The Vile Culture of the Lycans
“All Will Become Like Us”
Dawn of the 4th Cycle of Alamaze
The Lycans rule a malevolent kingdom steeped in darkness and fueled by the desire to consume and convert. This kingdom is the epitome of wickedness, and its primary objective is to spread the curse of lycanthropy to everyone to bolster their power. The Lycans’ citizens are loyal to their overlords, and they revere their lycanthropic abilities as a gift, and not as a curse as those in the other kingdoms would call it. The Lycans’s animalistic cunning and ruthlessness in battle make them deadly foes in battle, and their ambushes in the dead of night are the stuff of nightmares. The Lycans are feared by all other kingdoms due to their cruel tactics, and many live in fear of becoming victims of their dark power.
Their natural resistances to many forms of magic make the Lycans’ forces tough to counter, meanwhile, their own mastery of magics is awe-inspiring. They use their magical abilities to enhance their lycanthropic powers, making them nearly invincible in combat. The Lycans’ ultimate goal is to become the dominant kingdom and rule over all others, spreading their curse and darkness across the land. Those who dare to oppose them must be prepared to face the Lycans’ wrath and terrible power.
From Your Prime Minister:
We are the new ruling order of the realm. Our subjugation of others and of their conversion to our kingdom after being infected with lycanthrope, will grow in power. The humanoid races do not respect us, but they will, great Overlord. We have Mastery skill in magic to supplement our forces. We have very good agents that will aid our efforts. We, under your wise guidance, shall rise to dominate this land where all will submit.
Specialized Traits For Our Kingdom:
The following traits provide special and unique bonuses for our kingdom. These effects are inherent and do not require specific action to enable unless otherwise specified in the section below.
|Cultural||Magic Resistance (Battle)|
|Cultural||Magic Resistance (Death)|
|Cultural||Magic Resistance (Sleep)|
- Acuity: Groups are never surprised, acts as entrenched. Agents have a reduced -10 points from being captured during missions. Political emissaries get +5 to their rebel/usurp die roll. Characters of this kingdom that become prisoners get 15 points added to their chance of escape.
- Cunning: +15 point bonus to Incite Rebellion (#320) and Stir Unrest (#315). +3 levels to max agent training. Agent training reduced by -1,000 gold.
- Evil: Only Evil kingdoms may summon undead if in spell lists. Undead brigades cannot become Elite. Undead brigades have a floor morale of 80 and cannot raise above 120. Damned, Skeletons, and Zombies may be summoned from pop center areas (not in wild only). Only Evil kingdoms may recruit Trolls. Brigade maintenance is -25% for Evil kingdoms. Only Evil kingdoms may have Nazgul, Wraith, or Lich figures. Evil kingdoms gain a pop center’s full production value in food and gold (not reduced by seasonal effects) when conquered. Rule of Law has cost of 0 for Evil kingdoms. Evil kingdoms start Hostile in all regions except for capital and second town regions. When an Evil kingdom first controls a particular region, all non-Evil kingdoms have their regional reactions changed to Hostile. If an Evil kingdom has control in a region with Loyal reactions, non-Evil kingdoms cannot improve their regional reaction there. An Evil kingdom may not enamor a region that is Loyal to any non-Evil kingdom. Agent training is -1,000 gold to a minimum of 1,000. Maximum agent training is +2 levels.
- Magic Resist Battle: Kingdom is 33% resistant to combat magic effects (e.g., firestrike, earthquake). If successful, no damage will be taken.
- Magic Resist Death: Kingdom is 33% resistant to magical death effects. This consists of the kill leader/wizard spell, death spell, and the summon imp/demon/high demon spells. If successful, no damage will be taken.
- Magic Resist Sleep: Kingdom is 33% resistant to sleep effects.
- Military Tradition: Adds a Marshal to the 1st group and a General to the 2nd group, leaders promote at +10 points, new leaders emerge at +10 points, and have 10 points better survivability in combat. Brigades advance in training level at 10 points greater than normal. Warriors, the soldier portion of a party’s strength rating, are worth +3 in Unusual Encounters.
- Riders: Patrols get 32 movement points. Cavalry values for these kingdoms are higher. +1 to emissary and agent ranges. Groups with brigades get +2 movement points, so 22 for normal movement and 27 for forced march. Intercept range is +1 (max 5 intercept range). Riders have access to the Flank tactic, but kingdoms with the Riders trait cannot be flanked in battle.
