Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stirring the Cauldron for 4th Scenario
Just to clarify, are 3rd and 4th scenarios going to be Kingdoms of Arcania? Or are we folding the KoA stuff into Alamaze development and keeping the Alamaze name going forward?

Will we be sticking to a version of the Alamaze map or will be be moving to a new KoA map? (I've seen one floating around)

(09-26-2014, 01:24 AM)Jumbie Wrote: Just to clarify, are 3rd and 4th scenarios going to be Kingdoms of Arcania? Or are we folding the KoA stuff into Alamaze development and keeping the Alamaze name going forward?

Will we be sticking to a version of the Alamaze map or will be be moving to a new KoA map? (I've seen one floating around)

The KoA map is beautiful. I hope we get to play on it someday.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

So what is this?

http://kingdomsofarcania.com/default.asp
I played when it cost .22 cents to mail my turn to NC.
Avid forum reader, I have read it all.

(09-26-2014, 02:35 AM)The Broken Wrote: So what is this?

That was the map created for Kingdoms of Arcania. It was intended to be the fantasy successor to Fall of Rome. I think of it as 'Alamaze Online'. It has a hex grid and would be perfect, imo, for a future Alamaze.

We spent years on that dream, but the programming hit a lot of snags. Eventually, it was put aside in favor of reviving Alamaze.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

(09-26-2014, 03:41 PM)Lord Diamond Wrote:
(09-26-2014, 02:35 AM)The Broken Wrote: So what is this?

That was the map created for Kingdoms of Arcania. It was intended to be the fantasy successor to Fall of Rome. I think of it as 'Alamaze Online'. It has a hex grid and would be perfect, imo, for a future Alamaze.

We spent years on that dream, but the programming hit a lot of snags. Eventually, it was put aside in favor of reviving Alamaze.

Thank you very much! It looks like there is great material there, I hope some of it makes into this next 3rd cycle.
I played when it cost .22 cents to mail my turn to NC.
Avid forum reader, I have read it all.

The changes in Scenario 4 will be the ones that were delayed from the current batch going into production, as The Traditionalists may not like them and want to play Alamaze now as Alamaze was, generally speaking. So once the last batch of changes are in place, that will be the remaining, unchanging, Alamaze Classic. It (4th Scenario) is the final tease from 2nd Cycle leading to 3rd Cycle. This will have the 565's, spell changes, artifact changes, and maybe 3-5 kingdom changes, and of course some other stuff. This is the bridge to 3rd Cycle, which in itself is the bridge to Kingdoms of Arcania.

So, not to get too far ahead as things haven't always worked out as intended, although I am quite pleased with what Cipher and Uncle Mike have done recently:
1. Remaining 2nd Cycle Changes as updated by Cipher on the forum. There are still a couple cool things to come like the Black Dragons having the ability to recruit Phoenix from The Fire of the Void.
2. Then 4th Scenario which will be on the same Resurgent map, but have the 565's and some kingdom changes, artifact changes, spell changes, and a few new orders like Incite Rebellion and Diversion, and Advanced Recon. We may have more of the special sectional recruits like is being introduced with the Phoenix at The Fire of the Void.
3. Next is 3rd Cycle which will still be Alamaze, but on a new map, with quite a few kingdom changes, more new orders, more tactics, and perhaps a rework of the magic system, but that that may wait for;
4. Kingdoms of Arcania. Somehow this has turned into a lifetime's work. Look for a big hexagonal map, with lots of new tactics, kingdoms, more intrigue, a solution to some of the alliance problems (yes, I have ideas on that). I will hope the foremost cartographer, Ralph to you, will make some changes to the Arda map. As you may see, this map introduces provinces as a subdivision of regions, for one. Provinces are intended to be distinct in themselves. Lots more stuff to reveal as that time gets closer.

For now, we have seen great progress I believe on all fronts, from the appearance of turns and rules, to sensible in-game changes, to a great new order entry and order checking system, the new Resurgent map, the low turn fees, the forum, the online support, etc, etc.

Tell your friends that PBEM has been revitalized in Alamaze. We started five games last week. That is more than most games have started in five years.

All sounds awesome. One thing I would love to see is the possibility of doing a game very quickly. One of the great things about one of the greatest games of all time: Diplomacy - is that you could finish it in an afternoon. I always daydreamed of having a day of Alamaze, all 15 lords in a room and there are 15-30 minutes sprints of diplomacy before a 5 minute order entry time frame and then results are immediately given out. Time starts over. I think it would be wonderful fun.

