The Shadow Lands of the Necromancer
“From Death: Eternal Life”
Dawn of the 4th Cycle of Alamaze
The Necromancer’s Empire of Doom, a realm steeped in darkness and despair, stands as a blight upon the land. The malevolent Lord of the Undead is driven by an insidious ambition to eradicate all life and bend it to his will. Within the boundaries of this evil empire, mortals face a grim fate. The Damned, the few unfortunate souls who still draw breath, are condemned to serve as pawns in the Lord’s twisted designs, with the specter of undeath looming over them, eagerly awaiting their demise. Unleashing his power over necromancy, the Lord commands legions of the undead, their ranks swelling with each fallen foe. Powerful wizards, skilled in the arcane arts, facilitate the teleportation of these unholy hordes into the heartlands of their enemies. Once unleashed, the undead sow chaos and devastation, leaving trails of destruction and despair in their wake. With every life claimed, their numbers grow, replenishing the Lord’s army with a seemingly limitless supply of zombies.
The Necromancer’s Empire of Doom casts a pall of fear and dread across the world, its ruthless pursuit of domination and the eradication of all living things chilling the hearts of even the bravest souls. Its wicked power and macabre practices make it a paragon of evil, a blight that threatens to consume the very essence of life itself.
From Your Disciple of Death:
Lord of the Undead, your victory is all but assured, unless your mortal office holders fail in their missions. Your magic power is unsurpassed, your ability to both create and summon all sorts of undead in unprecedented and not threatened, your early achievement of many spells is a source of jealousy with your rivals. You will want to raise a wizard to be able to teleport an army group, as assembling an undead army group shouldn’t take long. Woe to your enemies, Lord of the Undead.
Specialized Traits For Our Kingdom:
The following traits provide special and unique bonuses for our kingdom. These effects are inherent and do not require specific action to enable unless otherwise specified in the section below.
|Cultural||Magic Resistance (Death)|
- Evil: Only Evil kingdoms may summon undead if in spell lists. Undead brigades cannot become Elite. Undead brigades have a floor morale of 80 and cannot raise above 120. Damned, Skeletons, and Zombies may be summoned from pop center areas (not in wild only). Only Evil kingdoms may recruit Trolls. Brigade maintenance is -25% for Evil kingdoms. Only Evil kingdoms may have Nazgul, Wraith, or Lich figures. Evil kingdoms gain a pop center’s full production value in food and gold (not reduced by seasonal effects) when conquered. Rule of Law has cost of 0 for Evil kingdoms. Evil kingdoms start Hostile in all regions except for capital and second town regions. When an Evil kingdom first controls a particular region, all non-Evil kingdoms have their regional reactions changed to Hostile. If an Evil kingdom has control in a region with Loyal reactions, non-Evil kingdoms cannot improve their regional reaction there. An Evil kingdom may not enamor a region that is Loyal to any non-Evil kingdom. Agent training is -1,000 gold to a minimum of 1,000. Maximum agent training is +2 levels.
- Magic Resist Death: Kingdom is 33% resistant to magical death effects. This consists of the kill leader/wizard spell, death spell, and the summon imp/demon/high demon spells. If successful, no damage will be taken.
- Order: +2 to starting Influence. Controlled popcenters have 10 points intrinsic counter espionage in addition to any agent counter espionage, and intrinsic 2 points Maintain Status Quo (so the equivalent to a Provincial Governor maintaining status quo in a Tolerant region popcenter with 12 Influence). Magic research cost and agent training are +1,000 gold per level (i.e. a penalty due to the imposition of maintaining order).
- Ruthless: Cause Fear (-10% to morale of opposing groups or to popcenter defense). +2 points intrinsic status quo to controlled popcenters so about a Provincial Governor Maintaining Status Quo in a tolerant region. +10 points to Threaten (#180).
Special Rules For The Shadow Lands of the Necromancer Kingdom:
- Terrain Adeptness: Standard
- Magical Prowess: Supremacy (Tier 1 of 7)
- Spells available earlier than prowess base: Summon Death, Summon Demon, Summon High Demon, Summon Ghouls, Summon Mummies, Summon Skeletons, Summon Wights
- Transmute Damned to Zombie (Order #551, 0 gold). This order will convert a brigade of Damned troops into becoming a brigade of Zombie troops. Zombie brigades created by this order will be of Green experience level, and this order cannot bring the group total to be over 20 Zombie brigades. The advantage of having the more advanced Zombie troops is their special ability to eat the dead on the battlefield, which increases the number of Zombie brigades in the group (up to their maximum). The additional Zombie brigades join the group at no cost and are automatically done by the peculiar nature of the Zombie troops.
