Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Dragons & Unusual Sightings
“Bursting into the encampment an exited and weary infantryman exclaimed, I HAVE FOUND IT SIR, What you suspected might be at(-,-)What are your orders?” and “Alone in his tent the commander pondered over his choice; should he move directly to his next objective or delay to explore the unknown and undoubtedly dangerous sighting in area(-,-)” are great finds unless you happen to be running the Black Dragons, then they are frustrating. The rules for BL state “Black dragon groups cannot investigate unusual sightings”. I know this also means patrols cannot investigate however BL wizards can assist and BL agents can investigate. So how does a BL manager take control of these unusual sightings? Anyone?

(08-17-2013, 06:07 AM)Kulvac Wrote: “Bursting into the encampment an exited and weary infantryman exclaimed, I HAVE FOUND IT SIR, What you suspected might be at(-,-)What are your orders?” and “Alone in his tent the commander pondered over his choice; should he move directly to his next objective or delay to explore the unknown and undoubtedly dangerous sighting in area(-,-)” are great finds unless you happen to be running the Black Dragons, then they are frustrating. The rules for BL state “Black dragon groups cannot investigate unusual sightings”. I know this also means patrols cannot investigate however BL wizards can assist and BL agents can investigate. So how does a BL manager take control of these unusual sightings? Anyone?

Well, if you know what artifact is at the encounter and you know its shortname, you may be able to issue one of your agents the steal artifact order and attempt to steal the item from the "wild". That may work around the problem of dragon kingdoms not being allowed to investigate encounters...

You might sell the location to another player. In two of my games, I offered the dragons all the gold and 1 artifact (my choice) for every two that I retrieved based on their information.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

The Dragons should be able to investigate encounters IMHO. It is a needless restriction placed on them. There is no need to lock the dragon player out of this part of the game.

Agreed.
-The Deliverer

Agree, but I think there's a play balance concern on sightings being too easy for RD (and probably GI, among currently allowed Kingdoms) to beat.

Maybe give "large" creatures a penalty to sightings rather than ban them? And maybe give them decreased effectiveness with weapon artifacts (same reason, sized for normal hands)?

Just a thought, might be too much of a pain to code or implement.

(08-17-2013, 08:09 PM)davekuyk Wrote: The Dragons should be able to investigate encounters IMHO. It is a needless restriction placed on them. There is no need to lock the dragon player out of this part of the game.

I couldn't agree more, needless hobbling and weakening that truly inhibits their ability to be competitive in the game.

(08-17-2013, 09:45 PM)HeadHoncho Wrote: Agree, but I think there's a play balance concern on sightings being too easy for RD (and probably GI, among currently allowed Kingdoms) to beat.

Maybe give "large" creatures a penalty to sightings rather than ban them? And maybe give them decreased effectiveness with weapon artifacts (same reason, sized for normal hands)?

Just a thought, might be too much of a pain to code or implement.

The penalty for weapons artifacts is already in place as well. "Black dragons gain no benefit from weapon artifacts".

This is one of the main reasons why I won't play a dragon kingdom again.

While I agree that this is unnecessary and should be changed, it is precisely the reason that I chose to play the Red Dragon. I find that artifact hunting tends to dominate my game play and I wanted a kingdom that would force me to focus on other areas. I am actually becoming a more balanced player as a result.

My biggest beef with this restriction is the heavy weight artifacts are given in status points. The dragons will continue to languish behind other kingdoms because they aren’t permitted to round out their status point totals in this way. I would go so far as to remove status points associated with artifacts if this restriction isn’t lifted. For that matter, they should probably be removed regardless.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.