Obviously that isn't going to work but with the online order input perhaps we could try a 48 hour turn around game (or even 24 hours!). 48 would be minimum with diplomacy allowed, but an anonymous game could certainly have 24 hour turnarounds.

Charge extra, whatever. I just think it would add a dimension to have a Alamaze on Steroids contest.

Otherwise here are some more inputs on 4th scenario and 3rd cycle. Much of these are from Fall of Rome that are just no-brainers that could be added:

- 565 all of those human types of troops you had and are available for all kingdoms. Instead of just "recruits" and "veterans" you have the numidian cavalry, spartan infantry, catapults, archers, heavy cav etc... that are very specialized and have different movement capabilities and defense/offense categories
- Along with this is a total - or almost total reworking of the battle system. There should be much more tactics like in FOR and some natural trumps. I.e. Defender gets outflanked by speedier cavalry based force and is annihilated or takes much more damage. Thinking 10 tactics or more for defense and offense, and some specialized ones for kingdoms. I see you starting this with the Elf, DA and DW rules for retreat and the new entrenchment.
- Ability for pop centers to station leaders and wizards, this is something that is badly needed and adds a dimension to the new 170/171 rules in defense (i.e. a controlled center with a warlord stationed there can NEVER be parlayed or 171'd) etc..

None of this is new and I absolutely trust Rick to get the right changes in at the right time but just adding input.

Thanks for the great work and look forward to all of the above and more.

(09-26-2014, 09:25 PM)Acererak Wrote: All sounds awesome. One thing I would love to see is the possibility of doing a game very quickly. One of the great things about one of the greatest games of all time: Diplomacy - is that you could finish it in an afternoon. I always daydreamed of having a day of Alamaze, all 15 lords in a room and there are 15-30 minutes sprints of diplomacy before a 5 minute order entry time frame and then results are immediately given out. Time starts over. I think it would be wonderful fun.

Obviously that isn't going to work but with the online order input perhaps we could try a 48 hour turn around game (or even 24 hours!). 48 would be minimum with diplomacy allowed, but an anonymous game could certainly have 24 hour turnarounds.

Charge extra, whatever. I just think it would add a dimension to have a Alamaze on Steroids contest.

We actually had that in Fall of Rome. A turn would process whenever all players had submitted turns.

I still think these games, like Diplomacy, are diplomatic games. Yes, it sucks to be the victim of a 3 v 1, but we can work on that a bit. I'd almost entertain the idea of diplomatic advantages, such as you cannot attack a kingdom without some prerequisites, maybe declaring enemy or having a causus belli. Or you can have a sneak attack with serious influence penalties.

(09-26-2014, 09:54 PM)Ry Vor Wrote:
(09-26-2014, 09:25 PM)Acererak Wrote: All sounds awesome. One thing I would love to see is the possibility of doing a game very quickly. One of the great things about one of the greatest games of all time: Diplomacy - is that you could finish it in an afternoon. I always daydreamed of having a day of Alamaze, all 15 lords in a room and there are 15-30 minutes sprints of diplomacy before a 5 minute order entry time frame and then results are immediately given out. Time starts over. I think it would be wonderful fun.

We actually had that in Fall of Rome. A turn would process whenever all players had submitted turns.

I still think these games, like Diplomacy, are diplomatic games. Yes, it sucks to be the victim of a 3 v 1, but we can work on that a bit. I'd almost entertain the idea of diplomatic advantages, such as you cannot attack a kingdom without some prerequisites, maybe declaring enemy or having a causus belli. Or you can have a sneak attack with serious influence penalties.

Ooooo, a causus belli. I like how you think. Then Diplomacy becomes a manipulative positioning game to get the other guy to make a mistake, thus giving you the righteous excuse to attack and take what is his. How wonderfully cynically realistic! The code for that would be interesting, though. How about a diplomatic gaffe counter or a population atrocity counter (or both)? You could have a continuum of causus belli wherein you can attack someone who only has some black marks and that would give you some black mark in return (compared to no black marks for attacking a complete blackguard, for instance).....It could also become a measure used for extra game quests.........Just thinking out loud here....pay no mind if it doesn't fit the vision (or is just not codeable).