Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Ally/Limited Ally
I am not experienced with this game that is for sure! But I was wondering if it is feasible to have a no ally game? Or possibly a 1 ally team type game.

I am one of those players that really isn't huge into going outside of the game to talk and work with allies in a quick turnaround game such as this.

I was thinking something along the lines of a game where there is no contact outside of the forum for the game and no alliances. Or possibly limited alliances like a team of 2 games.

If it went the way of the no alliance singles game I would definately want to see no contact outside of the forum and no NaP's. Just single player war with no allies. As I stated I am sure there are some kingdoms that would get the upper hand and some would get the shaft. I am not experienced enough to figure that out just yet.

The second option would be a team game with 2 players joining to fight it out vs the rest of the 2 player kingdoms. If there is an odd number of kingdoms then 1 would be played as NPC. Again no NaP's with other 2 member kingdoms and all posts would be in the game thread only. (Gentleman's agreement and honor system).

If something like this is feasible lets get a discussion going about the pro's and cons and come up with something.

I would be interested in a 'gunboat diplomacy' type of game. The idea of just having to do your orders without working allies is interesting. But I think we need a larger player base before we try it. Right now, I'm sure at least a few would cheat by getting together via email. Not sure why as it would kill the whole point, but I know enough about human nature to know that at least a few would. So my answer is yes, but not now.

I have found quite the opposite in games like Hyborean War and Duelmasters. Players tend to follow the rules pretty much to the letter with the exception of accidents or not knowing. I have found most people are actually honest when it comes to gaming. It seems there would be a lot of cheating but there rarely is.

(06-30-2013, 05:23 PM)Tripwire Wrote: I have found quite the opposite in games like Hyborean War and Duelmasters. Players tend to follow the rules pretty much to the letter with the exception of accidents or not knowing. I have found most people are actually honest when it comes to gaming. It seems there would be a lot of cheating but there rarely is.

I think there are enough players feeling the time constraints of playing multiple fast turn around high diplomacy games that they would be inclined to TRY this idea.

I am currently inclined to move to the 1 week format to slow things down. However, I think I could manage the fast turn around no ally HONOR BASED concept.

Maybe the forum could be used to arrange food trades.

Also I think the format could be especially hard on the UN but maybe that is just my perspective.

(06-30-2013, 06:46 PM)Hawk_ Wrote:
(06-30-2013, 05:23 PM)Tripwire Wrote: I have found quite the opposite in games like Hyborean War and Duelmasters. Players tend to follow the rules pretty much to the letter with the exception of accidents or not knowing. I have found most people are actually honest when it comes to gaming. It seems there would be a lot of cheating but there rarely is.

I think there are enough players feeling the time constraints of playing multiple fast turn around high diplomacy games that they would be inclined to TRY this idea.

I am currently inclined to move to the 1 week format to slow things down. However, I think I could manage the fast turn around no ally HONOR BASED concept.

Also I think the format could be especially hard on the UN but maybe that is just my perspective.

Would also be pretty difficult for SO and WA.

If the game administrator feels that a particular kingdom is at a distinct disadvantage in this silent format, how about replacing that kingdom with a 1st cycle position? Replace the Underworld with the Paladin. Or throw in the Swampmen Smile

This silent game is just getting better and better ....

Hell No!

I will gladly play the UN in such a format. With limited communication between players the UN will be truly feared - I promise.

The most difficult problem the UN faces is the alliances among other kingdoms...
Lord Thanatos

(06-30-2013, 07:57 PM)Lord Thanatos Wrote:

Hell No!

I will gladly play the UN in such a format. With limited communication between players the UN will be truly feared - I promise.

The most difficult problem the UN faces is the alliances among other kingdoms...

As the purveyor of Alamaze, and having noted animosity and accusations in public games, I am a bit concerned about what will ensue with an honor system. Are we now to enforce the honor system, with no means to do so? Field complaints of cheating? We also are geared with personas, so we would need to implement multiple personas which we aren't setup to do presently for anonymity, not to mention some of the other suggestions for additional rule changes. I can just see a lot of backlash from this. We already have five variants going. But I might do The Writ. This is a lot of stuff to do that means we wouldn't be doing other stuff, which means everything else is pushed back. Would this just be a free new option?

Rick, I am not planning to sign up for another game right now so have no vested interest in this format.

That being said, this could be a pretty simple variant. All that the Game Master would have to do is refrain from listing who the players are with the T0 report. That's it. Let the players do the rest on their own. We can wait until the game ends to announce who played which position and how well they did. There would be NO FORUM POSTINGS on that game until after it ended.

The rule (not enforced) would simply be that there is no communication about the game that doesn't involve the built in orders that require an envoy. Some players might cheat, others won't, but at the very least players would have the chance to play a game without diplomacy.

This could be the easiest game that the GM has to manage.

This variant should have been named 'No Diplomacy'.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

(06-30-2013, 11:39 PM)Lord Diamond Wrote: Rick, I am not planning to sign up for another game right now so have no vested interest in this format.

That being said, this could be a pretty simple variant. All that the Game Master would have to do is refrain from listing who the players are with the T0 report. That's it. Let the players do the rest on their own. We can wait until the game ends to announce who played which position and how well they did. There would be NO FORUM POSTINGS on that game until after it ended.

The rule (not enforced) would simply be that there is no communication about the game that doesn't involve the built in orders that require an envoy. Some players might cheat, others won't, but at the very least players would have the chance to play a game without diplomacy.

This could be the easiest game that the GM has to manage.

This variant should have been named 'No Diplomacy'.

This is easiest, ah, why?