered looking, newcomers to Alamaze could potentially run into more confusion - and confusion tends to be a counter-productive force in game design, attraction of newcomers to the player base, and player retention.

3. The creation and release-for-use by players of new player aids sends the message that Alamaze is alive, that Alamaze is seeking to improve itself, and that Alamaze is more worthy of being taken seriously as a viable choice for gamers.

4. A small collection of other, older player aids of Alamaze were dated. The new player aids in question, here, resolve various headaches that had come about over time, where these older player aids are concerned. Lord Frost, I think it is, is nowhere to be found, anymore. Thus, he won't likely be providing newer, updated versions of a player aid that he created. Alamaze has progressed in its design over the years, and new player aids to assist players in playing the game matter. Thus, your new player aids are relevant - relevant to the current players, and relevant to any future newcomers to the game.

5. They demonstrate commitment - namely, a commitment by yourself, the long-serving Chief Programmer of Alamaze. And not just commitment, but ongoing commitment, extending the line of your commitment from way back when to the current day - and hopefully, on into the future of Alamaze, as well. The Alamaze of today, the Alamaze that exists now, the Alamaze that I have begun to play and to have fun with, is your handiwork. Yes, to a large degree, it's Rick McDowell's design, but a design is basically an idea. The original Alamaze, Cycle 1 I guess it was, was assuredly Rick McDowell's handiwork and baby. This 4th Cycle Alamaze, though, this is YOUR baby. I am not oblivious to such. Not should others be oblivious to such. Your long-term commitment to improving Alamaze is worthy of commending and saluting!

6. On the Emissary Actions player aid, one point of possible confusion for newcomers is the influence boxes at the bottom. The top influence box specifically says "your King's influence value," or king's influence for short. The bottom influence boxes, however, only say Influence." I don't assume that newcomers will just automatically understand. If they type in their king's influence at the top, why do they have to type it in, again? And do the characters aside from the king have influence all their own? Emissaries have Power, is that what those boxes at the bottom are asking for? I asked that, myself, when I first saw the new player aids, so is that capable of replication by other players? Certainly, it is.

Just glancing at the Emissary Actions player aid, there's certainly sufficient width left at the bottom, to accommodate adding the word king's to influence at the bottom. Also, you might want to consider adding a check box beside the King's Influence box at the top, which if checked, would automatically populate the bottom influence boxes with the same king's influence number as the one that the player types in at the top. If left unchecked, the bottom influence boxes would remain as they currently are - which I assume is in case characters of other kingdoms (such as an ally or allies that one is working with in the game, or even enemies obstructing the same kingdom at the same time) are being taken into account, also, where certain of their emissary actions are concerned.

7. Progress isn't always quick or easy in coming, but when it does happen, it's just a really nice feeling. These new player aids are really nice feeling.

Maximus, the bottom section on the Emissary page is to fill out estimated Status Quo and Stir Unrest values at the given popcenter. Any kingdom may issue such orders to help/hinder your attempt at rebelling/usurping, so those fields are not just for your own kingdom.

A recon of the popcenter beforehand (by agent, raven familiar, palantir, etc.) will notify you of anyone there (unless they are magically hidden with the conceal emissary spell). Then try to estimate that kingdom's values of their ruler's influence and regional reaction.

For example, if after a recon of the popcenter, you notice the owner has an Ambassador sitting there. If you think the owner will issue a Status Quo to discourage your attempts, then fill in the appropriate section to get a better estimate on your attempt.

If you want better accuracy, then you will need to issue the appropriate commands beforehand. To find out another ruler's influence (use order #914), for their regional reactions (use order #913), cast spell #370 to learn of the opposing kingdom's level of regional control (or regional influence), which has the possible values of tight control/control/substantial/significant/minor/unestablished.

If you're too much in a hurry for that popcenter, then try your best guess at those values to estimate your chances of success. Then again, you may always try to kidnap/assassinate the enemy figure the turn beforehand, and not worry about it...

(08-27-2023, 05:32 PM)unclemike Wrote: Maximus, the bottom section on the Emissary page is to fill out estimated Status Quo and Stir Unrest values at the given popcenter. Any kingdom may issue such orders to help/hinder your attempt at rebelling/usurping, so those fields are not just for your own kingdom.

A recon of the popcenter beforehand (by agent, raven familiar, palantir, etc.) will notify you of anyone there (unless they are magically hidden with the conceal emissary spell). Then try to estimate that kingdom's values of their ruler's influence and regional reaction.

For example, if after a recon of the popcenter, you notice the owner has an Ambassador sitting there. If you think the owner will issue a Status Quo to discourage your attempts, then fill in the appropriate section to get a better estimate on your attempt.

If you want better accuracy, then you will need to issue the appropriate commands beforehand. To find out another ruler's influence (use order #914), for their regional reactions (use order #913), cast spell #370 to learn of the opposing kingdom's level of regional control (or regional influence), which has the possible values of tight control/control/substantial/significant/minor/unestablished.

If you're too much in a hurry for that popcenter, then try your best guess at those values to estimate your chances of success. Then again, you may always try to kidnap/assassinate the enemy figure the turn beforehand, and not worry about it...

Understood. Thanks!