Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valhalla Updates
I don't really love that option. In the same game, I would have received 1,800 status points and my opponent would receive a mere 550.

We want to encourage Duel games without them having a disproportionate affect.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

For Diamond's Duel game, here is the various options:
Winner got 11000 SP's
Challenger got 3300

Using the options presented:

(33%)
W = 3630
L = 1089

(50%)
W = 5500
L = 1650

(manually removing the 5000 Rex victory SP's)
W = 6000
L = 3300

(Tark's formula)
W = 1833
L = 550
The Frost Lord,
Centurion in the Military War College
Pioneer of Alamaze

I am leaning towards the manual removal of the status points for the Rex victory. That reward is appropriate in a 12 player game, but in a 2 player game, it skews the results (because 1 of 2 players will get it all of the time - as opposed to 1 of 12 players).

thoughts?

...because I do like the idea of including these games because it promotes the variant...
The Frost Lord,
Pioneer of Alamaze

Looking at the point amounts the 33% to me has about the right feel to it at least for me. I really do not like the idea of removing the points for the win. Not all these games will end in a win. Also you should be rewarded for getting the win. The game I played that ended in a draw would be worth more points than the games I won (if 5k was removed) because a draw by default goes 18 round and you have time to accumulate more status point getting items. Sure you could get a win on turn 18 and really rack up the points but I would suspect not to common.

That makes sense.  For Duels, I think that we should set a percentage of the SP's to go toward your total status points (like 33% or 50%).  

For all other formats, I am leaning toward Tark's formula, because we can scale SP's to the number of players in the game.  But, I would like to point out that when there are 12 kingdoms involved, the formula matches (exactly) to the average of the player's kingdoms.  For example:  A 4-player Warlord game where I get 10000 for each of my 3 kingdoms, the average is, of course, 10000 (10000+10000+10000=30000/3=10000).  And Tark's formula also results in 10000 (30000/12*4=10000).

The reason I like Tark's formula is because (for example) if I play in a Classic game with 12 players, I would get more status points than if I played in a Classic games with only 10 players.  It incentivizes trying to fill the game (including the Dispersed kingdoms).
The Frost Lord,
Pioneer of Alamaze

The only negative would be that in the warlords example you would end up lowering your average per time played for each particular kingdom. This could be easily fixed by weighting how much that game effects that average similar to ITs formula as well. Or simple remove the average per time played stat not sure anyone would really miss it especially if it actually gives no useful information.

I do agree ITs formula is a good addition overall just need to analyze how it effects other cumulative stats and more likely the effect on other averages.

I like Tark's formula; I like how it is proportional to how many players are in the game.

I think that we are going to include different views into the data. My intention is that there will be reports that continue to only include "Classic" game data....and others reports that combine all games variants. We should be able to accommodate both scenarios. I am trying to analyze the various potential impacts now.
The Frost Lord,
Pioneer of Alamaze