Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Choosing Kingdom Balance
(09-10-2016, 12:08 AM)unclemike Wrote: What I would like to see is another 20 kingdom Slugfest game

Sign me up Smile

(09-10-2016, 12:14 AM)Tomag Ironfist Wrote:
(09-10-2016, 12:08 AM)unclemike Wrote: What I would like to see is another 20 kingdom Slugfest game

Sign me up Smile

Hell yeah.  I say even let it be random so you do not know who you are fighting in the different regions

(09-10-2016, 12:08 AM)unclemike Wrote: Yes but to be fair, the number of times that a wizard kingdom is selected over others should also be considered and not just their status points/Valhalla rankings. On page 20 of the Valhalla report, it shows:

Region 1: DU played 7 games, EL only 2
Region 2: NE played 8 games, CI only 1
Region 3: WA played 8 games, DW only 1
Region 4: SO played 5 games, AM played 4 (closest comparison than the others)
Region 8: IL played 6 games, RA only 3

So you can say that the NE is overpowered if based on status points/rankings but that opinion is skewered. What I would like to see is another 20 kingdom Slugfest game but this time around, have players play a kingdom in a different region. So not the same person plays both kingdoms in the same region. Then we'll find out just how unstoppable the Necromancer is if the Cimmerians are knocking on their door on turn 1.

Wizard kingdoms won 5 of the 8 Regular Classic games and was one of the winners in the Alliance Classic game. Wizards took 16 of the 27 Podium positions.
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

(09-09-2016, 10:51 PM)Frost Lord Wrote: One big thing I notice is the brigade counts.

Looking at the Player Stats Report (the summary of all players - page 1), the kingdom that has ended the game fielding the largest army (with the most brigades) is the NE.  This is followed by DE, DU, IL, WA, NO, RA, and SO.

So, 4 of the top 5 largest armies (and 5 of the top 8) have been fielded by Wizard kingdoms (and the DE kingdom, in 2nd place, has Demon Princes that can effectively recruit skeletons like weak wizards + the standard PC and Companion recruitments). 

This is true when you look at the average for all games....The NE and the DU both typically end the game with at least 10 more brigades than the RD on average.

------------------------

I am not advocating that we ONLY nerf the Wizard kingdoms...  You could look at it from another angle and boost the non-magic kingdoms so they can field larger armies...  Or a little of both. I am not sure which way to go....that is not my forte.  :-)

Other factors as well as pointed out in a different thread the Wizard kingdom can replace quality units so much faster as well.  Figure at turn 20 most wizards have 8-10 p7 wizards.  Paying nothing they could summon that many wights.  But if the supercharge even then there options are more open because they can summon and recruit on a PC or in the wild getting champions.   The very most a military kingdom could get is 3 champions 8 green humans figuring 5 groups = 11 units max 3 quality.   Wizards 3 champions, 6 green humans, 10 summoned 4 groups.  So the 11 vs 19 and the wizards were cheaper and better quality, likely 2.5x combat strength or more.   The wizard can then teleport back into any fight   The very next turn even reorganizing the groups prior to the teleport.

You do have a point about the number of games skewing the total accumulated SP's.  I was just responding to Rick's statement about the DA being in first place.

Game   |                      |   Average
Count   |   Kingdom    |   Status Points
8.....Necromancer....16036
5.....Sorcerer...........13710
6.....Dark Elves........13131
5.....Demon Princes..12993
1.....Dwarves..........12835
4.....Nomads...........11989
8.....Pirates.............11703
7.....Druid...............11554
3.....Halflings...........10085
3.....Red Dragons.....10043
8.....Warlock............9854
6.....Illusionist..........9252
1.....Underworld.......8897
5.....Ancient Ones....8500
2.....High Elves........8121
6.....Tyrant..............7897
4.....Atlantians.........7217
4.....Amazons..........7138
3.....Rangers...........6153
3.....Lizard King.......5472
6.....Gnomes...........5452
7.....Sacred Order...5215
2.....Black Dragons..3939
1.....Cimmerians......2310

The average per game shows 2 Wizard kingdoms at the top.  And all of them in the top 50%.
The Frost Lord,
Centurion in the Military War College
Pioneer of Alamaze

...but to Uncle Mike's point (sort of)...

We should not rush to decisions. We do only have 9 games under our belts. That is not quite enough data to really give conclusive results.

Maybe Rick should take our reigning Grand Champions for Classic and give them a free setup and pick the non-magic kingdom he wants each of them to play....? It would pair known good players to play what is perceived as less desirable kingdoms. That may help give us some perspective... just a thought.
The Frost Lord,
Pioneer of Alamaze

The summoned troops often don't have to be fed or paid either!
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

(09-10-2016, 12:52 AM)Frost Lord Wrote: Maybe Rick should take our reigning Grand Champions for Classic and give them a free setup and pick the non-magic kingdom he wants each of them to play....?  It would pair known good players to play what is perceived as less desirable kingdoms.  That may help give us some perspective...  just a thought.

Everything should be free...
 Lord Diamond

(09-10-2016, 12:54 AM)Lord Diamond Wrote:
(09-10-2016, 12:52 AM)Frost Lord Wrote: Maybe Rick should take our reigning Grand Champions for Classic and give them a free setup and pick the non-magic kingdom he wants each of them to play....?  It would pair known good players to play what is perceived as less desirable kingdoms.  That may help give us some perspective...  just a thought.

Everything should be free...

Bad LD :Smile.    I took the AM in this current game filling up as one of the kingdoms Rick listed before.

I took the RD in a recent game....but the problem is that I probably do not qualify as a "Good" player.   Big Grin Confused
The Frost Lord,
Pioneer of Alamaze