- Ruthless: Cause Fear (-10% to morale of opposing groups or to popcenter defense). +2 points intrinsic status quo to controlled popcenters so about a Provincial Governor Maintaining Status Quo in a tolerant region. +10 points to Threaten (#180).
- Spy Network: The kingdom has gone to lengths to establish a network of agents. Begins with an additional level 6 agent and level 3 agent at the capital. The cost for agent training is reduced by 20%.
- Trackers: Provides an intrinsic (no order required) level 4 agent recon of each active group area. Detects groups in ambush but not invisible groups. Can locate hidden sites if ending movement on them.
Special Rules For The Vile Culture of the Lycans Kingdom:
- Terrain Adeptness: Advantage in all terrains
- Magical Prowess: Standard (Tier 4 of 7)
- Spells available earlier than prowess base: Dire Wolf Familiar
- The main strength of the Lycan kingdom is their ability to spread Lycanthrope. This occurs as a special ability regarding military matters, covert operations, political gestures, as well as infecting opposing entities if they act against our kingdom. As the lycanthrope grows, so does the Lycan kingdom.
- The military forces of the Lycans grow as they infect others during combat. After a battle, opposing forces on the battlefield are infected with lycanthrope and join the Lycan military as new kingdom-named brigades. One kingdom-named brigade is gained after conquering a town, two for cities. Against opposing forces in group vs. group combat, a number of new kingdom brigades will be gained depending upon the results of the battle at a 33% conversion rate. Keep in mind that some troop losses in battle occur during the retreat stage and may not be considered for lycanthrope conversion. At least one Lycan kingdom-named brigade must exist in the group in order to spread lycanthrope. Only the Lycan kingdom has this special ability of growing their forces during battles and gain valuable kingdom-named brigades. [Important to note is that the additional brigades gained during battle will consume food/gold later in the turn, so plan accordingly]
- Lycan kingdom-named brigades known for their brute strength also have special abilities. They regenerate attrition damage after every battle at the rate of 5% (e.g., 5% attrition loss from battle becomes 0%).
- Lycan kingdom-named brigades also benefit during winter months. The longer nights and greater exposure to moonlight during the winter enables 50% reduction in food cost for Lycan kingdom-named brigades. In an Ice Age game with an ever present winter, the reduction in food costs lasts the entire game. Other brigades such as companions or summoned troops still require food consumption during the winter however.
- Our military’s ferociousness gains 10% in combat (instead of 5%) against declared enemies.
- The spread of lycanthrope also applies for any captured figures from conquering pop centers. All prisoners that are captured are bitten and have a 33% chance of being infected with lycanthrope. As a result, they join the Lycan kingdom with their full rank restored (e.g., a captured Prince, remains a Prince when joining the Lycans). The only exceptions are ruler ranks (since the Lycans cannot have two Kings) and Immortals who are immune to lycanthrope. If an Immortal (e.g., Demon Prince) is captured, they remain as a hostage in the kingdom’s dungeons until rescued/escape.
- Lycanthrope also affects opposing political entities that dare to challenge the Lycan kingdom. Any failed attempt of rebelling or usurping a Lycan-owned pop center that normally results in capture, are instead bitten and have a 33% chance of being infected with lycanthrope to join the Lycan kingdom. The risk of such a loss will cause opposing kingdoms to think twice before challenging the Lycan rule.
- Any failed covert operations by opposing agents have a 33% chance of being infected with lycanthrope. If the mission result of an enemy agent is to be captured/killed, they are instead bitten and join the Lycan kingdom with full rank and level.
- Due to being supernatural, the Lycan kingdom are strongly resistant to magical effects (see trait section).
- Night Attack (use TAC 5). Group vs. group attack. Requires a Marshal or better (not stunned), 2 or more Veteran or higher kingdom brigades, cannot be done in summer. Causes Fear (-10% morale for enemy in battle), enemy missile phases are at -75%, own missile phases are -33%, enemy leadership values reduced 33%, enemy retreat losses are x2, enemy characters have +10 points to death chance from battle. Retreat as TAC 2. Night attack is not valid against groups that attack our own at TAC 2 or higher (our attack converts to standard battle plan).
