Alamaze - New

Full Version: #145 - New Player Primeval with Wizard Mentor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
I have gnomes appear in my PC's but I think that is due to wrong orders being sent in. I will not attack anyone, but if someone wants to do some practice, let me know. If anyone needs anything let me know. Going to have to teleport into some lands that are not mine soon to go artifact hunting, perhaps someone would like to trade info? Anyone want to practice battles and such. I am game but please do not take anything without asking. you need a town, no problem. Want to attack my capital, no problem, just let me know so we can set up the fight. I am open to just about anything to help learn the game, but a surprise attack would be lame at this point, and I have a good memory.
(09-06-2014, 02:45 AM)Jumpingfist Wrote: [ -> ]I am seeing a lot of noblemen with shiny black boots in my PCs. Is this something to be concerned about?

I got a few more toys this turn Smile Failed two turns now trying to get my main Mage to p12. A mentor has to keep from getting bored ya know.

JF I'm not sure on this one - I'm checking now and will get you an answer.
(09-06-2014, 02:58 AM)Rogal Wrote: [ -> ]I have gnomes appear in my PC's but I think that is due to wrong orders being sent in. I will not attack anyone, but if someone wants to do some practice, let me know. If anyone needs anything let me know. Going to have to teleport into some lands that are not mine soon to go artifact hunting, perhaps someone would like to trade info? Anyone want to practice battles and such. I am game but please do not take anything without asking. you need a town, no problem. Want to attack my capital, no problem, just let me know so we can set up the fight. I am open to just about anything to help learn the game, but a surprise attack would be lame at this point, and I have a good memory.

Rogal, I think you will be very surprised and perhaps even shocked at how cutthroat Alamaze games are. I was. Players create preformed alliances, targeted for early ganks of other players. Players avoid a fair fight whenever possible - two or three on one attacks are the norm. Suprise attacks are the norm.

I was advised by a very experienced player to play anon games, and I plan on taking that advice. Also love the primeavel format so will seek games as they become available, or perhaps start my own thread one of these days... but first, I need to finish getting my ass whipped in a couple games. And also see the new rules changes come into effect.

Have fun!
Fair fights in 12-15 player games usually end up with both players sitting in the grand stands while other players get their medals at the podium. Two guys standing toe to toe means both guys get their butts kicked. The game is just too balanced for fair fights to result in wins.

That means that sneak attacks, alliances, diplomacy, and back room deals are a necessarry part of the game. Necessarry and FUN. Even when I am on the receiving end of a whooping, it's fun. It's a whole lot more fun when I move the turn before my oponent does and all the fighting is over their towns and treasure! If I am really lucky, I can knock him down before some other guy jumps on my back. I am rarely lucky.

Luckily, there are as many different ways to play this game as there are players. The new Valhalla helps, I think, by giving us more to shoot for than just the podium.
Hummm, now you guys have me concerned. In the future, who should I look out for? Who are the honorable ones and who is not? Are there things like guilds in alamaze that are not official? Who are the baby seal clubbers I wonder? I guess I will find out when I start playing the full blown game. Anyone who wants to PM info and not put it in the open, thanks in advance.
(09-06-2014, 04:20 AM)Rogal Wrote: [ -> ]Hummm, now you guys have me concerned. In the future, who should I look out for? Who are the honorable ones and who is not? Are there things like guilds in alamaze that are not official? Who are the baby seal clubbers I wonder? I guess I will find out when I start playing the full blown game. Anyone who wants to PM info and not put it in the open, thanks in advance.

I didn't say anything about betrayal. I have never had anyone betray me. Nor have I betrayed anyone, although there was one lively discussion about what we meant by 'non-aggression'.

Look out for the player who you haven't spoken to! The one you thought was too far away to bother you. Or the one you didn't contact because you plan to attack him on turn 11; that guy is likely to show up at your door on turn 10.

I don't know any baby seal clubbers, but considering yourself a baby seal might be your first mistake. The other players don't know your skill level or experience. They do know that you are standing in their empire's way with nobles, assassins, and vast armies. Are they supposed to lie down and let you win for the first few games? If you aren't contacting them and negotiating, you are a threat. You are a king! A warlord! Now go out and do kingly warlord stuff.
Well said LD. I have also never seen flat out betrayal. Their is a grey area that does get sometimes muddied. This normally comes down to a players personality and is something you learn as you play games with them. This is also where you have to decide the type of player you wish others to view you. Are you a player that follows the letter of the deal and thrives in the grey or someone who follows the intent of the deal. No right or wrong just style.

As for preformed teams. Players have preferences or find it easier to work with someone they have before. Teams may form before turn 1 but I do not think they form before sign up. You see others you worked with in the past and contact them. This to me is natural it is easier than trying to work with someone you know nothing about. To me this is where new players fail most often. You need to get out there early and contact those around you. It is much less likely someone is going to run you over if your trying to reach out to them especially as a new player. Not always the case though. Some personalities pick a kingdom to attack and set there course no matter who is playing the position. Each person is different.
The Gnome is having issues. You all know about the orders. No one knows about him having to spend most of Saturday in hospital after breaking hand.
Yeesh.
Ouch!

Hope your hand gets better.
Take me off the list for the Cy Young this year.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21