Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pricing and Service
The flat fee is an interesting idea but like Bash (above) my first thought is that the higher price might dissuade the first time buyer.

I do think some work needs to be done integrating first-time players. The initial resources in the forum need to be better organized. Information that is helpful is really spread out over random threads and you have flail about a bit to find it. We also all use a ton of shortcuts and acronyms in our postings which doesn't make it easy for the real newbies. My $02

I've personally tried to enlist about 6 people to play but many site their available time as an issue. Once you take a look at the general rules and commands I believe people may be daunted by the level of commitment involved. It is really a huge amount of time at the beginning when your trying to understand everything. It does become much more manageable as you get closer to knowing what you're doing. (Still hoping to reach that point myself one day Wink

And I'd like to take this chance again to say how great both the customer service and the Alamaze community have been. Both are real assets in growing the game's base.
-This Khal Drogo, it's said he has a hundred thousand men in his horde

(06-07-2014, 05:29 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote: I like the flexibility but for me one of the things that attracted me back was the monthly fee vs per turn. I always am exceeding the service levels so would not mind seeing some one game cost as well. Tricky though like titan games are basically over after 5 or so turns but if they cost nothing someone could keep playing just to experiment.

I introduced this as an additional option, not as a replacement for the subscription fee. I had thought that I might like to join one more game, but I don't want to change my basic subscription. It would be nice to be able to add one more game at need.

It probably wouldn't be for a new player unless someone else bought it as a gift.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

We offer Primeval as a prepaid option. Primeval as it exists now is $40 for a 5 player, 5 kingdom game, wins by Rex (so far that has been what has happened) or end of Turn 24 by Lion's Share (status points). If prepaid it doesn't count against service level. Players have chosen about 50-50 to pay for the game and save the slot or count it as a slot. Feedback from players in this format has been that it is quite a bit different but can be overpowered and may be best for new players to get acquainted with less danger of a disaster early on.

In general, as some here pointed out, per turn or per game is a step backwards in my view for an overall model. And there is absolutely, positively no way the ridiculously low price we have now is going down.

As I have posted elsewhere, I am hoping we have the web based order entry in place before September and am not planning any significant pricing changes before then.

It was just a suggestion. I hadn't thought to lower the price, but to offer another option for those players who might appreciate it.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

(06-08-2014, 12:08 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: As I have posted elsewhere, I am hoping we have the web based order entry in place before September...

The online order validation program that I put on the test server for people to play with also saves the player's orders as an XML file on the server (i.e. web based order entry).

You just need to make a copy of Fall of Rome's login/password web page so that only the account holder and not a stranger may submit a turn for their game.

Other than that, a quick update of the Alamaze code to read XML instead of the spreadsheet file and you're done. If Cypher doesn't know how to do this, I can change the Alamaze code to read the XML file - it's not a big deal.

I've said all of this back 8 months ago so what's the issue? You must have one since you never moved the online order checker from the test server to the Alamaze game server nor did you move the forum link for it to the important threads area for people to reference.

All of this should have been done months ago allowing players to submit an unlimited number of corrections to their turns AND have no price increases for their games.

You, Uncle Mike, are testing my patience. Normally I would have a sense of humor. It has been a rough week without you piling on.

(06-08-2014, 05:35 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: You, Uncle Mike, are testing my patience. Normally I would have a sense of humor. It has been a rough week without you piling on.

Note: I removed my previous response to this since I wrote it when I was half asleep at 1:00 am.

What I meant to say was that the web order entry and validation process is pretty much done and only requires the few steps above to finalize.

Though I am surprised at Rick's response but if he's feeling under the weather then I'll look the other way with what he said (as long as it doesn't happen again).

I'm getting a lot of emails asking when the web order entry will be done so I'm posting my response here so I don't get any more emails.

The web order entry program was finished back in Nov '13 (for free) and all that is needed to complete the process is what I stated above: login and game code to read XML file. I even volunteered to do the XML reader if necessary because it's not a big deal.

However, Rick decided to go a different route which is fine and I haven't worked on this since Nov so if you have any questions, please contact Rick.