- Winter Attack. Group vs. group attack ability. Group must attack (not defend). May only be done in regions affected by the season, so during the Winter season, only permitted in regions 1-3 and 5-7 (except during an Ice Age where all regions are valid). Happens automatically if kingdom, region, and season qualifies (no special order needed). Attacking with this innate ability automatically grants +20% to both attack and defense values and causes Fear (-10% morale for battle) to enemy if our kingdom attacks at a TAC 2+. Can stack with Flanking or Night Attack.
- Flanking Tactic (use TAC 4). Group vs. group attack that requires the Riders Trait, a Marshal or better in the group (not stunned), and can only be done in Plains or Desert terrain. Cannot be used against a group with flying or a kingdom with the Riders Trait (reverts to Standard Battle Plan). Cannot be used against an enemy group with a Warlord who is healthy (not stunned). Charge phase combat value for the flanking force is at 175%. Enemy losses in retreat is x3. Changes enemy’s Organized Withdrawal to Stand And Defend. Own group retreat as Standard Battle Plan. If Flanking group retreats, its own losses in retreat are 2x.
- Due to the repulsion and unacceptance by others, the Lycan kingdom is not able to become a High Council member. All bids from our kingdom are ignored.
Your first group begins as your most powerful and important group. In addition, should you earn your Early Strategic Objective or qualify for an Appeal to the Gods (Epic Game only) there are possible awards that only go into your first group (see General Rules).
Early Strategic Objectives:
Enter your selections for the Early Strategic Objectives with your orders on turns 1 through 3. Use Order #991 and reference the instructions in the Official Rulebook. If you do not select any objectives, your kingdom will receive the default objectives listed below:
|Control a region||worth 2 points|
|Have 3+ Dukes (not Demon Princes/Consuls/King/Queen/Regent)||worth 1 point|
We are pursuing a MINOR ESO!
On turns 10 through 15, if our kingdom has achieved the above requirements to total 3 achievement points, we may claim awards worth 3 points!
This campaign has NORMAL victory conditions.
Therefore a kingdom may win via Rex (control 5+ regions) or by Lion’s Share (most status points at end of the game).
Skeletons In The Closet:
The following skeletons, if revealed, will have detrimental impact on your influence and on regional reaction in some regions.
|MAJOR||6842||The King Has Pyrophobia: He Is Unnaturally Afraid Of All Fire.|
|MINOR||9337||The King Covered Up The Murder Of His Chief Councilor Several Years Ago.|
|MINOR||8835||The King Wears A Magically Crafted Mask To Hide His Ugliness.|
Proficiency: Standard (Tier 4 of 7)
Maximum assured Power level attainable: 6
(Spellcasters may attempt to research beyond the assured level, but may fail about 50% of the time, and the gold cost is still consumed)
Gold cost per research level: 10,000
(Plateau levels have additional cost. At 3rd level, +10,000 gold. At 5th level, +30,000 gold. At 7th level, +60,000 gold. For example, to increase a pwr-2 wizard to pwr-3, the cost is the gold-cost-per-research-level x level + plateau cost, or 40,000 gold. To reach 5th level, the cost is 80,000 gold. To reach 7th level, the cost is 130,000 gold.)