- Winter Attack. Group vs. group attack ability. Group must attack (not defend). May only be done in regions affected by the season, so during the Winter season, only permitted in regions 1-3 and 5-7 (except during an Ice Age where all regions are valid). Happens automatically if kingdom, region, and season qualifies (no special order needed). Attacking with this innate ability automatically grants +20% to both attack and defense values and causes Fear (-10% morale for battle) to enemy if our kingdom attacks at a TAC 2+. Can stack with Flanking or Night Attack.
- Night Attack (use TAC 5). Group vs. group attack. Requires a Marshal or better (not stunned), 2 or more Veteran or higher kingdom brigades, cannot be done in summer. Causes Fear (-10% morale for enemy in battle), enemy missile phases are at -75%, own missile phases are -33%, enemy leadership values reduced 33%, enemy retreat losses are x2, enemy characters have +10 points to death chance from battle. Retreat as TAC 2. Night attack is not valid against groups that attack our own at TAC 2 or higher (our attack converts to standard battle plan).
- Wizard capitals start with a significant boost to their defense than normal.
Your first group begins as your most powerful and important group. In addition, should you earn your Early Strategic Objective or qualify for an Appeal to the Gods (Epic Game only) there are possible awards that only go into your first group (see General Rules).
Early Strategic Objectives:
Enter your selections for the Early Strategic Objectives with your orders on turns 1 through 3. Use Order #991 and reference the instructions in the Official Rulebook. If you do not select any objectives, your kingdom will receive the default objectives listed below:
|Control a region||worth 2 points|
|Have 3+ Dukes (not Demon Princes/Consuls/King/Queen/Regent)||worth 1 point|
We are pursuing a MINOR ESO!
On turns 10 through 15, if our kingdom has achieved the above requirements to total 3 achievement points, we may claim awards worth 3 points!
This campaign has NORMAL victory conditions.
Therefore a kingdom may win via Rex (control 5+ regions) or by Lion’s Share (most status points at end of the game).
Skeletons In The Closet:
The following skeletons, if revealed, will have detrimental impact on your influence and on regional reaction in some regions.
|MAJOR||1578||The King Has Recently Suffered Acute Amnesia. He Is Not Certain Of Any Of His Past.|
|MINOR||2349||The King Wears A Magically Crafted Mask To Hide His Ugliness.|
|MINOR||7091||The King Has Hodophobia: He Is Terrified To Travel.|
Proficiency: Supremacy (Tier 1 of 7)
Maximum assured Power level attainable: 9
(Spellcasters may attempt to research beyond the assured level, but may fail about 50% of the time, and the gold cost is still consumed)
Gold cost per research level: 8,000
(Plateau levels have additional cost. At 3rd level, +10,000 gold. At 5th level, +30,000 gold. At 7th level, +60,000 gold. For example, to increase a pwr-2 wizard to pwr-3, the cost is the gold-cost-per-research-level x level + plateau cost, or 34,000 gold. To reach 5th level, the cost is 70,000 gold. To reach 7th level, the cost is 116,000 gold.)
