Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why games end so early
(12-26-2013, 08:41 PM)Lord Diamond Wrote: I wouldn't mind some games with no SVC at all.

This Smile
I did learn one thing from my "mentor".

(12-26-2013, 08:42 PM)Wynterbreeze Wrote:
(12-26-2013, 08:41 PM)Lord Diamond Wrote: I wouldn't mind some games with no SVC at all.

This Smile

This x 2 Smile

Keep the ESO however

(12-26-2013, 06:47 PM)Cargus10 Wrote: Well, I'll toss in my 2 cents. The game does have balance issues between offense and defense. If I am understanding things, the desire is to make it so that a 1-on-1 fight is something that, given similar skill levels, isn't over except for the crying in 3-4 turns. Gang-ups are going to happen, it's the nature of how diplomacy works. Butif the attacker can have friends, so can the defender - problem is, by the time the defender can get his friends notified and mustered, his position is in ruins.

I can think of two things that would greatly enhance defense:

1. Passive Status Quo. If an emissary is A) in a player owned pop center and B) has no other orders for the turn, allow them to do a free (no cost, no order) 310 at half their normal value. So a Baron would give 25% +/- 5%.

2. Allow defending groups to go behind walls. This would add the group and the pop center's defense together. As a penalty, the chance of promotion for any of the defender's leaders would be very small, and of course therer would be no withdrawal chance at all. This would tend to promote more sieges probably.

Would either of the above be desirable? That's a philosophy issue as to how one wants the game to play out.

I love this idea! Especially number 1. Would also make sleep and agents more valuable.
Lord Brogan

156 - GN

(12-26-2013, 09:12 PM)Cargus10 Wrote:
(12-26-2013, 08:42 PM)Wynterbreeze Wrote:

This Smile

This x 2 Smile

Keep the ESO however

This x 3 Smile

The most fun I ever had playing Alamaze was when Phil ran a game with no SVC and no turn limit. If I remember correctly, the game ended on turn 42 with the UN claiming 5 regions. It was a spectacular contest! High-level wizards destroying popcenters everywhere; high-level agents making kings hide under their beds; huge, huge, huge armies; and I believe 6 or 7 players were still active at the end of the contest.
Lord Thanatos

Just want to say, I don't know that games are actually ending any faster than they used to. Someone could cross check Valhalla and the "Stuff from Phil's old website". I just remember Phil saying games ended around T20 on average, and we seem to be going longer more often than not. Of course, we are going through 20 turns now in 3 months instead of maybe 9.

I think 20 turns or so is about normal from what I recall from the later NC days (I got back into Alamaze with Pegasus around 2002). There were the same issues with teaming up at that point.
-The Deliverer

(12-30-2013, 06:21 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: Of course, we are going through 20 turns now in 3 months instead of maybe 9.

Good point.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.