Level 0: Rite Of The Magi, Self Invisible, Wizard Assist Encounter
Level 1: Create Food, Light Of The Evening Star, Magic Research, Protect Heroes and Wizards, Raven Familiar, Shield, Stun Leader, Ward
Level 2: Bridge Of Mist, Create Gold, Diplomacy, Fear, Light Of The Evening Star (Intrinsic), Lightning Attack, Reveal King’s Influence, Sleep, Speed, Valor
Level 3: Bridge Of Mist (Intrinsic), Dire Wolf Familiar, Dispel Dome of Invulnerability, Dispel Magic, Firestrike, Guarded Attack, Hidden Ore, Kill Leader/Wizard, Lesser Masking, Presence (Intrinsic), Ship of Mist, Strengthen Walls, Teleport Self, Wind Storm
Level 4: Chaos, Conceal Emissary, Dispel Storm at Sea, Fertile Fields, Flash Flood, Greater Masking, Instant Self Teleport, Invisible Patrol, Mirror Image, Raise Population Center Census, Raise Zombies, Teleport Patrol, Wall of Flame
Level 5: Command Tornado, Create Magical Item, Destroy Undead, Dire Wolf Familiar (Intrinsic), Dispel Regional Effect, Imp Familiar, Instant Summon Phantoms, Invisible Brigade, Protection from Regional Effect, Storm at Sea, Teleport Brigade, True Seeing, Ward Population Center
Level 6: Cold Darkness (Regional Effect), Curse, Earthquake, Invisible Division, Project Image Of Group, Revelation, Sacrifice, Summon Minotaurs, Summon Rock Golems, Summon Skeletons, Teleport Division, Transform to Nazgul, Unveil Group Locations, Unveil Population Centers
Level 7: Charm Region, Conjure Prestige, Conjure Scandal, Demonic Visions (Regional Effect), Dome of Invulnerability, Enhance King’s Aura, Ice Torrent, Infuriate Populace, Invisible Army, Meteor Strike, Plague (Regional Effect), Raise Regional Census (Regional Effect), Summon Ghouls, Teleport Army, True Seeing (Intrinsic)
Level 8: Augment Title, Famine (Regional Effect), Prismatic Rays, Summon Death, Summon Demon, Summon Specters, Summon Wights, Teleport Army Group, Wraith Form
Level 9: Crack The Sky, Incendiary Cloud, Simulacrum, Summon Mummies, Transform to Lich
The Vile Culture of the Lycans Military Dossier
Kingdom Brigade Description:
Lycans are excellent fighters, across the board except for missile phases. In melee, they use teeth and claw as their primary weapons. They are a reliable force, well augmented when their forces grow in size due to infection with lycanthrope.
Kingdom Brigade Ratings:
|LR Missile||SR Missile||Charge||1st Melee||2nd Melee||Combined||Storm (PC)||Defense|
|Very Poor||Average||Excellent||Good||Good||Good||Good||Above Average|
Recruit Troops (Order #560), Recruit Companions (Order #565), or magically summoned brigades fight at their respective values for all kingdoms. They move according to the kingdom’s movement table. They consume food and gold at their respective rates. Groups at sea fight according to the fleet quantity and quality in the given sea.
Special Note: Flyers may be available for your kingdom through the Recruit Companions (Order #565) or as a Wizard Summoning Spell. All flying groups, either as natural flyers like Dragons or groups enhanced with special brigades/artifacts that bestow flying capabilities, are considered flying at all times. When specifying the group’s movement, all terrain costs are calculated as normally in your movement order (including when flying over water areas). However, flying groups whether they are all-natural flyers (e.g., all brigades of Griffons) or non-natural flyers (ground-based troops that gain flying by acquiring an artifact or by recruiting Giant Eagles) are checked throughout the turn if their situation changes. Flying status may be lost if the group no longer meets certain criteria such as losing division-sized status required by certain artifacts due to transferring troops between groups, combining groups together, or gaining additional troops through battle as what may occur with special troops like Zombies that eat the dead and grow in number. Or Lycanthrope that spreads among the injured on the battlefield and the group acquires new Lycan brigades. Another possibility to consider is if the group will receive any troop reinforcements, which occurs at certain intervals throughout the game. So, even though a ground-based, non-natural flying group may start the turn as a flyer, its status may change throughout the course of the game. A flying group that flys over or lands upon a water area may be issued any movement order (e.g., 720 and not required a sea movement order like 710).
Natural flyers are: Black/Red Dragons, Great Bats, Phoenixes, Specters, and Wyverns, as well as the new troop types of Air Elementals, Beholders, Chimeras, Cockatrices, Fairy Folk, Gargoyles, Giant Eagles, Griffons, Manticores, Mephits, Pixies, Rocs, and Sprites. Giant Eagles and Rocs are the only natural flyers capable of bestowing flight to ground-based troops. Artifacts that are capable of bestowing flight to others are: Great Red Bats of the Lost Caves, Green Dragon Mates, and the Last Herd of Winged Stallions. If a group consists of only natural-flyers or ground-based troops that become capable of flying, the following flight bonuses apply: +20% attack bonus vs pop centers, immune to Earthquake, Flash Flood, and Wall of Flame spells, patrol-sized groups have 32 (rather than 20) movement points (only for patrols of the Black Dragon, Red Dragon, and Fairy Folk kingdoms), may fly over water without a naval fleet being involved (may finish movement upon a water area), automatically performs a reconnaissance of the group’s location as a level 1 agent, and the flying group may not be flanked in battle (a special attack maneuver that certain kingdoms may perform).
