Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unusual Sightings Math
So I saw this post on the site elsewhere and thought I would ask:

"manaleshi Wrote:
So I am looking at an "excellent difficulty" unusual sighting. I don't see excellent on the game 300 comments... there is an "extreme"? I think I can run 109 points at it with my wizards casting #101... I think up to 185 if they #139"

It was the reference to points and the idea of a potentially acceptable range of them based on the level of difficulty of the US that caught my eye. I don't recall seeing a formula or set of ranges for US's. Would someone be able to point me towards something? I recognize US math may recently have changed, but just looking for the basic knowledge, even if it is old.

Thanks,

Taltos

(05-24-2015, 02:20 AM)Taltos Wrote: So I saw this post on the site elsewhere and thought I would ask:

"manaleshi Wrote:  
So I am looking at an "excellent difficulty" unusual sighting. I don't see excellent on the game 300 comments... there is an "extreme"? I think I can run 109 points at it with my wizards casting #101... I think up to 185 if they #139"

It was the reference to points and the idea of a potentially acceptable range of them based on the level of difficulty of the US that caught my eye.  I don't recall seeing a formula or set of ranges for US's.  Would someone be able to point me towards something?  I recognize US math may recently have changed, but just looking for the basic knowledge, even if it is old.

Thanks,

Taltos

Check out the last post in both of these threads.  Maybe they will help clear up some of your questions.

Uncle Mike's Corner:
http://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/showt...769&page=2

Message from Ry Vor:
http://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/showt...864&page=2

The Frost Lord,
Centurion in the Military War College
Pioneer of Alamaze

Here's another, but it has a little less detail.

http://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/showt...p?tid=9886
The Frost Lord,
Pioneer of Alamaze

(05-24-2015, 03:11 AM)Frost Lord Wrote: Check out the last post in both of these threads.  Maybe they will help clear up some of your questions.

Uncle Mike's Corner:
http://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/showt...769&page=2

Message from Ry Vor:
http://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/showt...864&page=2

Thanks, how does one determine one's own points with respect to the patrol going into the encounter? The original post I copied suggested the poster knew exactly how many points he had going into an encounter.

I think that he is guessing on those numbers. There is no documentation that I am aware of that breaks the patrol strength down into base numbers. I cannot imagine that this person is able to calculate it with any kind of precise accuracy (very good guessing by trial and error, maybe...), but not precise calculations. He is on the right track though when he insinuates that it would be higher with a #139, because a #101 reduces the wizard's power by 50%.

The Frost Lord,
Pioneer of Alamaze

This has nothing to do US Math, but a US encounter. In a current game I'm in, I mistakenly dispatched the wrong group to an US. After realizing it, I decided it would be iffy to get it, but I tried. Lost the leader and didn't get it. However, I didn't move my group. My report did not show the US still being there. Can I assume that there was an invisible group there that went in after me?

That would be a good guess. also could have been an agent stealing it. Likely a better question for support if you were in an anon game

I have done many failed encounters they stay if not completed

Well, we have that Frost Lord tool for encounters, for starters.

Basically, leaders add their leadership value, so a Captain 5, a General 10, a Warlord 25.
Each kingdom has some value for their warriors that accompany, from 8 to about 20.
Each wizard that enters the fray (requires an order) adds 6, 8, or 10 per power level depending on kingdom at full power - using #139.  Half at Guarded Attack.
A weapon artifact or a wand/rod adds about 25.

Attacking with tactic 1 reduces values 25%, but also survival by 25%.  Opposite for tactic 3.  But losing an encounter means much more danger to characters than winning.