Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Soap Box
The current Soap Box topic is '3-Way Gang Bang Baby Seal Clubbing'.

I say, communicate with the other players and it won't happen. I also think it is rare and mostly unintentional. I also think that some players are too inclined to get upset once their chance for victory is ruined and miss a huge opportunity to have a lot of fun without that pressure. I have lost a lot more than I have won, but i always have fun.

Lord Thanatos says that we should police ourselves and avoid this so that we don't ruin the game for others.

Rick says he is working on programming ways to discourage this uncommon practice.

Feel free to add your views to this discussion. Or add another Soap Box topic if you like. This thread can handle more than one.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

(10-01-2014, 01:15 AM)Lord Diamond Wrote: The current Soap Box topic is '3-Way Gang Bang Baby Seal Clubbing'.

Was gonna write on this, but then I saw the title and got kinda...kinda like...like when I climb the rope in gym class.
"Have you ever considered piracy? You'd make a wonderful Dread Pirate Roberts."

(10-01-2014, 01:37 AM)Panda Wrote:
(10-01-2014, 01:15 AM)Lord Diamond Wrote: The current Soap Box topic is '3-Way Gang Bang Baby Seal Clubbing'.

Was gonna write on this, but then I saw the title and got kinda...kinda like...like when I climb the rope in gym class.

I didn't mean to scare anyone off. I was making an attempt at humor. Possibly, a failed attempt.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

I was never into the clubbing scene, even in college, I'd rather spend a Saturday night reading or playing video games than going out dancing.

Seriously though it's hard to imagine an in-game mechanic to prevent this. It may even have negative consequences. e.g. Some one might want to attack three kingdoms in their expansion and find that the 3-1 restrictions prevent this. Someone might plan a legitimate one-one attack and find that the intended enemy is already tied up with two kingdoms in a war and this they can't carry out their plans even though there was no coordination.

One possible mechanic is allow the HC to do ceasefires of some kind with a political penalty for violations. Thoough that is open to exploitation too. e.g. UN grabs five villages quickly from RD and then gets the council to pronounce a ceasefire and RD can't retaliate.

(10-01-2014, 12:38 PM)Jumbie Wrote: Seriously though it's hard to imagine an in-game mechanic to prevent this. It may even have negative consequences.

A game mechanic like this already exists in the game. The two dragon kingdoms (BL and RD) are unable to attack each other until turn 10 due to a Blood Pact. This concept can be expanded to include other kingdoms if necessary to prevent multiple kingdoms ganging up on others. Inherit treaties will dissolve over time.

(10-01-2014, 01:12 PM)unclemike Wrote:
(10-01-2014, 12:38 PM)Jumbie Wrote: Seriously though it's hard to imagine an in-game mechanic to prevent this. It may even have negative consequences.

A game mechanic like this already exists in the game. The two dragon kingdoms (BL and RD) are unable to attack each other until turn 10 due to a Blood Pact. This concept can be expanded to include other kingdoms if necessary to prevent multiple kingdoms ganging up on others. Inherit treaties will dissolve over time.

Are you sure that is still in effect? It doesn't say anything about that in the setups and I recently watched the RD take the BL capitol on turn 8.

(10-01-2014, 01:12 PM)unclemike Wrote:

I have never heard of this.
-This Khal Drogo, it's said he has a hundred thousand men in his horde

I'm also curious on the Blood Pact thing. Now that UncleMike brings it up, I remember it from waaaaaay back when... and I can't think of a time when I've played RD or BL and had contact with either of the other before turn 10, but I also have played both a few times now and don't recall ever reading about it since the reboot.
-The Deliverer

I think that was old Alamaze.

Seriously, does the 3-way coordinated beat down actually happen? I haven't seen it. Any time I have been fighting three kingdoms at once, other kingdoms were fighting them too. More of a Grand Melee than a beat down.
 Lord Diamond

(10-01-2014, 02:24 PM)Lord Diamond Wrote: I think that was old Alamaze.

Seriously, does the 3-way coordinated beat down actually happen? I haven't seen it. Any time I have been fighting three kingdoms at once, other kingdoms were fighting them too. More of a Grand Melee than a beat down.

Yes, I have been both the giver and receiver of the 3 way. I have also watched it happen to other players. I have been trying to avoid being the giver in my more recent games.

This raises an interesting question: Does the anon team game setting make it acceptable for a team of 3 kingdoms to attack one other kingdom?

On first glance you would say that the single kingdom has 2 allies so it is really 3:3. However, the allies may be facing other teams so they can offer no assistance. Therefore it really is just a 3:1.

I am just wondering how other players view these scenarios and would like to conduct game play that leads to entertaining contests for all involved.