Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Poll: Should Trolls be available to all Kingdoms
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
36.36%
4 36.36%
No
63.64%
7 63.64%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll The Rise of the Free Clans: Trolls Turn the Tide
In the heart of the Blackened Crags, deep within the mountains that many feared to tread, the Council of Trolls convened under a shroud of darkness. For centuries, the trolls of Alamaze had been seen as nothing more than vile, destructive creatures, siding with the evil powers that sought only to dominate and consume. Their name invoked fear and hatred, their deeds etched in blood and ruin. But not all trolls embraced this path. In a time of great upheaval, a division had formed, and some among their ranks now sought to alter the destiny of their kind.
Under the shadow of the Great Stone of Gron, the elders gathered. The largest of their clans, once united under the banner of darkness, now found themselves at odds. Chieftain Brulgar of the Stonefists stood, his massive hands clutching his war-axe, once dripping with the blood of innocents, now clean as a symbol of change.
“We are no longer bound to the will of evil,” Brulgar's voice rumbled like the mountains themselves. “The time has come for us to break free from the chains of our past. For too long, the world has known us only as monsters. But we are more than that! We are warriors, builders, and protectors. The world of Alamaze is filled with light and hope, and we have the strength to stand beside it, not against it.”
A murmur swept through the council. Many had feared this moment, knowing that such a declaration would brand them traitors among the dark forces. But others, scarred by battles that had claimed too much of their kin, nodded in agreement.
“The clans of the Blackstone, the Deepfang, and even the Frosthide have all grown weary of this endless cycle of bloodshed and despair,” added Grimlok of the Frosthide, his voice as cold as the tundra his clan hailed from. “We seek a new path, a way to change the perception of our kind. Let us show the world that not all trolls are bent on destruction. Let us fight for something more.”
An elder of the Shadowtusk clan slammed his gnarled staff to the ground, his eyes burning with fury. “You would have us fight against our own blood? Against the very forces that have given us power?”
Brulgar stood firm, meeting the elder's gaze. “Yes. If it means saving our future. The evil that rules our brethren has consumed too much, and it will soon consume us if we do not act. We must show the world of Alamaze that we can be trusted, that we can stand for more than fear and violence.”
After long hours of heated debate, the decision was made. The trolls would split. Those who still clung to the old ways would remain with their dark masters, bound to the ancient pacts that had enslaved their kind. But those who sought a new future, led by Brulgar, Grimlok, and other visionary chieftains, would break away.
These trolls, now calling themselves the “Free Clans of the Mountain,” would offer their strength to any who would have them. Their immense power, once a tool of destruction, would now be wielded to protect the realms of Alamaze. The Free Clans would fight for the kingdoms that stood against evil, seeking to earn their place among the forces of good. From this day forth, the trolls of the Free Clans would no longer be bound by hatred, but would forge a new destiny by standing with those who fought for honor, justice, and hope.
And so, as the Council of Trolls disbanded, the once-feared creatures began their march toward redemption. The kingdoms of Alamaze would soon hear their offer—any who sought allies against the growing darkness would find a willing, powerful force in the trolls of the Free Clans, ready to prove that even the most feared could choose a path of light.

OOC - Troll Power Vote!

I can’t just add a new race with the overwhelming power of the Trolls—especially considering their significant advantage in population center battles. So let's make this a community decision. Should we bring to everyone or just keep them with the evil kingdoms?

Cast your vote and help shape the future of the realm!

Brek

Great writing! Yes- trolls for all. Like on twitter.

I was leaning No before reading what Brek scribed, but I Cast My Vote for YES

I vote NO.

I think it hurts the flavor of the game. Trolls are always bad guys and evil and I just can't get my head around the Elves or Ancient Ones deploying Trolls in battle. We took undead from non evil kingdoms for the same reason.

It works for them. Having Trolls incites a kingdom to attack or plunder PCs and be aggressive militarily which is exactly what Evil kingdoms should do.

However there is a game balance issue to consider. Possible ways to balance the Troll advantage may be:
(1) Making political conquest more difficult for Evil kingdoms. -- (except DE)
(2) Making Ents more available to 'Good" kingdoms and possibly giving them a special ability
(3) An idea I suggested a few times before would be giving Paladins, which are unavailable to Evil nations, considerable special bonuses. Such as a passive healing or a Valor bonus. Or both. I like Both. Knights of Styx, the evil counterpart of Paladins, would not have these abilities or would be removed from the game altogether.

Lord Garth
2022-2024 First Runner up Alamaze Champion

I Vote NO

To even it out give trolls a negative, dbl damage to magic or trolls cannot teleport or something like that.

Ruingruth

(Yesterday, 04:11 AM)Lord Garth Wrote: I vote NO.

I think it hurts the flavor of the game.  Trolls are always bad guys and evil and I just can't get my head around the Elves or Ancient Ones deploying Trolls in battle.  We took undead from non evil kingdoms for the same reason.

It works for them.  Having Trolls incites a kingdom to attack or plunder PCs and be aggressive militarily which is exactly what Evil kingdoms should do.

However there is a game balance issue to consider.  Possible ways to balance the Troll advantage may be:
(1) Making political conquest more difficult for Evil kingdoms.  -- (except DE)
(2) Making Ents more available to 'Good" kingdoms and possibly giving them a special ability
(3) An idea I suggested a few times before would be giving Paladins, which are unavailable to Evil nations, considerable special bonuses. Such as a passive healing or a Valor bonus.  Or both.  I like Both.  Knights of Styx, the evil counterpart of Paladins, would not have these abilities or would be removed from the game altogether.

Lord Garth
2022-2024 First Runner up Alamaze Champion
Again to much programming to put abilities on troops, hence the reason for the poll.

How do hill giants compare to trolls? We see those with some neutrals and goods.

No…Smile

Evil gets fear, Good offsets that with stalwart.

Evil gets undead and trolls, and few other beasties that add bonus to do evil.

I like the idea of Garth to remove Knights of Styx from game, and let Paladins be Good only recruitable. Pops that had Knights could be replaced if possible with Northman or Zamorans. Imo

Good mages get the summon spells, however those could use some revamping and even a special innate per type. All have the exact same write up so?

I also think being able to recruit more than two out of pops will fix some of this, it will also make raise pop center population spell more important.

The revamp on types of companions that each kingdom can recruit will also balance it iut.. less for Tyrant and Darkelf and more types for Nomad and Ancient ones. For example. Smile

(Yesterday, 12:41 PM)Strongwill Wrote: No…Smile

Evil gets fear, Good offsets that with stalwart.

Evil gets undead and trolls, and few other beasties that add bonus to do evil.

I like the idea of Garth to remove Knights of Styx from game, and let Paladins be Good only recruitable. Pops that had Knights could be replaced if possible with Northman or Zamorans. Imo

Good mages get the summon spells, however those could use some revamping and even a special innate per type. All have the exact same write up so?

I also think being able to recruit more than two out of pops will fix some of this, it will also make raise pop center population spell more important.

The revamp on types of companions that each kingdom can recruit will also balance it iut.. less for Tyrant and Darkelf and more types for Nomad and Ancient ones. For example. Smile

Maybe buff up the Hill Giants to make them roughly equivalent to Trolls and make them more widely available to good guys?

(Yesterday, 07:09 AM)Brekk Wrote:
(Yesterday, 04:11 AM)Lord Garth Wrote: (2) Making Ents more available to 'Good" kingdoms and possibly giving them a special ability
They have some +10% defense ability. Its all hush hush though. I agree other kingdoms should be able to recruit them (EL, DU, FF for example all make sense).