Level 0: Rite Of The Magi, Self Invisible, Wizard Assist Encounter
Level 1: Bridge Of Mist, Create Food, Create Gold, Diplomacy, Fear, Light Of The Evening Star, Lightning Attack, Magic Research, Protect Heroes and Wizards, Raven Familiar, Reveal King’s Influence, Shield, Speed, Stun Leader, Ward
Level 2: Bridge Of Mist (Intrinsic), Dispel Magic, Dispel Storm at Sea, Firestrike, Guarded Attack, Invisible Patrol, Kill Leader/Wizard, Lesser Masking, Light Of The Evening Star (Intrinsic), Raise Zombies, Ship of Mist, Sleep, Teleport Self
Level 3: Command Tornado, Conceal Emissary, Dispel Dome of Invulnerability, Dispel Regional Effect, Flash Flood, Greater Masking, Hidden Ore, Imp Familiar, Instant Self Teleport, Invisible Brigade, Mirror Image, Presence (Intrinsic), Protection from Regional Effect, Raise Population Center Census, Strengthen Walls, Summon Skeletons, Teleport Patrol, True Seeing, Ward Population Center, Wind Storm
Level 4: Chaos, Cold Darkness (Regional Effect), Curse, Destroy Undead, Earthquake, Fertile Fields, Instant Summon Phantoms, Invisible Division, Project Image Of Group, Summon Ghouls, Summon Minotaurs, Teleport Brigade, Wall of Flame
Level 5: Conjure Prestige, Create Magical Item, Demonic Visions (Regional Effect), Ice Torrent, Infuriate Populace, Invisible Army, Meteor Strike, Plague (Regional Effect), Raise Regional Census (Regional Effect), Sacrifice, Summon Death, Summon Kraken, Summon Rock Golems, Summon Wights, Teleport Division, Transform to Nazgul, True Seeing (Intrinsic), Unveil Group Locations, Unveil Population Centers, Wraith Form
Level 6: Augment Title, Chain Lightning, Charm Region, Conjure Scandal, Dome of Invulnerability, Enhance King’s Aura, Famine (Regional Effect), Revelation, Simulacrum, Storm at Sea, Summon Demon, Summon Mummies, Summon Specters, Teleport Army
Level 7: Power Word Stun, Prismatic Rays, Summon High Demon, Summon Leviathan, Teleport Army Group, Transform to Lich
Level 8: Crack The Sky, Incendiary Cloud, Summon Iron Golem
Level 9: Arcane Disjunction, Disintegrate
The Shadow Lands of the Necromancer Military Dossier
Kingdom Brigade Description:
Many soldiers were formerly among the Damned, and received military training and equipment upgrades, and so fly their brigade banner as bannermen of the Necromancer. Normally equipped with black leather, shield and spear, with a compliment of archers. It will be rare to see an exclusively Necro-kingdom brigade force given the great variety of summoned and companion brigades available.
Kingdom Brigade Ratings:
|LR Missile||SR Missile||Charge||1st Melee||2nd Melee||Combined||Storm (PC)||Defense|
Recruit Troops (Order #560), Recruit Companions (Order #565), or magically summoned brigades fight at their respective values for all kingdoms. They move according to the kingdom’s movement table. They consume food and gold at their respective rates. Groups at sea fight according to the fleet quantity and quality in the given sea.
Special Note: Flyers may be available for your kingdom through the Recruit Companions (Order #565) or as a Wizard Summoning Spell. All flying groups, either as natural flyers like Dragons or groups enhanced with special brigades/artifacts that bestow flying capabilities, are considered flying at all times. When specifying the group’s movement, all terrain costs are calculated as normally in your movement order (including when flying over water areas). However, flying groups whether they are all-natural flyers (e.g., all brigades of Griffons) or non-natural flyers (ground-based troops that gain flying by acquiring an artifact or by recruiting Giant Eagles) are checked throughout the turn if their situation changes. Flying status may be lost if the group no longer meets certain criteria such as losing division-sized status required by certain artifacts due to transferring troops between groups, combining groups together, or gaining additional troops through battle as what may occur with special troops like Zombies that eat the dead and grow in number. Or Lycanthrope that spreads among the injured on the battlefield and the group acquires new Lycan brigades. Another possibility to consider is if the group will receive any troop reinforcements, which occurs at certain intervals throughout the game. So, even though a ground-based, non-natural flying group may start the turn as a flyer, its status may change throughout the course of the game. A flying group that flys over or lands upon a water area may be issued any movement order (e.g., 720 and not required a sea movement order like 710).
Natural flyers are: Black/Red Dragons, Great Bats, Phoenixes, Specters, and Wyverns, as well as the new troop types of Air Elementals, Beholders, Chimeras, Cockatrices, Fairy Folk, Gargoyles, Giant Eagles, Griffons, Manticores, Mephits, Pixies, Rocs, and Sprites. Giant Eagles and Rocs are the only natural flyers capable of bestowing flight to ground-based troops. Artifacts that are capable of bestowing flight to others are: Great Red Bats of the Lost Caves, Green Dragon Mates, and the Last Herd of Winged Stallions. If a group consists of only natural-flyers or ground-based troops that become capable of flying, the following flight bonuses apply: +20% attack bonus vs pop centers, immune to Earthquake, Flash Flood, and Wall of Flame spells, patrol-sized groups have 32 (rather than 20) movement points (only for patrols of the Black Dragon, Red Dragon, and Fairy Folk kingdoms), may fly over water without a naval fleet being involved (may finish movement upon a water area), automatically performs a reconnaissance of the group’s location as a level 1 agent, and the flying group may not be flanked in battle (a special attack maneuver that certain kingdoms may perform).
