Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: Game Turn Pacing?
I do understand I dislike having to wait 6 months plus for a warlords game to finish so I just do not play many of them actually if i did not like the draft so much i would play none. I dislike playing a game not on an even playing field aka chivalry but I play them anyway even though no experienced player games are formed.

(06-15-2015, 08:26 PM)HeadHoncho Wrote: Argument is that some players will not want to play in a fast-paced game, thus consigning them to either play a pace they dislike or detest, or wait around for a potentially very long time for a weekly or 4/4/6 game to start.

This last chivalry game that I joined is a good example... if it ran say every three days... I would not have signed up. My pal prime probably wouldn't have either.

Which mean we would be waiting for another game while the other group of 8 or 9 guys would also be waiting to start.

Folks get tired of waiting... folks go find something else to do.

A careful balancing act indeed.

What we could do (with Ry Vor's permission) is try a faster daily schedule with the 3rd Cycle's Choosing test game. That would mean you'll get a new turn every day, 7 days a week, and end up finalizing the new release that much sooner. People will be able to experience what it's like to play in a faster paced game and see if it causes player burn-out or such.

And since we're on the topic of the new release, programming is going fairly smooth right now. I've already finished the military changes like having two archer phases, new leader ranks, and each brigade having its own morale/attrition/training levels (much like Fall of Rome). I'll finish sea changes sometime today (new patrol, merchant ships, and trading missions) and start working on the kingdom traits and custom modifications later this week.

So progress going well and we may be able to start a new game in as little as a couple of weeks or so...

Awesome that things are going so fast UM. 7 days a week sounds fast even to me, but I willing to try.

Yes, amazing that things are going so fast! That is seriously incredible!

Not sure even I could do 1/day turns, maybe M/T/W/Th/F would be better, for those people who are often away from the computer on the weekends.

Generally, I have all my turns submitted within 24 hours of turn results (as my #174 mentor can attest to, although maybe I should spend more time thinking about them, as I have made some critical mistakes), so I would be willing to support any decision that Ry Vor and Unclemike make.

(06-16-2015, 01:31 PM)Stromguard Wrote: Generally, I have all my turns submitted within 24 hours of turn results (as my #174 mentor can attest to, although maybe I should spend more time thinking about them, as I have made some critical mistakes), so I would be willing to support any decision that Ry Vor and Unclemike make.

That should be, "any decision that Ry Vor makes". Not me, I'm just a programmer here. For the test game, I just want a faster turnaround than 4-4-6 because once approved, others will be able to sign up for 3rd Cycle games.

Let's not get too carried away.  The Creator has not been too productive/creative over the last couple weeks, for one.  It's as much about what not to put in as what to put in. Again, not wanting to go too much into how the sausage is made, but its generally by iteration, so even when we make progress, we go over it several times.

It will be out, when its out, but don't hold off on joining a 2nd Cycle game, and meanwhile think about getting in a 15 player game, like Alamaze Classic was, as that may be going away in the near future.  And that's actually saying something in the case of Alamaze, that has been played since 1985. That's before the Civilization franchise, and maybe eight years before Magic the Gathering. Not sure what other games that started at the beginning of the PC age are still around.