Nature
Follow This Easy Process To Get Started Playing Alamaze
Step #1 - Register for Forum Account      Step #2 - Create New Player Account      Step #3 - Sign In  (to issue turn orders and join games)
ATTENTION: After Creating Player Account and Signing In, select the GAME QUEUE link in the Order System screen to Create or Join games.
Alamaze Website                 Search Forum              Contact Support@Alamaze.net

Player Aids             Rulebook             Spellbook             Help Guides             Kingdom Set-Ups             Kingdom Abbreviations             Valhalla             Discord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valhalla - Kingdoms of Alamaze
(08-28-2014, 06:48 PM)Lord Diamond Wrote: We have a new High Chancellor of Alamaze! Wynand is no longer the sole power in the land.

WOO HOO! SUCK IT, WYNAND!!
-The Deliverer

I'm allowed to be excited. I've held the top spot for 0 full moons now, after my previous reign of 0 full moons.
-The Deliverer

Wynand had better win another game soon or he's in danger of losing his Grand Champion spot to VballMichael, who is on fire. Gotta watch that Jumpingfist guy too!
 Lord Diamond

Please do not take any of my comments as a personal insult or as a criticism of the game 'Alamaze', which I very much enjoy. Rather, I hope that my personal insight and unique perspective may, in some way, help make 'Alamaze' more fun, a more successful financial venture, or simply more sustainable as a long-term project. Anyone who reads this post should feel completely free to ignore, disregard, scorn, implement, improve, dispute, or otherwise comment upon its content.

When considering which kingdom is stronger or weaker in a forum post, and what must or must not be done, or which class of kingdom (magical, military, political, divergent) might be favored or damned by recent changes, consider the latest Valhalla kingdom rankings:
http://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/attac...hp?aid=263

(12-07-2014, 02:31 AM)Ry Vor Wrote: When considering which kingdom is stronger or weaker in a forum post, and what must or must not be done, or which class of kingdom (magical, military, political, divergent) might be favored or damned by recent changes, consider the latest Valhalla kingdom rankings:
http://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/attac...hp?aid=263

I find it interesting how well the Underworld has done over the last year.   They have had great success without the advantages of starting position,  strong wizards, or a military.

I agree, Hawk.  And what we don't show in Valhalla is drops, and it seems the Underworld has higher than average drops, probably because it is a somewhat difficult (nuanced) position to play.  The Underworld is sometimes the subject of talk that they are too weak, but they are 3rd in Valhalla.

We hear on the forum too that the changes have hurt the magic kingdoms, but the three wizard kingdoms are in 1st, 6th, and 7th.   And the Gnomes, the next most magical, are #2. So they should be doing better than that? The Demon Princes are 8th but there is concern they are too strong?

The kingdoms that benefited the most from recent kingdom setup changes were 11th, 14th, and 15th.

The Underworld will remain near the top of ranking as long as the points systems favor them. I think we have not finished enough game to really see the effects of 171 on the magic kingdoms. an example is i have won 2 of the warlocks victories accounting for aprox 25% of the warlocks total points. both those victories came before 171 changes. kingdoms like RD will be hard pressed to rank very high as they have a harder run to get points. They recovery artifacts harder, get no wizard points, there military is expensive and consumes a lot of order to run effectively. less orders after military generally less discretion to raise agents and get some easy points. RD grab land but even gaining a region is work less than owning 3 high level agent or a few artifacts. Artifacts over value is the cause for high ranking WI. I have seen many a WI that is content to own there region and not fight anyone gathering artifacts. if left alone they will gain second place without a fight. similar strategy can apply to the UN, except the UN only has to play to his own strengths to rack up points.

Not saying valhalla is broke. I love all the stats and records. just do not like the arguments used to determine a kingdoms strengths sometimes.

(12-07-2014, 06:09 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote: The Underworld will remain near the top of ranking as long as the points systems favor them.  I think we have not finished enough game to really see the effects of 171 on the magic kingdoms.  an example is i have won 2 of the warlocks victories accounting for aprox 25% of the warlocks total points.  both those victories came before 171 changes.   kingdoms like RD will be hard pressed to rank very high as they have a harder run to get points.  They recovery artifacts harder, get no wizard points, there military is expensive and consumes a lot of order to run effectively.  less orders after military generally less discretion to raise agents and get some easy points.  RD grab land but even gaining a region is work less than owning 3 high level agent or a few artifacts.  Artifacts over value is the cause for high ranking WI.  I have seen many a WI that is content to own there region and not fight anyone gathering artifacts.  if left alone they will gain second place without a fight.  similar strategy can apply to the UN, except the UN only has to play to his own strengths to rack up points.

Not saying valhalla is broke.  I love all the stats and records.  just do not like the arguments used to determine a kingdoms strengths sometimes.

You make some good points. You can also look at win%. The UN was still 5th on actual wins for the 12 month chart.  Not sure what type of wins those were.

Regardless of the artifact points I think most players would agree spell 171 was overpowered and really changed the way the whole game was played.  It is interesting to watch how it is evolving after that change.

(12-07-2014, 07:26 PM)Hawk_ Wrote:
(12-07-2014, 06:09 PM)Jumpingfist Wrote: The Underworld will remain near the top of ranking as long as the points systems favor them.  I think we have not finished enough game to really see the effects of 171 on the magic kingdoms.  an example is i have won 2 of the warlocks victories accounting for aprox 25% of the warlocks total points.  both those victories came before 171 changes.   kingdoms like RD will be hard pressed to rank very high as they have a harder run to get points.  They recovery artifacts harder, get no wizard points, there military is expensive and consumes a lot of order to run effectively.  less orders after military generally less discretion to raise agents and get some easy points.  RD grab land but even gaining a region is work less than owning 3 high level agent or a few artifacts.  Artifacts over value is the cause for high ranking WI.  I have seen many a WI that is content to own there region and not fight anyone gathering artifacts.  if left alone they will gain second place without a fight.  similar strategy can apply to the UN, except the UN only has to play to his own strengths to rack up points.

Not saying valhalla is broke.  I love all the stats and records.  just do not like the arguments used to determine a kingdoms strengths sometimes.

You make some good points. You can also look at win%. The UN was still 5th on actual wins for the 12 month chart.  Not sure what type of wins those were.

Regardless of the artifact points I think most players would agree spell 171 was overpowered and really changed the way the whole game was played.  It is interesting to watch how it is evolving after that change.
I have to agree with jumping fist. Game 143 just ended on turn 40 and UN lost his last pc on turn 38 but still won the game by Lions Share? Only 3 Kingdoms owned 2 regions and only 1 made the top 3. I am not even sure if UN owned a pc at games end? Balance seems way out of whack if you can win like that, I guess I just do not understand how that happened and how points system works. The game was supposed to have been won by whom ever owned 4 regions (REX) so it would seem that who ever owned more regions at games end would have been a more viable a winner? The point of the game was to be dominant in owning regions in the game or am I wrong? I am not complaining just trying to understand how this result happened.

The General Rules, Section 30 explains the Victory Conditions and possibilities.  Here is part of it:

The Lion’s Share. In any game in which no player, team, or epic side has achieved the victory conditions by the end of turn 40, the campaign's winner will be the player, or epic side with the greatest Status Point accumulation.

I was under the impression everyone knew the game was ending this turn (40) as it has been discussed on the forum. Therefore, unless someone got four regions, it would be determined by Status Points, and it looks like the Underworld was leading in status points most of the game.

How status points are awarded is described elsewhere.