Kingdom and Recruitable Troop Types (Food/Gold Amount Is Cost To Recruit):
|Type||ID||Food||Gold||Max Per Group||Notes|
|Necromancer||NE||N/A||N/A||Unlimited||Kingdom brigade, not recruitable but receive as reinforcements|
|Knights of Styx||KS||8,000||10,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within Darkover (2), Krynn (4), Triumvia (5), Nyvaria (7), or Pellinor (9) and requires General and 1 Veteran brigade [Only permitted for evil kingdoms]|
|Mythians||MY||6,000||8,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within Zanthia (6), The Sword Coast (8), Zamora (10), Mythgar (11), or The Untamed Lands (12) and requires General and 1 Veteran brigade|
|Northmen||NM||4,000||6,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within The Crown Islands (1), Darkover (2), The Diamond Coast (3), Triumvia (5), or Stormgate (13) and requires Captain|
|Nyvarians||NY||4,000||6,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within The Diamond Coast (3), Nyvaria (7), Pellinor (9), The Untamed Lands (12), or Stormgate (13)|
|Stormgate Guard||ST||10,000||10,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within Stormgate (13) and requires General|
|Vikings||VI||6,000||9,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within The Crown Islands (1), Darkover (2), or The Diamond Coast (3) and requires General and 1 Veteran brigade|
|Westmen||WE||4,000||6,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within Krynn (4), Triumvia (5), Zanthia (6), The Sword Coast (8), or Stormgate (13) and requires Captain|
|Zamorans||ZA||4,000||6,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within The Sword Coast (8), Pellinor (9), Zamora (10), Mythgar (11), The Untamed Lands (12), or Stormgate (13) and requires Captain|
|Companions (Order #565):|
|Damned||DM||2,000||2,000||10||Recruit at pop center (any terrain) or in wild (no pop center) in Plains, Forest, Mountains, Desert terrain and requires Captain and 1 Veteran brigade|
|Goblins||GO||2,000||2,000||20||Recruit in wild (no pop center) in Plains, Forest, Mountains, Marsh terrain and requires Captain and 1 brigades|
|Orcs||OR||4,000||4,000||15||Recruit in wild (no pop center) in Plains, Forest, Mountains, Marsh terrain and requires Captain and 1 brigades|
|Trolls||TR||10,000||12,000||5||Recruit in wild (no pop center) in Forest, Mountains terrain and requires Marshal and 1 Veteran brigade|
|Uak Hai||UR||6,000||6,000||5||Recruit in wild (no pop center) in Plains, Mountains, Marsh, Desert terrain and 1 Veteran brigade|
|Warg Riders||WR||4,000||4,000||5||Recruit in wild (no pop center) in Plains terrain and requires General and 3 brigades|
|Summoned (By Spell):|
|Ghouls||GH||N/A||N/A||5||Summon in wild (no pop center) in Forest, Marsh terrain|
|Iron Golem||IG||N/A||N/A||1||Summon in wild (no pop center) in Mountains terrain|
|Minotaurs||MI||N/A||N/A||5||Summon in wild (no pop center) in Forest, Mountains terrain|
|Mummies||MU||N/A||N/A||5||Summon in wild (no pop center) in Desert terrain|
|Phantoms (Flyer)||PT||N/A||N/A||5||Summon in any terrain|
|Rock Golems||RG||N/A||N/A||5||Summon in wild (no pop center) in Mountains terrain|
|Skeletons||SK||N/A||N/A||20||Summon in any terrain (including pop centers)|
|Specters (Flyer)||SP||N/A||N/A||7||Summon in wild (no pop center) in Plains, Forest, Mountains, Marsh, Desert terrain|
|Wights||WT||N/A||N/A||7||Summon in wild (no pop center) in Mountains terrain|
|Zombies||ZO||N/A||N/A||20||Summon in any terrain|
Resource Consumption per Brigade (Each Turn) [Being Evil Has -25% Incorporated]:
|Knights of Styx||2,025||2,025|
|Companions (Order #565):|
|Summoned (By Spell):|
Reinforcement Schedule (Receive As Kingdom Brigades):
Terrain Combat Adjustment:
|Terrain Type||Movement Point Cost||Movement (Ice Age)||Necromancer||Trait|
Your intercept radius is 3 areas (for Order #732).