Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to kill an Ancient One Consul
I tried to kill an AN consul. My agent was good enough to be successful, and I had a magical dagger, but it didn't kill the consul.

This makes no sense. I shouldn't need to have a military weapon to kill, especially when I already have a dagger. Granted, it was a demon dagger, but it should work. I am frustrated with this.

(06-27-2024, 09:00 PM)Windstar3 Wrote: I tried to kill an AN consul. My agent was good enough to be successful, and I had a magical dagger, but it didn't kill the consul.

This makes no sense. I shouldn't need to have a military weapon to kill, especially when I already have a dagger. Granted, it was a demon dagger, but it should work. I am frustrated with this.

W.

I agree 100% if you have a covert artifact that should be enough.

R

(06-27-2024, 09:03 PM)Ruingurth Wrote:
(06-27-2024, 09:00 PM)Windstar3 Wrote: I tried to kill an AN consul. My agent was good enough to be successful, and I had a magical dagger, but it didn't kill the consul.

W.

I agree 100% if you have a covert artifact that should be enough.

R

I have not been active in some time so may have missed some changes but maybe Ancient immortality comes into play?

These were the changes listed below. Did you meet all the requirements? Also send me game/turn/kingdoms involved and I will look at it as well.

9) Changes to the Immortal state of a ruler:
An agent with a weapon-classed artifact that successfully assassinates an Immortal will kill the Immortal. This will be similar to how an agent with a weapon-classed artifact can kill an immortal lich/wraith/nazgul figure. If the agent’s assassination attempt is successful against the Immortal, there is a 50% chance that the artifact is destroyed in the process.
The escape order for an Immortal hostage is no longer automatic, but has a +50% chance of success.
The +2 bonus to wizard development is removed for all Immortal kingdoms

Windstar,

As Brek shows, the changes in assassinating Immortals has been documented.    However, it also reduces Covert artifacts from trivial to pretty much useless.

Most Covert artifacts are Palantir or Alter types but there are five agent based artifacts.   Three Fine arties give an agent 10% bonus to assassinations and 30% to Demon Princes or Consuls.    But, the 10% bonus only applies to emissaries which are 10% easier to kidnap anyway so no real bonus there, and the 30% against Princes and Consoles is useless unless you accompany it with a weapon.

Clearly these artifacts need to be reworked in order to keep up with the changes in the game.   I would recommend stand alone Immortal Killers that need no weapon artifact.   Let Covert handle the assassinations.

There are two excellent level artifacts as well.   One grants an agent 4 levels which I would change to a flat +20% bonus to all rolls and -20% to fail rolls.  This way the agent can continue to train if need be while holding that artifact.  And allow this artifact's wielder to kill Immortals.

And lastly the Ruler Killer which is also Excellent level.   This gives 10% to all assassinations (again, not very helpful)  and 20% to assassinations against kings.   This should probably be bumped higher because this artifact was from the days before buildings and fortifications and now the king has so much Counter Espionage on him that the 20% bonus (really 10%  because kidnapping would be easier) is really not much help giving the added protections kings now have.  And it would need to grant Immortal slaying.   

It's worth saying that Immortal Slaying would be general.   Not just Demons and Consuls and Reds but new Immortals and Wraiths and Liches and such as well.

Lastly, its worth noting that there are no Superior or Quest level agent artifacts.  Something to consider if we are looking at updating Covert Artifacts which, given the changes in the game, are probably necessary.

I'll look into this. I can't change it now, but I'm working on a list to add to a new update. I agree that the number of "immortal slayers" needs to increase.

(06-30-2024, 10:37 PM)Brekk Wrote: I'll look into this. I can't change it now, but I'm working on a list to add to a new update. I agree that the number of "immortal slayers" needs to increase.

Rather than continue to further water down immortals, why not just eliminate them from the game, altogether?

I don't see it this way, I believe Immortal status is very interesting from both a gameplay and a lore standpoint. All that is needed is for the rules to be shored up. If those covert artifacts mentioned above were updated to include the ability to kill an immortal, we would be fine. One could argue that if those covert artifacts could kill immortals we would not need the weapon artifacts to provide that ability.

(07-01-2024, 06:12 PM)davekuyk Wrote: I don't see it this way, I believe Immortal status is very interesting from both a gameplay and a lore standpoint. All that is needed is for the rules to be shored up. If those covert artifacts mentioned above were updated to include the ability to kill an immortal, we would be fine. One could argue that if those covert artifacts could kill immortals we would not need the weapon artifacts to provide that ability.

That’s what I was thinking too, maybe the only way is to grab the covert item a weapon artifact can’t do it, you could also add another one or two to the randomized list