Kingdom and Recruitable Troop Types (Food/Gold Amount Is Cost To Recruit):
|Type||ID||Food||Gold||Max Per Group||Notes|
|Lycans||LY||N/A||N/A||Unlimited||Kingdom brigade, not recruitable but receive as reinforcements|
|Knights of Styx||KS||8,000||10,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within Darkover (2), Krynn (4), Triumvia (5), Nyvaria (7), or Pellinor (9) and requires General and 1 Veteran brigade [Only permitted for evil kingdoms]|
|Mythians||MY||6,000||8,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within Zanthia (6), The Sword Coast (8), Zamora (10), Mythgar (11), or The Untamed Lands (12) and requires General and 1 Veteran brigade|
|Northmen||NM||4,000||6,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within The Crown Islands (1), Darkover (2), The Diamond Coast (3), Triumvia (5), or Stormgate (13) and requires Captain|
|Nyvarians||NY||4,000||6,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within The Diamond Coast (3), Nyvaria (7), Pellinor (9), The Untamed Lands (12), or Stormgate (13)|
|Stormgate Guard||ST||10,000||10,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within Stormgate (13) and requires General|
|Vikings||VI||6,000||9,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within The Crown Islands (1), Darkover (2), or The Diamond Coast (3) and requires General and 1 Veteran brigade|
|Westmen||WE||4,000||6,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within Krynn (4), Triumvia (5), Zanthia (6), The Sword Coast (8), or Stormgate (13) and requires Captain|
|Zamorans||ZA||4,000||6,000||Unlimited||Recruit at pop center within The Sword Coast (8), Pellinor (9), Zamora (10), Mythgar (11), The Untamed Lands (12), or Stormgate (13) and requires Captain|
|Companions (Order #565):|
|Orcs||OR||4,000||4,000||15||Recruit in wild (no pop center) in Plains, Forest, Mountains, Marsh terrain and requires Captain and 1 brigades|
|Trolls||TR||10,000||12,000||5||Recruit in wild (no pop center) in Forest, Mountains terrain and requires Marshal and 1 Veteran brigade|
|Summoned (By Spell):|
|Ghouls||GH||N/A||N/A||5||Summon in wild (no pop center) in Forest, Marsh terrain|
|Minotaurs||MI||N/A||N/A||5||Summon in wild (no pop center) in Forest, Mountains terrain|
|Mummies||MU||N/A||N/A||5||Summon in wild (no pop center) in Desert terrain|
|Phantoms (Flyer)||PT||N/A||N/A||5||Summon in any terrain|
|Rock Golems||RG||N/A||N/A||5||Summon in wild (no pop center) in Mountains terrain|
|Skeletons||SK||N/A||N/A||20||Summon in any terrain (including pop centers)|
|Specters (Flyer)||SP||N/A||N/A||7||Summon in wild (no pop center) in Plains, Forest, Mountains, Marsh, Desert terrain|
|Wights||WT||N/A||N/A||7||Summon in wild (no pop center) in Mountains terrain|
|Zombies||ZO||N/A||N/A||20||Summon in any terrain|
Resource Consumption per Brigade (Each Turn) [Being Evil Has -25% Incorporated]:
|Knights of Styx||2,025||2,025|
|Companions (Order #565):|
|Summoned (By Spell):|
Reinforcement Schedule (Receive As Kingdom Brigades):
Terrain Combat Adjustment:
|Terrain Type||Movement Point Cost||Movement (Ice Age)||Lycans||Trait|
|Plains||4.0||5.00||+10%||Advantage plus Lesser Masking|
|Forest||6.0||7.50||+10%||Advantage plus Lesser Masking|
|Mountains||7.0||8.75||+10%||Advantage plus Lesser Masking|
|Desert||6.0||7.50||+10%||Advantage plus Lesser Masking|
|Marsh||6.0||7.50||+10%||Advantage plus Lesser Masking|
|Sea||4.0||5.00||+10%||Advantage plus Lesser Masking|
Your intercept radius is 4 areas (for Order #732).